Tire Carrier Options

It's hard to say only because I have no idea what the dimensions are on the exogate. In my mind though it should work just fine. What you're talking about is a very common size of wheel/tire combo. So they'd be foolish to make a tire carrier that won't fit a common size setup.

Reactions: Len
@Chris that's kinda my thoughts. It does come with a bolt on spacer between the Exogate an the factory carrier. From the installation instructions that's the best I can tell anyways. Thanks for your reply.

@Chris that's kinda my thoughts. It does come with a bolt on spacer between the Exogate an the factory carrier. From the installation instructions that's the best I can tell anyways. Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at all. The size you're talking about is common. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it will fit just fine!

I just can't stomach modifying my Jeep anymore. I want to keep my tailgate carrier, however I don't want to f*** it up either by having a big tire on it (33" tire on a 15" steelie is heavy). I already tried that for a while and it made me cringe watching that spare tire jiggle whenever I shut my tailgate.

So I could go down a notch, to 31" tires, since they are lighter, however that's a "downgrade" that I don't want to do. D:

Any other options? Try a lighter 33" spare tire combo on my tailgate? Or downgrade to 31" tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're one to always rotate your spare in with the other tires, your choices would be find a spare carrier that will work with 33s, or go down to 32s or 31s. If you don't rotate in the spare tire, why not get an 8" wide alloy wheel for it - lighter, and easier to mount. I still believe the Exogate would work with your wheel/tire current setup, though. Were you looking at just the Exogate hinges alone, or their hinge/tire carrier combination?

http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

What's everyone's opinion of Bestop's carrier?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12203_0103_07.htm
I appears to function similarly to the Exogate system, for a bit lower price. However, I see a couple of things that I can comment on:
I had an Expedition One bumper/tire carrier on a JK Rubicon, and it had a tailgate connection on the swing arm that functions the same as what I can see on the Bestop, an adjustable swiveling bolt type of thing that allowed the swing arm to pivot when the tailgate was opened. It worked well for the most part, but made noise after a while, and it had to be lubricated from time to time in order for it to work properly. It also could get out of adjustment. The Bestop also requires drilling holes in the Jeep tub to the right of the hinges.

My take - if I was going to spend upwards of $300 for an aftermarket spare tire carrier, I would prefer the Exogate, which replaces the oem hinges with much stouter hinges (that can be greased) in the process, as well as add a much beefier spare tire holder. Plus, no extra drilling into the tub.

If I keep talking about these, I am going to find myself ordering one...

Reactions: DraykenK
If you're one to always rotate your spare in with the other tires, your choices would be find a spare carrier that will work with 33s, or go down to 32s or 31s. If you don't rotate in the spare tire, why not get an 8" wide alloy wheel for it - lighter, and easier to mount. I still believe the Exogate would work with your wheel/tire current setup, though. Were you looking at just the Exogate hinges alone, or their hinge/tire carrier combination?

http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

I'm worried about my hinges and my tailgate as well, so I'd either get the exogate, or downgrade. I've thought about an alloy rim - however I don't think it'd be THAT much lighter?

I also was thinking about just mounting a 31" tire as my spare - and only running 4 33" tires?

Options:
- Buy an exogate
- Downgrade all tires to 31"
- Downgrade JUST my spare to 31" - albeit it may look funky
- Mount a 33" on my steelie spare and just wait for it to cause problems
- Mount my 33" spare on an alloy rim and roll the dice?
- Make some kind of steel shelf to sit beneath my spare tire, which is certainly possible

Because I've looked at the weights between a 33x12.5 and a 33x10.5 and there is barely a weight difference. When you go to a 31" tire however the weight drops a lot.

I'm worried about my hinges and my tailgate as well, so I'd either get the exogate, or downgrade. I've thought about an alloy rim - however I don't think it'd be THAT much lighter?

I also was thinking about just mounting a 31" tire as my spare - and only running 4 33" tires?

Options:
- Buy an exogate
- Downgrade all tires to 31"
- Downgrade JUST my spare to 31" - albeit it may look funky
- Mount a 33" on my steelie spare and just wait for it to cause problems
- Mount my 33" spare on an alloy rim and roll the dice?
- Make some kind of steel shelf to sit beneath my spare tire, which is certainly possible

Because I've looked at the weights between a 33x12.5 and a 33x10.5 and there is barely a weight difference. When you go to a 31" tire however the weight drops a lot.

If it was me, I'd just save up the money, get an exogate and do it right the first time!

If it was me, I'd just save up the money, get an exogate and do it right the first time!

That is certainly the right way to do it!

I just can't stomach spending another $400 on my Jeep, and end up modifying it even more!

I think I'm just going to drop to 31" tires completely. They are almost 1/2 as expensive as 33" tires, they are lighter, easier to balance, and put let stress on everything in my suspension. I don't want to get rid of my 33's, however. They look'a good.

That is certainly the right way to do it!

I just can't stomach spending another $400 on my Jeep, and end up modifying it even more!

I think I'm just going to drop to 31" tires completely. They are almost 1/2 as expensive as 33" tires, they are lighter, easier to balance, and put let stress on everything in my suspension. I don't want to get rid of my 33's, however. They look'a good.

Isn't changing 5 tires going to run you more than $400 anyway? I mean, if you're going to spend the $$, you could end up with a better tailgate, tire carrier, and keep the 33" tires...just thinking out loud...

Reactions: Chris
Isn't changing 5 tires going to run you more than $400 anyway? I mean, if you're going to spend the $$, you could end up with a better tailgate, tire carrier, and keep the 33" tires...just thinking out loud...

Good point!

Certainly a good point, however I want to keep my tailgate and my body as stock as possibly. Wheels and tires are a separate issue!

Certainly a good point, however I want to keep my tailgate and my body as stock as possibly. Wheels and tires are a separate issue!

Just so you know, I did not mean a new tailgate (although it would seem new with the HD Exogate hinges). I can see no down side to the Exogate system, other than the initial purchase price. I plan to add it to my Rubicon with 32" tires hopefully within the next year.

It sort of seems like you're set on 31" tires...if so, go for it, it's your Jeep!

Last edited:
Just so you know, I did not mean a new tailgate (although it would seem new with the HD Exogate hinges). I can see no down side to the Exogate system, other than the initial purchse price. I plan to add it to my Rubicon with 32" tires hopefully within the next year.

It sort of seems like you're set on 31" tires...if so, go for it, it's your Jeep!

Oh yes I know! It just beefs up your tailgate, and you use the existing tailgate carrier.

But trust me, I like the 33" tires. I don't want to get rid of them!

I run 33 inch tires on 8 inch wide rims on the stock tailgate and bracket here's the trick I spaced the tire perfectly so the tire rests on the angle of the bumper to reduce vibration and support weight and not flex the tailgate. FYI I went from 33 x 12.5 steel rims to 33 x 10.5 with alloy rims and saved 9 pounds per wheel tire combo. my 15 x 8 alloy I just weighed and it came in at 23 pounds by itself.

Oh and you can't run a 31 inch spare with 33 inch tires, don't mess up your drivetrain, if you're not gonna run the right size spare don't bring it at all

Reactions: Chris
This picture is before the last storm, add 5-8 more feet

IMG_1087.JPG