Do that. I've seen plenty of 350/350 Chevy swaps in CJ7s. Then you will have the non-computer controlled vehicle that you want without any kind of major project.

im actually lookin at one right now for $15k with a 350 and 4 speed muncie m20 transmission
its a '72 CJ-5 and the best part is that its orange lol

I think I could get around $22k give or take for my TJ
it has like 50k miles on it and brand new tires and Im doing some work to the brakes because they're kinda shit right now

I've seen that, but can they prove it works. ;) I saw a video with one of the employees being asked that, and he responded with something like "hopefully".

Doesn't matter. All they need to do is cater to the prepper fantasy cosplay crowd and a lot of useless junk will sell for a bunch of money.

Computer controlled engine, just like the stock 4.0, too new for your stated goal. You will have to go back into the world of traditional small blocks, or other engines, with a mechanical distributor. Electronic ignitions are a type of computer, so you'll need points or magneto if you get that crazy.

yeah I was using it as a comparison because its the TJ swap with the most documentation to my knowledge
was saying I wish for my purposes that there were older swaps with the same amount of documentation

the main goal is to get rid of the computers, i dislike the idea that my car needs computers. its a personal preference that barely anyone understands, I cant logic my way out of it.
Not to put too fine a point on it and I am very aware that I'm not going change your mind and I'm not trying to, but, the computer(s) you are expressing so much disdain for are the exact reason you are able to use this form of communication. I'd be a whole lot less likely to point out that glaring bit of hyprocrisy if you were two finger punching an old manual typewriter and we were reading scanned copies someone was nice enough to post up for you. Then we'd reply, they'd print them out, and wait for the stagecoach to send and retrieve the next written missive. And yet, here we are.
cars are delicate machines that run on just the right amount of air and fuel to create and explosion. if you cant operate the machine you dont deserve to operate the machine.
cars arent supposed to be easy to operate.
They are not as delicate as that, the explosion part shows you why. Are you any good at repairing phones and laptops?
where else am i gonna learn carb tuning if not from having to tune one?
people lived with carbs for years without issue.
The number one reason for all the battery powered lawn equipment and stuff we have nowadays is purely due to folks not wanting to deal with carburetors. I have had a wide range of crap ranging from concrete mixers to weed eaters to chainsaws to wood chippers with carbureted engines on them and I despise every single one with a passion.
again this thread isnt about whether i should decomputerize my jeep or not, its about the best way to go about doing it
these threads always spiral into an argument about whether or not the whole premise is a good idea or not which isnt the question im asking because im already decided on doing it, i just want to know from people who are more experienced i am the best way to do it
i already know the trouble involved and im okay with it, i think its better than having a computer run magic rumbling box that turns your wheels with no thought, care, or effort needed.
Can I perhaps interest you in a nice lightly used manual typewriter? I'll even throw in a spare ribbon.

Last edited:
im actually lookin at one right now for $15k with a 350 and 4 speed muncie m20 transmission
its a '72 CJ-5 and the best part is that its orange lol

Better choice. And $15K is probably what you would have wasted on doing this to a TJ.

I think I could get around $22k give or take for my TJ

You better look around at actual sales. I think you're going to be alot closer to that $15,000 than you hope.

These sales from within the previous 60 days say around $14,000 for simple average, and that is with the site premium.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-jeep-wrangler-66/ 36K miles - $17,250
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-jeep-wrangler-52/ 39K miles - $20,750
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-jeep-wrangler-65/ 83K miles - $8,600
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-jeep-wrangler-149/ 81K miles - $8,800

Not to put too fine a point on it and I am very aware that I'm not going change your mind and I'm not trying to, but, the computer(s) you are expressing so much disdain for are the exact reason you are able to use them form of communication. I'd be a whole lot less likely to point out that glaring bit of hyprocrisy if you were two finger punching an old manual typewriter and we were reading scanned copies someone was nice enough to post up for you. Then we'd reply, they'd print them out, and wait for the stagecoach to send and retrieve the next written missive. And yet, here we are.

That's a bit of a reach, I think. He's not complaining that he needs a computer to use an internet forum. He just doesn't want to rely on a computer to make his car run, which isn't completely insane given that for like 70 years cars ran without computers.

thats what I figured is the best option,

honestly ever since ive gotten this TJ ive wanted to keep the original engine because I love the 4.0 I just dont like how many electronics and sensors and computers n shit they put in it. (which is why this thread started with me talking about decomputerizing a TJ stock drivetrain) An engine swap has always been on the horizon w this TJ and you have to take out the entire drivetrain anyways for an engine swap so I think I might go a more standard route with something like as was mentioned earlier; a 350.

The only thing that makes the piece of shit that is the 4.0 even remotely tolerable is the engine management system they managed to create to keep the dinosaur somewhat relevant when it was new. Getting rid of those also kills whatever value, low as it is, it has since it will no longer be the reasonably reliable easy start low horsepower monster you like so much.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
so after some careful consideration and discussion of what this kind of swap would be like (which was grossly understated in the original thread i was referencing, which had a similar premise to this one)

Im gonna start thinking about a CJ, and if I dont pull the trigger on one, I wont molest the TJ I have now beyond a transmission swap possibly.

thanks to everyone whos contributing to this thread, I know my 'ideology' is strange, and that yall had to do a considerable amount of convincing me that maybe molesting a TJ wasnt the greatest route.
Don't be a quitter, the only thing worse than being quitter is deriving all of us from being able to say I told you so.

• Haha
Reactions: inkedrose and BlueC
Not to put too fine a point on it and I am very aware that I'm not going change your mind and I'm not trying to, but, the computer(s) you are expressing so much disdain for are the exact reason you are able to use this form of communication. I'd be a whole lot less likely to point out that glaring bit of hyprocrisy if you were two finger punching an old manual typewriter and we were reading scanned copies someone was nice enough to post up for you. Then we'd reply, they'd print them out, and wait for the stagecoach to send and retrieve the next written missive. And yet, here we are.

Again, I love computers, I just dont think they belong in cars .

Don't be a quitter, the only thing worse than being quitter is deriving all of us from being able to say I told you so.

thats not a bad thing. its actually good because im learning something.
the whole reason I came to this forum is because I know y'all know a lot more than me about this stuff in particular
the entire discussion was me trying to understand what it would take to do a TJ decomputerization and why so many people advise against it
I understand now and its completely valid, which is why im looking at CJs now as an alternative
"I told you so" isn't a bad thing if they genuinely did tell me so lol

not cars but a lot of the farm equipment and ATVs and stuff we have is carbed and pretty old

Does not count. While they operate similar, they are very different in use. Go get a mechanical CJ7 as a toy and drive it, have fun with it for a few years, and you'll start to understand just what computers are doing.

There's a reason guys will spend $20K swapping in a more modern computer controlled engine and trans into an old ride. I'm in the world of old cars, and I barely know anyone running points, and I'd guess about 1/2 of everybody now has also swapped from carb to some type of electronic (computer) fuel injection too.

Reactions: JMT
That hypothetical EMP will wipe out a points setup too. Only the magneto guys will be running, so the day of the Ford T might not be over yet. ;)

The last book I read they bragged about the old ww2 jeeps would keep on running. Guess they were magneto fired?