Asking how to “decomputerize” your jeep from a computer…..

The juice is not worth the squeeze. This would take lots of money for zero benefits. Like 100% zero!

Would be less costly to get yourself into therapy to get over your fear of a computer.

I come from the CJ carburetor days, I don’t miss them one bit. I’d say the biggest improvement the TJ has over the CJ is fuel injection, I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

You do you, but this would be throwing money away and having a worse jeep at the end of the day.

its not for everyone, personal preference

its not that I dont like computers, I love computers and have built a few myself.
but they dont belong in cars and the tradeoff isnt worth the convenience.
makes the car too soulless and automated.
but thats just my opinion and no one has to agree with it, just explaining what I think

thats what I figured is the best option,

honestly ever since ive gotten this TJ ive wanted to keep the original engine because I love the 4.0 I just dont like how many electronics and sensors and computers n shit they put in it. (which is why this thread started with me talking about decomputerizing a TJ stock drivetrain) An engine swap has always been on the horizon w this TJ and you have to take out the entire drivetrain anyways for an engine swap so I think I might go a more standard route with something like as was mentioned earlier; a 350.

If the 4.0 is important to you, you could always buy a junkyard 4.0 and get it running on a stand before swapping it in. Less downtime that way.

its not for everyone, personal preference

its not that I dont like computers, I love computers and have built a few myself.
but they dont belong in cars and the tradeoff isnt worth the convenience.
makes the car too soulless and automated.
but thats just my opinion and no one has to agree with it, just explaining what I think

You are a weird person with weird rules. Just explaining what I think.

Making a TJ run without a computer might be "easy" but making it a road worthy vehicle will not be.

fair enough, like i said in to another guy in this thread im probably gonna go a more standard route with something like a 350 and just do a complete engine swap the more i think about it. it would save the 4.0 and all the other drivetrain stuff and if I could sell it id have some extra money, also have got a family member with a TJ so he might want some replacement parts.

What you need to consider is that the computer controls EVERYTHING, except maybe the lights, wipers, and radio. Everything the engine does, fuel, air, timing, heat, air conditioning, gauges.

The computer doesn't control the heat, the coolant flows to the heater core at all times (so long as the thermostat is open, I guess?), but the fan & vents don't route through the computer.

OP, I support you in your efforts to de-computerize. The long-term availability of the computer is something that worries me, but I'm probably old enough that I'm not going to have to really worry about it. Anything is possible, so I'm sure converting your 4.0L to carb fed can be done. But to make it something you can do on your own you're going to need to understand everything that the computer controls. First and foremost in my mind is ignition. Your timing is set by the computer, so you'll need to find a distributor that will fit a 4.0 but has a mechanical or vacuum advance and allows for the initial timing to be adjusted by hand. Next is fuel delivery, because honestly I don't really know how the fuel delivery works in our TJs, but all I can think about is how every carb'd car I've had also had a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the block, which you won't have.

The gauges won't be that hard, you can run aftermarket oil pressure, water temp, and voltmeter for sure. Fuel level might be a trick, I'm not sure what magic the computer performs on it before it gets to the gauge, but maybe nothing? Or maybe there is a known ohm range for our fuel sender and a specific fuel gauge might work, idk. Speedo can be run directly off the existing sender & the tach can be fed from the #1 spark plug wire. The A/C could be tricky, since the high & low pressure sensors tell the compressor when to kick on/off. You're going to be doing a bunch of custom wiring no matter what.

Your 42RLE transmission probably has to go, it's computer controlled. But you said you wanted a stick anyway so problem solved.

Dropping in a 350 & matching trans is easier insofar as it's already prep'd for being carb fed & lo-fi ignition/timing, but you introduce new problems like motor mount locations, transmission mounts, rear driveshaft length & pinion angles and probably a mess of other things. Oh, and the 350 typically requires a different radiator because of how the hoses lay out. You need one with the inlet/outlet on opposite sides from where they are on the TJ. But that road is well-traveled so you will be able to find a bunch of resources to help you there. And probably a thousand other things.

Reactions: Peppergat
What are your thoughts on electric ignition? Or is that no go too?

it aint computerized its just an electrical circuit that is engaged when you turn the key, similar to how a light switch works just spring loaded.
when the circuit is complete it sends the power through the circuit to the starter which is a small electric motor that turns the engine.
we've had electric motors way longer than we've had computers and we've had electricity and circuits way longer than we've had computers

it aint computerized its just an electrical circuit that is engaged when you turn the key, similar to how a light switch works just spring loaded.
when the circuit is complete it sends the power through the circuit to the starter which is a small electric motor that turns the engine.
we've had electric motors way longer than we've had computers and we've had electricity and circuits way longer than we've had computers

Not in the way it's currently wired. The computer controls it.

if we're gonna be like that, computers are actually logic gates which are a little more complex than normal switches, and have different types and functions.

I'm gleefully pointing out the arbitrary rules and gatekeeping you are using to keep yourself off the slippery slope of technology getting into places it somehow doesn't belong.

Your 42RLE transmission probably has to go, it's computer controlled. But you said you wanted a stick anyway so problem solved.

Dropping in a 350 & matching trans is easier insofar as it's already prep'd for being carb fed & lo-fi ignition/timing, but you introduce new problems like motor mount locations, transmission mounts, rear driveshaft length & pinion angles and probably a mess of other things. Oh, and the 350 typically requires a different radiator because of how the hoses lay out. You need one with the inlet/outlet on opposite sides from where they are on the TJ. But that road is well-traveled so you will be able to find a bunch of resources to help you there. And probably a thousand other things.

yeah i think thats the way i wanna go, unless theres another pretty common carbed swap with the kind of documentation that something like a 5.3 vortec swap has.

I'm gleefully pointing out the arbitrary rules and gatekeeping you are using to keep yourself off the slippery slope of technology getting into places it doesn't belong.

cool, im glad that you enjoy having the conveniences of modern technology in your cars. I personally dont enjoy it, so im going to make arbitrary rules and gatekeeping for my own opinions that no one else has to give a damn about.

I'm gleefully pointing out the arbitrary rules and gatekeeping you are using to keep yourself off the slippery slope of technology getting into places it somehow doesn't belong.

Real men scoop coal and melt their faces off with boilers. If your car doesn't need a few hours to heat up in the morning you're a little boy. Cars aren't meant to be easy.

I know you’re stuck in this, but Just get a CJ. That’s all you need to do. Sell the TJ. Come out money ahead and be driving years before you’ll ever drive the decimputerized TJ. There’s nothing radically different about the body styles. It sounds like an absolute crazy waste of time, energy, resources, and brain cells to decomputerize a TJ. Virtually everything would need to be changed. It’s like you’re trying to make a 1997-2006 CJ. I’d tear everything out including the dash (which would need to entirely fabricated with new gauges) down to the frame and tub. Then put it all together.

Reactions: jjvw
Real men scoop coal and melt their faces off with boilers. If your car doesn't need a few hours to heat up in the morning you're a little boy. Cars aren't meant to be easy.

We can't all be Jay Leno.
4eeb865d69bedd144d000069.jpeg

Not in the way it's currently wired. The computer controls it.

there is a SKIM module which can be removed with a bit of help from the guys who do PCM tuning, but apart from that yes, the PCM does do sensor checks and other stuff when you crank the jeep, but electric ignition can just as easily not go through a computer. its a trap there because if i answered him with yes because of the PCM thing it wouldve been taken out of context as "this guy thinks you should hop infront of your TJ like its a model T and hand crank it" but if i say no then where i draw the line of the PCM being involved in the car would contradict my whole goal of decomputerizing my jeep and first and foremost removing any kind of management system like a PCM.