TJ 2.5 engine replacement

Just a bump on this thread. How have things been with the new motor? Anything you would do different?

Got a 2.5 and have had the same idea about throwing in another stock 2.5 when this one’s decides to go. Stock gears and 33s it does 70 so it’s really not bad considering I’ve driven across the country 5 times in it. How long was the process to take the old out? How long did it take to put the new one in? How many miles do you have on it now?

Just a bump on this thread. How have things been with the new motor? Anything you would do different?

Motor runs really good. No issues so far. Nothing I would do different either, biggest thing I’m glad I did is do a new clutch assembly and fly wheel while I was in there. I daily drive it to work, and it’s going strong

Reactions: Potomus Pete
Got a 2.5 and have had the same idea about throwing in another stock 2.5 when this one’s decides to go. Stock gears and 33s it does 70 so it’s really not bad considering I’ve driven across the country 5 times in it. How long was the process to take the old out? How long did it take to put the new one in? How many miles do you have on it now?

It’s a considerably easy job. I had it out in a half days work same with the new one. The time consuming part was cleaning all the parts I wasn’t replacing like the valve cover, engine bay etc. and swapping parts from the old to the new, like studs, dizzy, oil pan, mounts, and brackets. That did take me the longest.

Reactions: The4bangertj

My whole thing replacing the engine was it had a lot of blow by, and I couldn’t go above 60 on the highway, although it’s much better now I get very bad gas mileage compared to my 4.0 and still doesn’t go very fast on the highway. I do have a vibration issue I cannot for the life of me figure out and I think it’s causing a lot of drag causing my issues

We purchased a 2.5L from S&J a year ago and had a friend do the work to certify the warranty. It’s been running fantastically for the past year. As a reference, my 2.5L has 113,500 and is still running very strong. While neither of them will do 0-60 in under 10 seconds going downhill, I can easily tell the difference in power and performance of the new motor in my son's TJ.