TJ prices

Pedro Riesgo

Hello!

I feel curious about the prices of "classic" TJs in different places/countries.
My 2000 TJ, 2'5, with no mods, had a price of 8000€ (9400$ aprox) one month ago and it was cheap.
Medium prices for that kind of TJs were near 12000€. Nice prepared TJs, similar to one of most of yours, can reach a little bit more than 20000€...
What about there?

That same vehicle here would be around $8,000 at most. You might find one in the same configuration for $10,000, but it would have to be low miles and rust free.

A 2003-2006 TJ Rubicon (the most desirable of the TJs) with under 100k miles and no rust will go for around $18,000 to $20,000 assuming it's very, very clean.

Reactions: rubicube
That same vehicle here would be around $8,000 at most. You might find one in the same configuration for $10,000, but it would have to be low miles and rust free.

A 2003-2006 TJ Rubicon (the most desirable of the TJs) with under 100k miles and no rust will go for around $18,000 to $20,000 assuming it's very, very clean.
With all due respect thats a bit strong.

Your baseline prices would very for absolutely positively pristine vehicles...
And virtually no Jeep is that. Either beat to hell or full of mods and or cancer repairs.

Having said that I did some work for 300 plus insurance companies. I set the replacement cost based on market value of specific vehicles. I'm the one who told the insurance adjuster how much to give.

The Jeep Wrangler was far and away #1 in holding it's value from a percentage point of view. In other words at the year 5, 10 and 15 mark how much they're sold at versus the MSRP.

Wrangler was way out front with Diesel trucks being a distant second. Third was diesel VW/Audi cars.
Fourth was the typical Accord/Camry/Sonata/Maxima all mingling around the same.

Some areas were more extreme than others but Wrangler was always far and away #1.

Good day

Reactions: Tomcat
With all due respect thats a bit strong.

Your baseline prices would very for absolutely positively pristine vehicles...
And virtually no Jeep is that. Either beat to hell or full of mods and or cancer repairs.

Having said that I did some work for 300 plus insurance companies. I set the replacement cost based on market value of specific vehicles. I'm the one who told the insurance adjuster how much to give.

The Jeep Wrangler was far and away #1 in holding it's value from a percentage point of view. In other words at the year 5, 10 and 15 mark how much they're sold at versus the MSRP.

Wrangler was way out front with Diesel trucks being a distant second. Third was diesel VW/Audi cars.
Fourth was the typical Accord/Camry/Sonata/Maxima all mingling around the same.

Some areas were more extreme than others but Wrangler was always far and away #1.

Good day

Region depends a lot as well.

I see 03-06 Rubicons going regularly for 18k with less than 100k miles and around 15-16k with over 100k miles.

Cross regularly sells low mileage TJ Rubicons for upwards of 20k.

Searched long and hard for our 2005 Rocky Mountain edition automatic with 72k miles on it, I paid a little more then I wanted to but it was Exactly what my son wanted and to build it would have cost more to find a stock one and build it. I asked my son was there anything else he wanted to do to it and he said no Dad I love everything it has On it. That was when I knew I paid what it was worth, to Me.

I found an 03 Rubicon with only 46000 miles. Totally stock, new top, absolutely zero rust, perfect paint, not one ding.ooks damn near perfect. I've had it for a year now with no issues. Yeah, I paid 20000 for it, but it was worth it to me.

IMG_20191023_114731785_HDR.jpg

I found an 03 Rubicon with only 46000 miles. Totally stock, new top, absolutely zero rust, perfect paint, not one ding.ooks damn near perfect. I've had it for a year now with no issues. Yeah, I paid 20000 for it, but it was worth it to me.View attachment 195355

Yep, clean ones can go for that price. It’s worth it sometimes too!

Reactions: Rick Flair
You should see what the TJs are going for in Southern California...
When I was looking this past January; I found 4 cylinders going for 12-14K and the 6 cylinders going for 14-16K and if it was a Rubicon edition the price was 18-20K. IF you found any of these with low mileage; then you could add 2-3K...
I was lucky and found an '01 Sport 4.0L 5 speed that needed alot of TLC for $6K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54
In western Australia TJ,s range from $4500 au to $10,000 au thats $3500 US or 3000 euro to $7250US or 6000 euro.
Cars dont rust here so price range is usually for oldest to newest or mileage/KMs travelled, some try to get a lot more with mods but usually fail, the 5-7 grand TJ mark here has hit a price hike of late due to Covid 19 and not being able to vacation overseas so everyone wants a 4x4 and any 4x4. Also most TJs here have done less than 200k miles with the average around 100k miles I think this is due to cost of petrol (Gas) and parts/servicing.
I can see low mile rust free stock TJs being imported back to US from Australia in a few years like has been done with many other US classics here.
CJ,s are very expensive now and collector/enthusiast jeeps, very hard to find a CJ anywhere close to a top TJ price.
I have been looking for a TJ for around a year because I wanted color model mileage and stock (less messed with) and am kicking myself for not buying earlier and being so fussy, I ended up getting one that cost me more for lesser condition and higher price.
I know prices here will go back down a bit eventually due to the recession but I decided to buy now before so many get messed up by those without the available funds to maintain a Jeep!

Also I dont think they sold the 4 Bangers in Australia only the 4L 6. 97 to 2006 Sports, 60ths, 65ths, Renegade, Golden eagle, very few unlimited very few Rubicon,s with the sport being the most common but used price costing same as other models except Rubi and Unlimited. :)

You should see what the TJs are going for in Southern California...
When I was looking this past January; I found 4 cylinders going for 12-14K and the 6 cylinders going for 14-16K and if it was a Rubicon edition the price was 18-20K. IF you found any of these with low mileage; then you could add 2-3K...
I was lucky and found an '01 Sport 4.0L 5 speed that needed alot of TLC for $6K.
I can see you stealing all our good Aussie TJ,s and shipping tem back to C.A
To be honest I believe TJ prices will keep rising in Australia as more and more people discover what they cost in USA!

Reactions: CharlesHS
Mississippi:
I purchased a 2004 TJ 4.0 125k miles with 2 inch lift, after market front bumper with smittybuild winch, aftermarket rims, with 33 inch tires, blue tooth CD player, soft top, half doors, light bar, for 8,500 cash

miles and no rust will go for around $18,000 to $20,000 assuming it's very, very clean.
About 5 years ago I paid $18k for my 06 rubicon. Had 36k miles on it, and abr bumpers, winch, JK wheels, and hardtop. If only the dreaded DW demon had not been possessing it since...

Reactions: Chris
Paid $7500 for an 02 X with about 93000 miles, in the Northeast (Maine). Hardtop and soft top included. Only thing it had was slightly larger tires, no other mods. Suspension pretty worn, some rust but nothing insane or rotted (except one spot I’m getting fixed)...Jeep guy I’m working with (making me wiser in all things Jeep haha) said I paid just about what it was worth.

03 Rubicon, 110,000 miles. Lightly used, but not trashed at all. Needed a suspension refresh. $14,000 usd about 4 years ago.

Id ask 16k if I sold it today.

Reactions: rubicube
Paid $7500 for an 02 X with about 93000 miles, in the Northeast (Maine). Hardtop and soft top included. Only thing it had was slightly larger tires, no other mods. Suspension pretty worn, some rust but nothing insane or rotted (except one spot I’m getting fixed)...Jeep guy I’m working with (making me wiser in all things Jeep haha) said I paid just about what it was worth.
Things are, at the end of the day, worth what are paid for them. :)

Reactions: hear
My buddy paid 10k (private sale) for a nice f150...it lasted 6 months, nothing but issue after issue.

Being such good friends...we still haven’t let him live it down 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 707kevin
From where *I* sit watching Jeep Wrangler TJ & LJ prices, I'd say that it's not a matter of paying too much, it's simply a matter of "buying too soon" right now. Buy the EXACT one you want, assuming you can find it at (almost) ANY price; the downside being that you might have to wait a little longer before you can realize a return/increase...