Tire carrier advice

LadyPrelude

This is my ride, I call him Rumble. I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking of buying the Rugged Ridge Spartacus Heavy Duty Tire Carrier Kit, I know there are better carriers but I can get this one at a good price. Is there any reason this carrier won't work with my current bumper, lights and plate set up? I'm running 35" thanks in advance.

FB_IMG_1714425154504.jpg

FB_IMG_1714425160836.jpg

FB_IMG_1714425168959.jpg

I think what you have to worry about with that kit is there is no tie in to the roll cage similar to the Moryde. So even if the hinges are beefier you’re still hanging it on thin sheet metal. With a 35 I think you’ll want something stronger. That carrier looks like you’ll also need to space out the tire snubbers to make contact but I wouldn’t think the bumper clearance would be an issue. I have the same bumper and have plenty of clearance with a 33.

I think what you have to worry about with that kit is there is no tie in to the roll cage similar to the Moryde. So even if the hinges are beefier you’re still hanging it on thin sheet metal. With a 35 I think you’ll want something stronger. That carrier looks like you’ll also need to space out the tire snubbers to make contact but I wouldn’t think the bumper clearance would be an issue. I have the same bumper and have plenty of clearance with a 33.

Thank you, that's very helpful

A stock carrier will work fine if you use the bumper hitch receiver to take the weight off the stock hinges. Cheaper solution too.
rubi spare bumper (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
cav fab just made tire carrier/hinge replacement that does tie into the cage. I only know of one person who has it so I don’t know the specifics on how good it actually is but it seems to solve all the issues with the only down side is they say not able to run stock tail lights so idk if the savvy, metal cloak, or max bilt ones would be ok.
IMG_1092.png

cav fab just made tire carrier/hinge replacement that does tie into the cage. I only know of one person who has it so I don’t know the specifics on how good it actually is but it seems to solve all the issues with the only down side is they say not able to run stock tail lights so idk if the savvy, metal cloak, or max bilt ones would be ok.

I have the cavfab carrier got it when it first came out and painted it to match but hasnt made it ont the TJ yet

Reactions: The4bangertj
This is my ride, I call him Rumble. I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking of buying the Rugged Ridge Spartacus Heavy Duty Tire Carrier Kit, I know there are better carriers but I can get this one at a good price. Is there any reason this carrier won't work with my current bumper, lights and plate set up? I'm running 35" thanks in advance.

View attachment 522882

View attachment 522883

View attachment 522884

I had that one, with a 35". Did not work out well.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ight-weight-35-tire-carrier.54406/post-950668