TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys, it is with a heavy heart that the wife and I won’t be making it. I take my Engineering license exam a day before we would have to leave. Been racking my brain trying to figure out feasability, just doesn’t seem like it’ll work. Hopefully this test is one and done for me, so April ‘22 will be wide open!

Last edited:
Well guys, it is with a heavy heart that the wife and I won’t be making it. I take my Engineering license exam a day before we would have to leave. Been racking my brain trying to figure out readability, just doesn’t seem like it’ll work. Hopefully this test is one and done for me, so April ‘22 will be wide open!
You should go so you can relax after the test. Good luck on the test.

I thought about it, but between the studying and actually getting the jeep ready, probably wont have time for both. But im already dead set on next year, so theres a bright side to it all
Getting the license will pay off in the long run, but it can never pay off a Jeep. 🤣

All the best on the exam. It’s great to go that far in Engineering. Opens doors

Reactions: Tarmijo94
Well guys, it is with a heavy heart that the wife and I won’t be making it. I take my Engineering license exam a day before we would have to leave. Been racking my brain trying to figure out feasability, just doesn’t seem like it’ll work. Hopefully this test is one and done for me, so April ‘22 will be wide open!
Sorry to hear that you won't be making it. Best of luck on your exams...knock 'em dead!

Hey, have you considered reaching out to other members for help getting your Jeep ready in time? I, for one, would be happy to run up to Arlington for a day or two to help out a fellow Jeeper! Anyone who loves TJ's and puppy dawgs is OK in my book!

Waiting on parts is beginning to kill me, more delays, I'm still pushing through, though I'm glad the GMSR radios got mentioned, I have two new in box with mounts for my TJ that I've completely forgotten about that I need to add to my lift as well, I might try tackling that as well this weekend.

Also at this point I've spent all my spare time working on my TJ I haven't taken the time to really look at my Moab Tail Guide book yet. I need to do that soon.

Thanks
Grant

Last edited:
Hey, have you considered reaching out to other members for help getting your Jeep ready in time? I, for one, would be happy to run up to Arlington for a day or two to help out a fellow Jeeper! Anyone who loves TJ's and puppy dawgs is OK in my book!
Actually hadn't thought of that. I keep forgetting theres a bunch of y'all down south of me, and i still need to meet y'all for a trip sometime. I often find I will be wary to try an upgrade due to experience, but can't learn without it after all. Maybe a "hypeman" is all i need LOL

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Actually hadn't thought of that. I keep forgetting theres a bunch of y'all down south of me, and i still need to meet y'all for a trip sometime. I often find I will be wary to try an upgrade due to experience, but can't learn without it after all. Maybe a "hypeman" is all i need LOL
Study with books on tape while working on the Jeep. YOU GOT THIS!

Hey all, @Mrs Tox and I likely won't be making it this year. I have to give my cat daily treatment for the next 3+ months so trips have been put on hold for us. She's shown improvement this week so it's all going to be worth it in the end. See everyone on Summer rides and TJ Fest 2022?
Can’t you leave your cat at the vet for a week?

Can’t you leave your cat at the vet for a week?

Nope. :( They don't provide overnight care and the vet is humoring me as it is with getting me supplies for the injection but he won't administer the meds since they're not FDA approved and not supposed to be in this country and he could lose his license (patent infringement that required me sourcing vials them China and finding somebody who imports). Sketchiest purchase of my life. The injection has to happen within 30m of the same time each day and due to the ph burns as it's going in so the cat needs to be restrained. It's a huge 2.4cc shot too (and keeps increasing as she gains weight back). I accidentally pricked myself and I can attest to the pain. Due to all of that, I can't imagine anybody signing up to take care of her for a week. I also can't stop for a week or she'll build resistance to the meds. Literally one shot at this and once we started we can't stop for 3 months.

Last edited:
As someone who has never been to Moab. For the trails that require day use permits, can you buy them on-site at the visitor center the day of OR is there a way to buy in advance? From what I found on-line it appears that you just buy them the day of when entering the parks (this includes mt biking as well).

I got my MOAB, UT Backroads and 4 wheel drive trails today. I also have GAIA on my phone and have used it several times for overlanding the Ozark National Forest so I will start downloading GPX files for trails in the Moab area.

As someone who has never been to Moab. For the trails that require day use permits, can you buy them on-site at the visitor center the day of OR is there a way to buy in advance? From what I found on-line it appears that you just buy them the day of when entering the parks (this includes mt biking as well).

I got my MOAB, UT Backroads and 4 wheel drive trails today. I also have GAIA on my phone and have used it several times for overlanding the Ozark National Forest so I will start downloading GPX files for trails in the Moab area.
For the sand flat recreation area, fins/hells..., there's a drive-up station where you pay the ranger. Much like entering most national parks.

Trails like elephant hill are booked 24 hrs in advance and then you also pay to enter canyonlands.

For the sand flat recreation area, fins/hells..., there's a drive-up station where you pay the ranger. Much like entering most national parks.

Trails like elephant hill are booked 24 hrs in advance and then you also pay to enter canyonlands.
I stayed up late to buy my elephant hill pass. When I got there several people were buying them day of.

I was a little pissed that I thought ahead and got no benefit. That said I was guaranteed in and it’s a 70 mile drive to the trail.

Nope. :( They don't provide overnight care and the vet is humoring me as it is with getting me supplies for the injection but he won't administer the meds since they're not FDA approved and not supposed to be in this country and he could lose his license (patent infringement that required me sourcing vials them China and finding somebody who imports). Sketchiest purchase of my life. The injection has to happen within 30m of the same time each day and due to the ph burns as it's going in so the cat needs to be restrained. It's a huge 2.4cc shot too (and keeps increasing as she gains weight back). I accidentally pricked myself and I can attest to the pain. Due to all of that, I can't imagine anybody signing up to take care of her for a week. I also can't stop for a week or she'll build resistance to the meds. Literally one shot at this and once we started we can't stop for 3 months.
I thought all vets did some boarding. That sucks.

It should be noted that this is more of a wheeling trip than it is an event.

Food will not be provided, there will be no vendors, it's really just a bunch of TJ owners going on what I intend to become a "yearly wheeling trip".

In hindsight, the name "TJ Fest" is a bit misleading, as it suggests it is some sort of festival, which it's not.

There will be no set plans on what we are doing. It will be as simple as meeting up each morning (or getting people's phone numbers who you want to wheel with) and deciding what trail we want to do.

There will be no oversight or instruction as to who goes where by me or anyone else. One group may be doing more difficult trails, while another group will simply be doing more scenic trails. Certain groups will of course have requirements. For instance, a group that's picked a more difficult trail for the day will not be letting anyone tag along who doesn't have lockers and 35s or larger.

As long as each group has a trail leader who has the Gaia GPS app and the GPX maps from https://www.trailsoffroad.com, then there is no way to really get lost. A GMRS radio is highly, highly recommended, but a CB at the minimum. People without at least one of these communication options should not come, period. There is no excuse whatsoever for not having at least one of these communication options.

Anyways, I just want to lay this out that this is a wheeling trip. It will not even be remotely similar to EJS. It's a forum wheeling trip, plain and simple.
Chris, curious which overlays did you download from Gaia app of MOAB area?

I'm not a Gaia app expert and ended up downloading MOAB area and Active Map Overlay: USFS Roadless, MVUM (USFS), Gaia Topo (Feet) Gaia Street, & USGS Topo (base map).

Chris, curious which overlays did you download from Gaia app of MOAB area?

I'm not a Gaia app expert and ended up downloading MOAB area and Active Map Overlay: USFS Roadless, MVUM (USFS), Gaia Topo (Feet) Gaia Street, & USGS Topo (base map).

I got the GPX maps for Moab from @Alex01 who has been there before (I haven't) so I trusted him.

I'm not sure where he got the GPX, but I would assume https://www.trailsoffroad.com

I haven't even bothered with the layers yet.

I got the GPX maps for Moab from @Alex01 who has been there before (I haven't) so I trusted him.

I'm not sure where he got the GPX, but I would assume https://www.trailsoffroad.com

I haven't even bothered with the layers yet.
Ok, I have the Gaia GPS Premium version and will look later if they have the Moab trails incorporated into the overlays and also look further into this trailsoffroad.com web site.

Reactions: Chris
Ok, I have the Gaia GPS Premium version and will look later if they have the Moab trails incorporated into the overlays and also look further into this trailsoffroad.com web site.
My experience is that Gaia has some decent GPXs, but the ones you’ll get in TrailsOffRoad are far superior. They include waypoints and are very detailed.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Status
Not open for further replies.