Tire pressure

Ok guys, let me ask this. What is the downside of inflating the tires to a higher pressure? I have 31X10.5X15 BFG KO2 AT on my 2000. When they were installed, the shop aired them up to 35 psi. For street usage, won't it significantly lower MPG dropping down into 25-26 psi because of more tire surface in contact with the road? Plus, doesn't it make the tire wear differently? Thanks

Ok guys, let me ask this. What is the downside of inflating the tires to a higher pressure? I have 31X10.5X15 BFG KO2 AT on my 2000. When they were installed, the shop aired them up to 35 psi. For street usage, won't it significantly lower MPG dropping down into 25-26 psi because of more tire surface in contact with the road? Plus, doesn't it make the tire wear differently? Thanks
Overinflating tires makes them ride harder, wear unevenly, and it reduces the tire contact patch which reduces traction. On the other hand, if the roads are covered in water from heavy rains, being inflated to a higher pressure raises the speed at which they'll hydroplane, a good thing.

Reactions: JMT
Question for @Jerry Bransford. I was reading another post and then found this one and had a tire pressure question.

When I bought my '99 4.0 TJ it has a 2" body lift and 33x12.5x15 tires. The tires were bald and cupped badly and rode like crap. I bought a set of used Wildpeak AT's in the same size with lots of tread left. Took it to a local shop and had them installed and that alone made it ride MUCH better. The suspension is stock and hammered so it wanders and shocks are old so ride is kinda rough. Came across a thread where you said to someone to run 26psi for around town on 33's. I never checked my pressures after I got the used tires put on. Soooo I went out today and checked and they had set them to 40psi! :eek: So I started letting some air out and my coworker said to run what the door says which is 33psi. I put it at 33psi and it runs MUCH better again...lol. He was concerned that 26psi is too low and will wear out the tires faster. I'm not concerned much about wearing out the tires but 7 more psi lower is a lot. Will it ride that much better at 26psi? I do run on the freeway every now and then but only go about 65mph max in it.

Air pressure is totally tire size dependent and your door jamb sticker doesn't show the correct air pressure for 33" tires. Look at your sticker and you'll see that 33 psi it shows is for a smaller tire size. The bigger the tire the less air pressure that should be inside.

Correct air pressure also depends on the vehicle weight. For 33" tires supporting a Wrangler TJ, go with 26 psi when the Jeep is lightly loaded. Go to 28 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded with people and/or gear. Really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilbomb
Thanks! I just lowered them all to 26 psi. Will see how they are tomorrow on the way to work and will report back. :thumbup:

Reactions: JMT
The right tire pressure....it’s the little things in life....:beer-toast1:

Reactions: Lilbomb