TJ Fest 2021 - Moab (April 24 – May 1, 2021)

Added to Calendar: 8 dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the AnyTone AT778UV is a full GMRS send/receive radio. Getting mine from Wally World (Walmart.com) for about $5 more than Amazon...well worth it to not support a company who thinks that their opinion on politics is more important than Americans' right to free speech...oops, better stop.
I should mention that this is the same unit as the Retevis RT95. There are lots of videos on these on the tube of U.
One other thing I should make clear; the AnyTone AT778UV / Retevis RT95 and the Baofeng radios are all "Amateur" radios that can work in the GMRS/FRS frequencies. They are NOT, however, officially sanctioned GMRS radios. Because of this, you are not "technically" allowed to operate them on the GMRS frequencies with the standard GMRS license.
That said, they are all capable of working within the legal power limits of the higher powered GMRS channels. In reality, only GMRS certified radios bother to even do the .5 watt channels from 8 to 14, but then, no one uses those channels anyway because of their power limitations.
Will you get caught using one of these radios on the GMRS channels?, almost certainly not. If you have the GMRS license, will anyone care (as long as you stay within the power output and bandwidth limitations of the channel you are using), very, very unlikely. Are you breaking the rules?, yep.
If you want to be 100% rule-abiding and want to get more than 8 watts, you could look at something like the Midland MXT115 or MXT275 MicroMobile 15 watt radios or the MXT400 40 watt unit. For handhelds, there are lots of "official GMRS" units but few of them even specify their TX power, with most just giving some complete BS "miles" rating that don't mean squat.

One other thing I should make clear; the AnyTone AT778UV / Retevis RT95 and the Baofeng radios are all "Amateur" radios that can work in the GMRS/FRS frequencies. They are NOT, however, officially sanctioned GMRS radios. Because of this, you are not "technically" allowed to operate them on the GMRS frequencies with the standard GMRS license.
That said, they are all capable of working within the legal power limits of the higher powered GMRS channels. In reality, only GMRS certified radios bother to even do the .5 watt channels from 8 to 14, but then, no one uses those channels anyway because of their power limitations.
Will you get caught using one of these radios on the GMRS channels?, almost certainly not. If you have the GMRS license, will anyone care (as long as you stay within the power output and bandwidth limitations of the channel you are using), very, very unlikely. Are you breaking the rules?, yep.
If you want to be 100% rule-abiding and want to get more than 8 watts, you could look at something like the Midland MXT115 or MXT275 MicroMobile 15 watt radios. For handhelds, there are lots of "official GMRS" units but few of them even specify their TX power, with most just giving some complete BS "miles" rating that don't mean squat.
....so what yer sayin' is a CB will be just fine...

I always get so excited when I see the notification for a new post in this topic. So many trails, rides, Jeeps, parts, upgrades, restaurants, or beer that could be discussed.

And then I end up just cussing under my breath when it is just another post about radios.

I always get so excited when I see the notification for a new post in this topic. So many trails, rides, Jeeps, parts, upgrades, restaurants, or beer that could be discussed.

And then I end up just cussing under my breath when it is just another post about radios.
Well, let's discuss restaurants then. Those of you who have had the privilege to go to Moab, what are some must-hit food spots?

The brewery was good, I forgot about it due to bad service. I’m sure the waitress we had is long gone. My gf said it was one of the best margaritas she ever had at the brewery.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
A little bit of a drive, but Red Cliffs Lodge is nice.

maxresdefault.jpg

Well this is turning from a Father and Son trip. To a father, son, and now Grandfather trip! I text my dad to see if he would want to join us and he responded really quickly that he is in. I just bought his airline tix to fly him from Florida to TN so he can drive out with us. A friend of mine also is going to join us with his JKU. So I cancelled my hotel reservation and we got a VRBO on the south side of town (I think it's called Moab South Valley, it's close to the Moab KOA). I also just ordered a new car hauler, so it is starting to get real.

Thanks for the restaurant recommends, I jotted them down and put them in my trail guide book so I won't be scrolling through these pages on my phone trying to find them while we are there. Keep them coming.

All the radio discussion should be on the official equipment thread. This one is a nightmare with over 2300 messages to wade through.

Reactions: Tob
Status
Not open for further replies.