TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on the first page. Most are running with the GMRS radio. If we end up wheeling Elephant Hill together I have a spare GMRS radio you can use and if you roll with a HAM I have a hand held HAM radio (KJ6OWN).

GMRS & CB Channels
These are the official channels we will be using for our time at TJ Fest. You'll need a either a GMRS or CB ratio (preferably the former).

GroupGMRS Channel (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJ Fest16 (462.575)D223N20
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs (don't ask me, this is stupid)18 (462.625)D223N
N/A19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N
Added one

roupGMRS Channel (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJ Fest16 (462.575)D223N20
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs (don't ask me, this is stupid)18 (462.625)D223N
Team America19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N

This is on the first page. Most are running with the GMRS radio. If we end up wheeling Elephant Hill together I have a spare GMRS radio you can use and if you roll with a HAM I have a hand held HAM radio (KJ6OWN).

Elephant hill is Thursday right?

These are my copied settings from @Dino - KX6D for CHIRP. Here's how I would suggest anyone use them, which should be radio independent (e.g. you should be good to follow this with any radio Chirp supports, but of course use at your own risk).

First, be sure to have some type of programming cable (I went cheap and have done my radios a few dozen times now, but Dino recommends another that I am not seeing right now).

1. Download/Install Chirp
2. Open Chirp
3. Connect your radio
4. In the top menu, select "Radio" and then "Download From Radio" - this is your old config but also tells CHIRP the protocol. Go ahead and save this export (file > save), it’s your radio’s stock programming.
5. In Chirp, select "File" then "Open", select the image that you downloaded from here. Note that I have a few different ones there (one is Dino's, one is the one I will be running more targeted to what I do, and the last is the UV-5R stock configuration), select whichever you want.
6. Click the new tab that opened (it will be named similarly to the file you used). Click the first row, scroll to the bottom and hold shift while you click the last row. Copy the rows (Control+C on windows/linux, Command+C on mac), or right click and select "copy"
7. Go back to your radio import from step 4, click the top row and paste (Control/Command+V, or right click and select "paste").
8. In the top menu select "File" then "Save As" and name it something else to keep your original download safe.
9. Now upload the programming to your radio! In the top menu select "Radio" and then "Upload To Radio", follow the prompts, and once you see the radio reboot - you should be good to go.

You may want to fiddle with the settings if you don't like things like auto-locking the keys and seeing the channel names in the channel mode. Those options are the second item down on the left side next to the spreadsheet.

In the case you have your HAM license, you can enable the few channels that have the "Duplex" column set to "off" and move it to "none".

Last edited:
Reactions: Peakbagger and jjvw
Is anyone doing elephant hill before thursday or even interested?
I’m going to try for Monday I think. I’m optimistic on getting a permit but I’m going to give it a try. Get the Recreation.gov app to access permits 24 hours in advance.

I think Larry97tj is thinking of trying Monday also.if that happens maybe all three can try for permits. Not sure if one of us can get three or if we each need to get one. And if more join in we’ll try to coordinate a schedule.

I think Larry97tj is thinking of trying Monday also.if that happens maybe all three can try for permits. Not sure if one of us can get three or if we each need to get one. And if more join in we’ll try to coordinate a schedule.
Sounds like a plan. Not sure about multiple vehicles on one permit but may be able to apply several times in a row.

Anyone out there know how it works? Should we get online at 12:01 am or is that not how it works?

Sounds like a plan. Not sure about multiple vehicles on one permit but may be able to apply several times in a row.

Anyone out there know how it works? Should we get online at 12:01 am or is that not how it works?
You probably won’t have to stay up until midnight. I was able to get a White Rim permit this morning for the same day (today).

Elephant Hill is currently closed for road construction but should be open before TJ Fest.

You probably won’t have to stay up until midnight. I was able to get a White Rim permit this morning for the same day (today).
Hope you enjoyed it! Not a tough trail, but it’s beautiful and the start (if going counter clockwise) is so dynamic.

On my trip we saw a guy in a rental Ford Escape sending it... then the next morning we found an oil trail and eventually him.

Hope you enjoyed it! Not a tough trail, but it’s beautiful and the start (if going counter clockwise) is so dynamic.

On my trip we saw a guy in a rental Ford Escape sending it... then the next morning we found an oil trail and eventually him.
We started at Shafer and went to the bottom of Lathrop Canyon.

Reactions: rasband
The closer we get to TJ Fest the more I wish I was able to make it work. I've been dreaming of it since it was announced a year ago, but I just don't see how I can make it happen.

Is there any estimate of expected attendance anywhere. I'm curious as to how big the turn out might be. On a related note, how many people typically attend Easter Jeep Safari?

The closer we get to TJ Fest the more I wish I was able to make it work. I've been dreaming of it since it was announced a year ago, but I just don't see how I can make it happen.

Is there any estimate of expected attendance anywhere. I'm curious as to how big the turn out might be. On a related note, how many people typically attend Easter Jeep Safari?
I was down there a few years ago before I had my TJ, didn't know anything about EJS. We were just in the area during that week & decided to check it out for a couple of days, and it was a fucking madhouse.

TJ Fest isn't an "official event" however, just a few guys that decided to get together in Moab & ride around.

Reactions: Apparition
Status
Not open for further replies.