TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think a different thread with a google sheets link would work best. But, this will at least give people an idea of what people are thinking.

Here's the link to the sheet I made a while back Moab Trail Schedule - feel free to edit or change.
I think we need to get a list of the trails and just a general idea of how many want to run each of them. Yours would be the next logical step in my mind. Some don’t know what they don’t know.

I think you’re right though, a new thread with link to a spreadsheet would be easier.

This is helpful. I can gauge their ratings from the trails I've already done to get a feel. I'm pretty comfortable with 6's, and may consider hitting a #7 trail, but no higher than that for my abilities.
Which 6’s have you done and what 7 are you considering?

This is helpful. I can gauge their ratings from the trails I've already done to get a feel. I'm pretty comfortable with 6's, and may consider hitting a #7 trail, but no higher than that for my abilities.
We stuck to 6 ratings last time @JMT was on 33's and never got stuck or had any issues.

Reactions: JMT and Tob
I did TOTW, which they categorize as a 6. Also did Hells Revenge, but I skipped the escalator and hot tub, so I'd dumb that experience down to a 5.
Poison spider is a 6 and I don’t remember it being significantly more difficult than TOTW.

I don't know how many others feel this way, but as someone who has never been to Moab and is not familiar with all the trails, the only trails on my list are the iconic must-do ones: Top of the World, Fins and Things, and Hell's Revenge. Other than that, I just want to do as many trails as I can within the capabilities of my TJ and the time I have there. So, in other words, I'm not going to be picky when it comes to trail selection.

I don't know how many others feel this way, but as someone who has never been to Moab and is not familiar with all the trails, the only trails on my list are the iconic must-do ones: Top of the World, Fins and Things, and Hell's Revenge. Other than that, I just want to do as many trails as I can within the capabilities of my TJ and the time I have there. So, in other words, I'm not going to be picky when it comes to trail selection.
That’s what I did my first trip there.

Fins would be a Colorado 3 and Hells a 4. Both can look scary, but the traction makes everything easy.

Reactions: rasband
Fins isn't a hard trail. I would be lying though if I said I wasn't nervous at how steep some of the ups and downs were. It also didn't help that it started to sprinkle about halfway through the second section of the trail.

Reactions: Apparition
Fins isn't a hard trail. I would be lying though if I said I wasn't nervous at how steep some of the ups and downs were. It also didn't help that it started to sprinkle about halfway through the second section of the trail.

That's how I felt when we were going up the bowl on the Con and it started dumping on us, then snow! Other than the steep roller coaster sections, Hells wasn't bad. Grip for days.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
So how many TJ's are going?
My job won't let me plan that far ahead but if it's gunna be 10-15 ppl .... I could test the waters....

Reactions: Alex01
Fins is a stock rubicon trail

Edit: still fun, scenic and a great stepping stone to Moab.

Fins is a stock rubicon trail
Easily a stock base model trail. I like it though because it really shows you how much traction Moab has to offer. It was the first trail we ran once arriving.

Images give it no justice but it was some of the steepest stuff I'd seen up to that point.
20190428_171817.jpg
20190428_172630.jpg

Easily a stock base model trail. I like it though because it really shows you how much traction Moab has to offer. It was the first trail we ran once arriving.

Images give it no justice but it was some of the steepest stuff I'd seen up to that point. View attachment 223626View attachment 223628
There’s one bypassable climb that is difficult without lockers

Status
Not open for further replies.