Tires or Wheels to Remove Need for Wheel Spacers

I ran Canyon wheels with the same back spacing you have for years with a 2.5" lift and 31x10.50's. Got a little bit of rub on the sway bar and a touch on the lower arms at full lock.
1.jpg

Or you could reduce the turning radius of your Jeep because the noise bothers you. I guess either way works.

So what's the difference between "stop turning when it starts to rub" and adding a washer to the stop? They both take away from the turning radius.

Thanks for all the input, that helps a ton.

I still would prefer no spacers, but I'm understanding the thinking behind having spacers a bit more now...

@bobthetj03 That was one question I had about the narrower tire option (switching to 30" tires, then questioning the 2" lift). I believe my wheels (oem gamblers) have 5.25" backspacing based on another post on this forum — would that then be too much compared to 4"?

@Fouledplugs Although, very interesting about the advantages of a narrower tire. I'm curious, what's your setup?

At least it seems like I could experiment - radius/rubbing with the spacers off with 1 washer vs. no washer.
I dont run a tire as tall as yours. A 235/75-r15

So what's the difference between "stop turning when it starts to rub" and adding a washer to the stop? They both take away from the turning radius.
You have the option of turning tighter if you do not add the stops. The tires do not prevent you from turning tighter, they just make noise when you do it.

• Wow
Reactions: CodaMan
Good point. The true, “fix,” is to get a wheel with an appropriate offset to match the choice in much wider tire.

So, another dumb question - how do I determine the minimum backspacing necessary in a new wheel for 31/10.5 tires to not rub? (just curious, since I'll consider doing that when these tires wear out)

I went the opposite way. I have a 2.5 inch OME lift and 265/75R16 tires (about 31.6 inch) on Moabs. I had no tire rubbing or binding in the U-joints at full lock so I removed the steering stops (which have the locknut welded on) and replaced them with new stops that reduced the turning radius further, still with no rubbing or binding. My limit now is the clearance to the swaybar pivots. Everyone said don't do this, something is going to break. Nothing has so far and I love the tight turning radius.

Last edited:
I went the opposite way. I have a 2.5 inch OME lift and 265/75R16 tires (about 31.6 inch) on Moabs. I had no tire rubbing or binding in the U-joints at full lock so I removed the steering stops (which have the locknut welded on) and replaced them with new stops that reduced the turning radius further, still with no rubbing or binding. My limit now is the clearance to the swaybar pivots. Everyone said don't do this, something is going to break. Nothing has so far and I love the tight turning radius.
Did you relocate or replace trackbars?

So, another dumb question - how do I determine the minimum backspacing necessary in a new wheel for 31/10.5 tires to not rub? (just curious, since I'll consider doing that when these tires wear out)

Thanks! So its 1:1 (9.5 inches to 10.5 = at least on inch less of backspacing (4.25 instead of 5.25)

I did not relocate or replace the front trackbar. The axle is shifted slightly to the driver's side but not enough to cause any problems. The rear trackbar is a JKS adjustable with the angled bracket.
I have KO2s, that are about 30.5" x 10.6" on Alcoas (5.5" BS) with the OME lift (no spacers) and only my passenger tire rubs at full left lock. For now, I'm using the stock trackbars.

I have KO2s, that are about 30.5" x 10.6" on Alcoas (5.5" BS) with the OME lift (no spacers) and only my passenger tire rubs at full left lock. For now, I'm using the stock trackbars.

You have half an inch more backspacing than me. I also have Currie control arms that provide a little more clearance than the stock arms.

Your passenger side rubs at full left lock? Is it rubbing on the swaybar?

You have half an inch more backspacing than me. I also have Currie control arms that provide a little more clearance than the stock arms.

Your passenger side rubs at full left lock? Is it rubbing on the swaybar?
I forgot to check, but I believe it’s hitting the top of the shock tower. I will check it later. I do have ZJ steering, but otherwise stock.

I’m torn between new rims with less BS and an adjustable TB to address it. I know I can just put some washers on the steering stops, but I’d like to preserve the maximum turning radius if I can.

Reactions: Fouledplugs