Russhibbitts

View the attached file and see if anyone can determine what they think the knock may be. I have not heard it up close, only on the video. We just purchased it and want to get opinions. I think I know what it is but let’s see.

That's not a knock, it's a tick. Usually caused by lifters. Someonea got a coronavirus project.
🍻

View the attached file and see if anyone can determine what they think the knock may be. I have not heard it up close, only on the video. We just purchased it and want to get opinions. I think I know what it is but let’s see.....
Not gonna lie that sounds pretty awful. My Jeep has the lifter noise and I might hear that in the video, but I hear a ton of other stuff that I don't really know. Sounds like a rod bashing around. Unless the video noise quality is bad though. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

Holy cow... you shouldn't be driving that. Sounds like some serious lifter tick, possible rod knock.

A compression test would be a good place to start, as would removing the valve cover and inspecting. That is not a good sound.

Holy cow... you shouldn't be driving that. Sounds like some serious lifter tick, possible rod knock.

A compression test would be a good place to start, as would removing the valve cover and inspecting. That is not a good sound.
Easy big boy. I have not drove it yet. I just bought it while I’m offshore. I will be picking it up on a trailer and pulling the engine lol. I just wanted opinions of what y’all thought. As soon as I get in I will be able to identify it. It’s what we do, buy TJ’s cheap repair and resale.

Reactions: HardSell and Chris
Easy big boy. I have not drove it yet. I just bought it while I’m offshore. I will be picking it up on a trailer and pulling the engine lol. I just wanted opinions of what y’all thought. As soon as I get in I will be able to identify it. It’s what we do, buy TJ’s cheap repair and resale.
You plan on doing a full rebuild on the engine?

Reactions: Russhibbitts
You plan on doing a full rebuild on the engine?

If it’s just rods, lifters, rockers, then yeah. If the crank is part of the problem then I might consider another 4.0l. It depends on what I find when I dissect it. I now have two TJ’s for sale.One is an 03’ Rubi and the other is this one 2004. We are going to be replacing fenders ext...If y’all need any parts are anything, check out our shop.

Www.axleoffroad.com it will take you to our Facebook Page.

Gotcha! Well, I'm glad to know you aren't driving it at least ;)