TJ Dana 44 rear axle seal leak driving me crazy

To all of the people in this thread that have purchased multiple seals and bearing kits to replace leaking seals, there is a cheaper way. You can purchase the locking collar separately for about 8-10 bucks, then press off the bearing and replace the seal. Still a pia, but not as expensive especially if you have recently purchased a new bearing. I have had a couple of issues with the rubber coated seal when installing on a Ford high pinion 9 inch rear. If you aren't super careful part of the rubber outer can fold under when inserting it into the house and it will create a leak on the outer part of the seal. Also as mentioned previously if the brakes have been updated to aftermarket discs the retaining plate is important because the disc brake mounting bracket is much thicker than the stamped steel drum brake backing plate. It is always a good idea to check the axle shaft for end play, because there shouldn't be any.
I have been struggling with some of these same issues on my high pinion 9 inch Currie rear axle and I have determined that the axles and bearings were improperly installed when I bought the Jeep. I had close to .125 end play on both rear axles, so I replaced bearings and seals and I still had end play. With a tapered bearing, end play is no good. I did some research and found that with the disc brake conversion I have I should have had a spacer installed between the bearing retainer and the seal to maintain proper bearing preload and the proper crush on the seal. I did research the lock ring and found out that I could purchase the lock ring seperate from the bearing set so I don't have to destroy a new axle bearing. I use a bearing spreader on the bearing and press the bearing off in a press. I just got done making some spacers in the lathe to preload the bearings and seals. I cut a notch out of the spacer so it could slide over the axle shaft and then when the bearing retainer is snugged down it preloads the bearings and expands the seal. So far no leak on bearings that had 2500 miles on them before I made this mod. I have been buying timken Set 20 for my 9 inch rear and the quality seems very good, and I have been buying them off of amazon for about 33.00 each. I am still thinking about building a new set of bearing retainers that has a lip full circle, or purchasing a new design that Currie has for around 45.00 each.

Thank you so much for the info. I will do the shaft bend test but since it is brand new, I doubt it is bended (I've put in a Crown shaft assembly with new seal and bearing). Then since it was still leaking, I had the Timken seal (coming with the assembly I believe) changed for an International seal. This change of seal seemed to have solved the problem for other guys; but not me. Next, the MOPAR RTV, and a surgical, patient approach. I'll let you know.
What does your axle retainer bracket look like, which one of the below do you have? Assuming you have rear disk brakes, do you have the bottom style bracket? If you do, is its lip facing inward toward the seal like in the bottom photo?
Axle retainer bracket.jpg

Axle retainer Disk Brake.jpg

IMAG2340.jpg

So I am dealing with this on my LJ now. Lost my Diff back in NOV and decided to rebuild the whole axle while I was in there. Put on a new set of bearings, races, seals, retainers etc. My rear left began leaking immediately. I was unaware this was such a common issue at that time so I chalked it up to install error on my end, took the axle out, made sure the seal wasnt pinched, reinstalled, and it was fine until last week. Started smelling gear oil, noticed a bit of splatter on the wheel, then came out to a literal puddle one morning. Took everything apart, everything is good and installed in the correct orientation. Found this thread, decided to try the right stuff rtv fix posted in here a few times. Put 15 miles on it, took the wheel and rotor off, (no puddles yet but...) still leaking. Now that it is not a faucet I can see it is leaking from the part of the seal that meets the axle shaft not the axle tube.

The kit I bought is off extreem terrain, Not 100% on the manufacturer, may be a piece by kit from XT, bearing was timkin but the seal is a double ridge seal, not the timken press style.

Obviously my next step is to buy another set, maybe try another brand or style of seal, but I hate throwing good money at a bad problem (seeing many people have gone through 3+ iterations of seal sets).

What I am wondering is if anyone has tried, or, if anyone has a reason why I shouldn't try, adding a baffle between the seal and the bearing. The concern of course is preventing any thing from impacting bearing performance.

So I am dealing with this on my LJ now. Lost my Diff back in NOV and decided to rebuild the whole axle while I was in there. Put on a new set of bearings, races, seals, retainers etc. My rear left began leaking immediately. I was unaware this was such a common issue at that time so I chalked it up to install error on my end, took the axle out, made sure the seal wasnt pinched, reinstalled, and it was fine until last week. Started smelling gear oil, noticed a bit of splatter on the wheel, then came out to a literal puddle one morning. Took everything apart, everything is good and installed in the correct orientation. Found this thread, decided to try the right stuff rtv fix posted in here a few times. Put 15 miles on it, took the wheel and rotor off, (no puddles yet but...) still leaking. Now that it is not a faucet I can see it is leaking from the part of the seal that meets the axle shaft not the axle tube.

The kit I bought is off extreem terrain, Not 100% on the manufacturer, may be a piece by kit from XT, bearing was timkin but the seal is a double ridge seal, not the timken press style.

Obviously my next step is to buy another set, maybe try another brand or style of seal, but I hate throwing good money at a bad problem (seeing many people have gone through 3+ iterations of seal sets).

What I am wondering is if anyone has tried, or, if anyone has a reason why I shouldn't try, adding a baffle between the seal and the bearing. The concern of course is preventing any thing from impacting bearing performance.

Do we know we have the correct retainers in use?

Did we check the seal surface for wear, grooves, cuts, etc. that will take out the seal in a hurry?

Yupp. Cleaned the seal checked it over, no marring. same for the interior bore of the axle tube. But again, it appears the leaking is coming from the axle shaft not the axle tube. almost as if the seal is not the correct bore for the axle shaft (I mean its like 0.02mm off but enough that as it spins it can draw fluid out). I also checked and cleared the breather tube to ensure the housing was not pressurizing. Checked axles to the best of my ability to ensure they werent warped. replaced the nuts on the retainer plate with fresh nylock, torqued to 45 ft-lbs. No lateral movement in the axles. ensured the axles were installed on the appropriate sides (longer on right).

Did this job 3 times in two years, all with the correct 9912S Timken seal and bearing. Leak never puddled, but drove me absolutely crazy. Seal continued to leak around the shaft, not the axle tube housing. Every time I slid the seal onto the axle shaft before pressing bearing on I thought to myself “how in the hell is this gonna seal?”, the timkin seal always felt loose, like it wasn’t the right bore.

Finally threw my hands in the air and took it to the local Jeep dealership. I figured let the “pros” 😂 figure it out and at least I’ll have a two year warranty if it leaks again. They blew air into the diff to confirm it was leaking from seal around shaft and not axle housing. Just like I thought, leak was coming from seal around shaft.

Service manager told me they thought the timkin that was in there was manufactured poorly and not a good fit. They put a Mopar seal and bearing set (I didn’t even know mopar made a seal) in the Jeep. I’ve been at 3,000 miles now, leak free.

Did this job 3 times in two years, all with the correct 9912S Timken seal and bearing. Leak never puddled, but drove me absolutely crazy. Seal continued to leak around the shaft, not the axle tube housing. Every time I slid the seal onto the axle shaft before pressing bearing on I thought to myself “how in the hell is this gonna seal?”, the timkin seal always felt loose, like it wasn’t the right bore.

Finally threw my hands in the air and took it to the local Jeep dealership. I figured let the “pros” 😂 figure it out and at least I’ll have a two year warranty if it leaks again. They blew air into the diff to confirm it was leaking from seal around shaft and not axle housing. Just like I thought, leak was coming from seal around shaft.

Service manager told me they thought the timkin that was in there was manufactured poorly and not a good fit. They put a Mopar seal and bearing set (I didn’t even know mopar made a seal) in the Jeep. I’ve been at 3,000 miles now, leak free.

Where did you get your 9912s from?

Mopar part number is the same as the crown part number. I cant say empirically they are the same but they look similar in pictures. (PN 83503063) If they are the same, crown charges $9 +/- where the mopar one is $28...

Mopar part number is the same as the crown part number. I cant say empirically they are the same but they look similar in pictures. (PN 83503063) If they are the same, crown charges $9 +/- where the mopar one is $28...

Crown copies Mopar’s part numbers. They are usually not the same part.

A good seal for the Dana 44 axle shaft is the Timken 9912S.

Sorry to quasi-necro this thread, but is it the same seal for disc brakes as well as drums? Seems like all 6 pages of this was disc brakes-related. Doing my shopping today, no sense in getting the wrong seal.

Sorry to quasi-necro this thread, but is it the same seal for disc brakes as well as drums? Seems like all 6 pages of this was disc brakes-related. Doing my shopping today, no sense in getting the wrong seal.
The same seal is used for drum/disk brakes.

Before I head down this rabbit hole of changing the seal, I was going to give the gear oil RTV around the seal a try.

I’m assuming the seal has gear oil on it since it’s been leaking a bit. Do I need to clean the seal off before putting the RTV on? If so, anyone know what is a safe cleaner to use on the seal material?

The Dana 44 shafts for both disc and drum brake options use the same seal, shaft collar, inner race, and bearing. The only parts that are different between them are the 4 bolt retainer which has a lip on it instead of being flat like the drum brake version to compensate for the thicker cast disc backing plate and then the other part is the wheel studs are not the same.

Reactions: PurpleTJAZ and hear
Due to the design of the Dana 44, do you guys normally R&R the parking brakes with the axle in place? Seems like pulling the axle is asking for a leak. And after reading this thread....it's not always easy to fix. New bearings to change a seal...who designed the Dana 44 anyway? Timken? lol

Due to the design of the Dana 44, do you guys normally R&R the parking brakes with the axle in place? Seems like pulling the axle is asking for a leak. And after reading this thread....it's not always easy to fix. New bearings to change a seal...who designed the Dana 44 anyway? Timken? lol

You don't need new bearings to change a seal if you have the tools and know-how to get the existing bearings off without damaging them. Most don't so it is easier to just break them off and install new ones. I can get them off without hurting them. Takes 3 times as long so I don't. The only caveat to that is I would if I just installed them and found a reason they had to come back off.