I drove mine from Alaska to Wisconsin to all over the west and back to Alaska and to Utah and with a kit it worked fine for me but I knew what it took.

You used a chinese bbd from summit? Otherwise we are talking about different things

Zorba's newsletter wouldn't do him much good in converting his Jeep - but he might learn a thing or two about Belly Dancing!

Unfortunately, many do not - esp. many newer ones. My old MBZ has a 4 speed auto, but only has PRND3L - The lack of control of 1-2 is a sometime pain.

MBZ - to get first, you shift to L, back to 3, then back to L.... otherwise it defaults to 2nd as the low gear.

Carter model bbd used on dodge 318 and 225, better that a thermoquad to work on but way less air flow

I completely forgot we had talked about carbs on this thread. :LOL: This one has really darted in different directions.

• Haha
Reactions: Rickyd
MBZ - to get first, you shift to L, back to 3, then back to L.... otherwise it defaults to 2nd as the low gear.

Actually, it doesn't - its an oddball in that regard. If its in L (or not!), it will downshift to 1st when it feels like it - but it will NOT upshift to 2nd until its taken out of L. Then it will shift (when ready) to 2, and I try to get it back into L to hold it there before it shifts into 3. Depending on the situation, that may be quite easy, or damn near impossible. Its a nuisance. A minor nuisance, but a nuisance all the same. It really only becomes an issue when in "creep and beep" traffic, esp. on a downslope.

Carter model bbd used on dodge 318 and 225, better that a thermoquad to work on but way less air flow

The 258 also got one without a solenoid for a few years. I'm ready to just use a mr gasket 1937 adapter and a manual chocke 2100 though. Its a ranch rig. Hasn't been on a highway since the early 90's

Actually, it doesn't - its an oddball in that regard. If its in L (or not!), it will downshift to 1st when it feels like it - but it will NOT upshift to 2nd until its taken out of L. Then it will shift (when ready) to 2, and I try to get it back into L to hold it there before it shifts into 3. Depending on the situation, that may be quite easy, or damn near impossible. Its a nuisance. A minor nuisance, but a nuisance all the same. It really only becomes an issue when in "creep and beep" traffic, esp. on a downslope.

Weird... both the '86 300e and the '79 280s I had would do it that way

Weird... both the '86 300e and the '79 280s I had would do it that way

My '74 240D would start in 2nd - you had to REALLY work at it to get it into 1st - I called it "Gear 0". Put in L, then push the accelerator all the way to the floor momentarily and it would shift into a gear that felt at least twice as low as 2nd!

LOOK MOM! NO COMPUTERS!

PXL_20240508_013753561.jpg

Just need to cut some holes for my legs! The way cars were meant to be driven!

IMG_20201116_224619.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and FarFire70