TJ acts as if it's hitting the rev limiter when cold

thepassivelapse

hello,

My jeep has been having this issue that only occurs when the jeep is cold when driven. the jeep will act as if its hitting a rev limiter when accelerating at rpms that don't justify a limiter. I have recently rebuilt the wiring the runs adjacent to the block on the passenger side and have replaced both the camshaft and the crankshaft position sensors. I have also re4placed the ECU but this issue existed before and after that replacement. there are other symptoms as well, for instance it will often fall out of gear and not return even when put back into drive. the jeep will also die at random times. for reference the jeep is a 2006 wrangler sport 4.0 auto.

Thankyou for any advice you can give.

20211028_165631.jpg

I don't have a full answer but I recall several people having issues with cold temperatures and aftermarket camshaft position sensors. The reported symptoms were the engine cutting out around 2400 rpm when cold. To test it you can pull the sensor out and keep it warm inside. Then when ready for a test drive reinstall it and see if there is any change.
I wish I had more Maybe others will have some additional insight.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
hello,

My jeep has been having this issue that only occurs when the jeep is cold when driven. the jeep will act as if its hitting a rev limiter when accelerating at rpms that don't justify a limiter. I have recently rebuilt the wiring the runs adjacent to the block on the passenger side and have replaced both the camshaft and the crankshaft position sensors. I have also re4placed the ECU but this issue existed before and after that replacement. there are other symptoms as well, for instance it will often fall out of gear and not return even when put back into drive. the jeep will also die at random times. for reference the jeep is a 2006 wrangler sport 4.0 auto.

Thankyou for any advice you can give.
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you still have that stock CPS. The aftermarket ones do not work aside from the two I’ve heard that work properly. That being the Napa Gold Sensor and the AIP electronics sensor. Those should fix your issue assuming the timing on your OPDA is set up correctly.

Are you still running the stock OPDA? If so I think it’d be worth it to throw in a crown unit with the new CPS. Should be worry free after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you still have that stock CPS. The aftermarket ones do not work aside from the two I’ve heard that work properly. That being the Napa Gold Sensor and the AIP electronics sensor. Those should fix your issue assuming the timing on your OPDA is set up correctly.

Are you still running the stock OPDA? If so I think it’d be worth it to throw in a crown unit with the new CPS. Should be worry free after that.

Thatnkyou, I'll give it a shot and let you know. It still gas the stock opda

Reactions: imahnu
Thatnkyou, I'll give it a shot and let you know. It still gas the stock opda

I’ve used the AIP cam position sensor without any issues for years. The Napa Gold seems to be the more popular choice however.

The stock OPDA has a poor design that doesn’t lubricate a bearing and so it’ll dry out and start to bind up, which when that happens can eat up the gears on your camshaft which can obviously become a very expensive repair. The Crown OPDA is designed to allow that bearing to get lubrication so you don’t have that failure.

Looking forward to hear how it goes!