Engine and Transmission Swap (97 to 06)

Duner

Doonigan
Supporting Member
Hey y’all,

So I recently purchased an 06 that has a blown engine, it was being towed behind an RV and popped into gear.

My first question is, what is the extent of the damage done to both the engine and transmission?

My second question is a little more technical. I have a 97 with a 6 cylinder and automatic transmission, and the 06 has a 4 cylinder with a manual transmission.

Is the manual transmission fubar from popping into gear? Or just the engine?

If the manual isn’t fubar, is it compatible with the 97 6 cylinder?

If the manual is fubar and I do an entire swap from the 97 into the 06, will the mounts line up?

Also, will 97 full doors and a hard top fit an 06?

Any additional info for swapping engines would be greatly appreciated too. I’m new at navigating these forums so I’m sure there’s info somewhere, I’m just not great at sifting through it all yet.

Since others haven’t spoken up yet, I’ll chime in.
1. Have you tried driving it? That would tell you a lot about function/damage.
2. Not sure which manual an 06 4cyl had but it may not work with a 6.
3. 4cyl and 6 cyl motor mounts are NOT the same and would need changing (cutting/welding). Another incompatibility is the PCM and wiring harness. You’d likely be doing a more complex swap than you might think.
4. Not positive on doors and top but from what some others have said, that may be fine.
Good luck!

The doors and top will fit. The only big difference is the 97-02 hardtops had the cabin vents molded in to the top. 03-06 moved the vent to the tailgate.

The 06 should have the NSG370 six speed that was used behind the 4 and 6 cyls.

Motor mounts are different.

PCMs are different.

Wiring harness are different.

Hey y’all,

My first question is, what is the extent of the damage done to both the engine and transmission?

You'll need to investigate further. Whatever was spinning when the motor locked could be damaged, too. T-case, driveshafts, axles. . .

Is the manual transmission fubar from popping into gear? Or just the engine?

Yes. No. Maybe. You'll need to investigate further. Can you turn-over the engine? shift the trans? shift the t-case? roll the wheels/Jeep?

If the manual isn’t fubar, is it compatible with the 97 6 cylinder?
No. The NSG370 has an integrated bellhousing. the 4cyl and 6cyl engines have different bellhousing patterns. Not sure if an adapter plate exists, also I'm not too motivated to look.

If the manual is fubar and I do an entire swap from the 97 into the 06, will the mounts line up?
No. Cutting & welding motor mounts is required. I recall the Mopar 6cyl motor mounts being obsolete, so you'll need a set someone torched off for (presumably) a LS swap. And then there is the driveshaft of things. . .
Also, will 97 full doors and a hard top fit an 06?
Yes, but the hard top wiring harness is different. Information is available to make a hybrid harness, or folks sell 'em on eBay too.

Any additional info for swapping engines would be greatly appreciated too. I’m new at navigating these forums so I’m sure there’s info somewhere, I’m just not great at sifting through it all yet.

The easiest path is to sell off the '97 driveline (assuming you don't need it) and purchase someone's take-out 4cyl manual gitty-up. The '97 engine is used in 97-99 TJ and whatever XJ years- front accessory bosses and brackets are different, 97 has a distributor, and a bunch of other 'gotcha' details that will drive you batty.

The "keep it Jeep" will lead you on a path of insanity in which you'll likely need most of a donor vehicle to make everything work.

Most builders in your situation would be leaning toward the LS swap route.

Reactions: Woodrow
So I do have everything included with the 97, it’s a complete car.

Would there be compatibility issues with items such as the dash? I have the entire wiring harness and pcm so if I’m able to finesse it with what is in the 06 I might have to for now.

Are the driveshafts different for the 97 vs 06? And if so, are there adapters?