Tire Carrier Options

Kyle_W

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I was planning on getting a frame tie in kit, latch, and spindle/hinge from JCR and then ordering the tubular steel to create a bumper and tire carrier for my 33" spare tire.

However, I just learned about the Exogate tire carrier option (http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate) and now am curious as to the advantages and disadvantages of each option?

With the Exogate, everything is opened in one swing (no tire carrier and then tailgate open), its less weight than a full tire carrier, it's a much simpler process overall to purchase then just install it, you can still see over your spare when reversing, and it's cheaper.

With a full tire carrier I have the option to add cargo baskets on top etc., but that's really the only advantage right?

Last edited:
I would personally never use anything other than an Exogate type carrier if I needed an aftermarket solution. I have had the swing-outs, and they are a major PITA.

Many people have said that on the forums. To me I don't think it would be that big of a deal. But, so it gets old after a while?

Swing out is a pain if you have your hands full and just need to open the tailgate to throw stuff in the back quickly. If you have enough patience, and need the cargo racks etc., then the swing out carrier is the one for you. They tend to add a lot of weight, though, combined with the bumper you have to have to mount the swing arm to.

I was so tired of opening that swing out tire carrier on my JK that I sold the bumper/tire carrier and replaced it with one that had the integrated carrier that opened with the tailgate.

And, the swing outs need adjustment from time to time, and can rattle.

Ok I gotcha.

I am imagining that the Exogate with a tubular steel rear bumper (to match my front bumper) would AT LEAST be 1/3 lighter than a full tire carrier/bumper combo? Maybe more than 1/3?

At least. You could research and find that out actually.

The problem I encountered with my JK was the integrated tire carrier bumper I bought was just about as heavy as the swing-out, since it still had the tire carrier arm...

Yea the Exogate is 43lbs, and a 6 foot piece of tubular 2x4" 3/16" wall thickness is another 43lbs. I can't find the weight of a full tire carrier though - I assume its over 100lbs. Maybe 120lbs. I see what you are saying!

Reactions: Chris
I would personally never use anything other than an Exogate type carrier if I needed an aftermarket solution. I have had the swing-outs, and they are a major PITA.

X2 to this. I wouldn't bother using anything but the expiate type carrier.

BTW, the best tire carrier money can buy IMHO is the OR-FAB.

Maybe @Jerry Bransford will post some photos of his.

They went out of business for a while, but they're restructuring and they'll be back soon!

BTW, the best tire carrier money can buy IMHO is the OR-FAB.

Maybe @Jerry Bransford will post some photos of his.

They went out of business for a while, but they're restructuring and they'll be back soon!

Yes sir; as I understand it ties into your roll cage or something like that? Something about an amazing design!

Yes sir; as I understand it ties into your roll cage or something like that? Something about an amazing design!

Yep it ties into the rear passenger side roll bar. It truly is the finest tire rack carrier I've ever seen. I have been wanting one for so long. I am just waiting until they open their doors for business again and then I am going to drop the big bucks and get one!

Yep it ties into the rear passenger side roll bar. It truly is the finest tire rack carrier I've ever seen. I have been wanting one for so long. I am just waiting until they open their doors for business again and then I am going to drop the big bucks and get one!

Haha very nice!

I like the Exogate idea. However, I am convinced the reason I could not get Stingers ass up and over some ledges in St George was the extra weight of my Big Daddy rear bumper and the 315 hanging on the swing out. That is some serious weight hanging way back on the fulcrum. Plus it drags the tire when climbing steep stuff ( decreases approach angle). When I am wheeling the spare now goes inside.
Again however, if you don't do much of what I just said the Exo makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: todd.bell.90857
That makes sense. I always have wondered why people take off their spare tire.

But yes I am conservative when I go off road. I wouldn't do anything like that! Even though, yes that tire carrier would be badass. :D

It ties into both sides, it has brackets that are mostly hidden that bolt to the bases of both rear rollbars. It's truly a great design that I've had on both of my TJs. :)

I showed the pictures to Faye and she LIKES it. The swing away with the double shear is more than a royal PITA.

Here are a couple rather poor photos of my ORF carrier... the yellow Jeep isn't mine, its photos of the support brackets are just good.
HolderInstalled.jpg
Left-side-Bracket.jpg
Right-Side-Bracket.jpg
OR-Fab.jpg
OR-Fab mount.JPG
ORFBracketPhoto.jpg