Tire Carrier Options

Okay I'll bite. Why?
In the ORF's case, the wheel support goes through the large center hub opening... the tire rests on top of a support bar so it doesn't use the lug nut holes. It doesn't care what the bolt pattern is.

For the OE/Exogate, you only need to drill a piece of flat steel to match the 5.5" bolt width and install 1/2x20 studs or bolts into it. Then bolt that adapter onto the carrier.

In the ORF's case, the wheel support goes through the large center hub opening... the tire rests on top of a support bar so it doesn't use the lug nut holes. It doesn't care what the bolt pattern is.

For the OE/Exogate, you only need to drill a piece of flat steel to match the 5.5" bolt width and install 1/2x20 studs or bolts into it. Then bolt that adapter onto the carrier.
And there in is the answer mske my own adapter. Had to do that with present set up. How does ORFsecure the tire?

How does ORF secure the tire?
With a big coarse-threaded screw-in T-handle with a backing plate. The wheel doesn't sit on the handle itself, it sits on a steel support positioned just above the screw-in handle. The support is visible in the below photo.

orf_tire_carrier_lg.jpg

Rear-of-TJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
This Exogate, is it simply replacing your factory hinges for your back gate into beefer hinges?

This Exogate, is it simply replacing your factory hinges for your back gate into beefer hinges?

No, it has nothing to do with replacing the tailgate hinges.

The hinges that are on the external tire carrier tie in with the rear roll bar (you have to drill holes). The stock tailgate hinges remain stock and untouched. The wheel / tire is no longer mounted to your tailgate though, it's mounted to the "exogate".

Look at the photo @Jerry Bransford posted above.

I see it, just not following how it opens with the back gate. Only reason I'm enquiring is I've been thinking of getting a rear bumper with a swing gate an hitch built in.

I see it, just not following how it opens with the back gate. Only reason I'm enquiring is I've been thinking of getting a rear bumper with a swing gate an hitch built in.

You don't want the rear bumper with the tire carrier built in. Those things are crappy and the bearings where out pretty quick. The exogate is much higher quality and more durable.

The exogate opens independently of the rear tailgate.

Reactions: Len
You don't want the rear bumper with the tire carrier built in. Those things are crappy and the bearings where out pretty quick. The exogate is much higher quality and more durable.

The exogate opens independently of the rear tailgate.
Are you referring to another tire carrier? The Exogate system replaces the stock hinges and tire rack, and opens with the tailgate...

Are you referring to another tire carrier? The Exogate system replaces the stock hinges and tire rack, and opens with the tailgate...

You got me there... This entire time I've been talking about the OR-Fab tire carrier... DOH.

@Len, ignore everything I just said. My mind was clearly so focused on the OR-Fab that I thought that's what we were talking about.

Reactions: Len
Figured as much...I've looked extensively at the Exogate in the event I need a tire carrier; hate opening one separately from the tailgate.

Reactions: Chris
From what I've seen you can use your factory tire carrier with the Exogate. I was wondering about spacing since I'm running 33x12.5x15 with a 10" wheel. You all seem very knowledgeable on this subject. Just wanting to learn more.

From what I've seen you can use your factory tire carrier with the Exogate. I was wondering about spacing since I'm running 33x12.5x15 with a 10" wheel. You all seem very knowledgeable on this subject. Just wanting to learn more.
You can just replace the stock hinges with the Exogate hinges and run your stock carrier. Whether the tire would fit would depend on the wheel backspacing, bumper being run, etc. GR8Tops could probably answer your question, though.

@Chris ... not having any luck hearing back from Exogate since I messaged them. I know you have a lot of knowledge about this. In your opinion.. would it work. Factory spare carrier with the Exogate holding a Micky Thompson wheel 15x10" wide with 33x12.5x15 tire? I'm wanting to order parts soon, am wanting expert advice if it should work. TIA.

@Chris these are the specs on backspacing.
  • Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4.5"
  • Size: 15x8 or 15x10
  • Backspacing: 3.63
  • Backspacing Range: 3.50" - 3.74"