TJ seat foam

There is a bag of them included in the bag with the seat foam.

Mine shipped separately, foam arrived Saturday, rings yesterday.

Does anyone know what size the hog rings are? I would like to make sure I have some on hand before I start

From my Amazon special It was easier to use 1/2in rings on the back of the foam and the 3/8 in the front.

It’s not that difficult, the 2nd time… for me, the the first time was figuring out how they came apart and the easiest way to put them back together… I got a cheap set of hog ring pliers from Amazon… don’t worry about the rings, the ones that the seats come with are better… on the back corner, you will find a zipper and the end will be tucked inside the seat, pull the zipper and out and attach a zip tie to the zipper part to help you pull it down. Your favorite penetrating oil may be needed… there are 2 13mm bolts on the lever side of the seat back and 1 hex bolt on the opposing side, remove them and remove the back from the seat bottom…. At this point you have just the seat bottom on front of you…. Flip the seat bottom upside down and you will find the upholstery is connected to the seat frame by two plastic strips… I used to screwdriver to get them started off the frame and then it’s just a matter of peeling the cover off the pad… You should find 6 hog ring staples holding the fabric to the pad, cut the rings, and you should find two or three holding the pad to the frame in the back, cut them… At this point, you should be able to remove the pad from the seat frame… Put back together in reverse order and you’re done!.. Well worth the effort, I didn’t realize how bad mine were until I put the new ones on, I sit probably 2 inches higher than I did, I’m not leaning toward the door and I don’t feel like I’m bottoming out when I hit a bump…

* easiest way I found to hook the two plastic strips back to the frame was too grab a handful of material below the strip and pul over the frame….

Great writeup! Thanks. I think I'll order them. I assume the procedure is similar on the passenger side?

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
It's been mentioned here by several people that the new foam is firmer and you will probably sit one or two inches higher. I have new bushings under the seat frames that are 11/2 inch taller than stock to allow me sit higher. Should I remove them while installing the foams or do you think it'll be fine with firmer/possibly higher foam. I don't want to have my bald head to catch all the bugs from outside with top down! :sneaky: I'm 5'7".

It's been mentioned here by several people that the new foam is firmer and you will probably sit one or two inches higher. I have new bushings under the seat frames that are 11/2 inch taller than stock to allow me sit higher. Should I remove them while installing the foams or do you think it'll be fine with firmer/possibly higher foam. I don't want to have my bald head to catch all the bugs from outside with top down! :sneaky: I'm 5'7".

I think it depends on how worn out your foam is. I just finished replacing my drivers side. I had recently refreshed my seats and used the old steam cleaner trick to plump the foam back up. It was in decent shape but had the typical tear on the outside lower edge. I had glued and reinforced it but figured new foam would be a better long term solution. The new seat foam is a firmer but I don't feel like I sit that much higher. I did notice that the 97-02 foam design looks a lot thicker than the 03-06. Perhaps it is more noticeable on the earlier years. It actually has me wondering if the foam was part of what Jeep changed to lower the seating position in the later years.

Reactions: nitrofalcon
I think it depends on how worn out your foam is. I just finished replacing my drivers side. I had recently refreshed my seats and used the old steam cleaner trick to plump the foam back up. It was in decent shape but had the typical tear on the outside lower edge. I had glued and reinforced it but figured new foam would be a better long term solution. The new seat foam is a firmer but I don't feel like I sit that much higher. I did notice that the 97-02 foam design looks a lot thicker than the 03-06. Perhaps it is more noticeable on the earlier years. It actually has me wondering if the foam was part of what Jeep changed to lower the seating position in the later years.
I don't think my foams were that deterioted either other than outside lower edge. I like sitting high in my cars. I think I'll do one side and test it. I can always swap the bushings later easily. I'll do the passenger side first since my wife is shorter. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 06lj
A picture is worth a thousand words… or something like that.

Here’s a breakdown with some photographs on removing it:

Quick Tip: you might have to slide the seat forward or back to have a better angle to reach some of the plastic inserts.

Tools used to remove the seat:
13mm socket
T50 bit socket
Ratchet
13mm ratcheting wrench

The sockets and ratchet were used to remove the two bolts behind the seat while the ratcheting wrench was used to remove the two bolts to the front seat.

*Might need to use penetrating fluid pending how difficult the bolts are.

Tools used to remove the cover/foam seat:

Cutting Pliers
90* Pick

Once the seat is off you’ll remove the plastic insert at the front of the seat. I grabbed a handful of the material to the base of the seat and pulled towards the plastic insert and using the 90* pick pulled the plastic insert off.

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0451.jpeg

Using the same method, locate the plastic inserts on each side of the seat inbetween the seat base and foam seat:

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

At this point you can pull the cover starting at the front up and cut the hog rings 2 at a time as you move your way to the back. You’ll find 3 hog rings on each side 6 total all marked in red arrows. You’ll notice the hog rings are wrapped around a long wire that’s attached to the seat cover giving the cover a tight fit to the foam seat, keep this in mind when it comes time for the installation of the new hog rings with foam seat.

The blue arrow indicated a strip of Velcro that’s attached to the seat base. Carefully remove the felt from the seat against the Velcro.

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

While working the seat cover back you’ll have to work around the seat belt and lever. I ended up removing the plastic inserts found at each side towards the back of the seat (only took photos of one side):

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

Finally there’s the large plastic insert found at the back which likely took me the longest trying to reach it with the 90* pick through the seat base and again pulling the material towards the plastic insert:
IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0467.jpeg

At this point the foam seat should be able to be easily removed:

IMG_0469.jpeg

Now you would replace it with the new foam seat and put it back together in reverse order with the following tools:

Hog Ring Tool (or long flat nose pliers)
Hog Rings

The only difference is you would run the hog rings through the seat foam and wire attached to the cover and pinch the hog ring using a hog ring tool (or long flat nose pliers).

I would give directions of the installation if it wasn’t for the fact that I thought the large package summit sent contained the seat foam, but instead was the hog ring tool…😂

IMG_0455.jpeg

Last edited:

Quick Tip: you might have to slide the seat forward or back to have a better angle to reach some of the plastic clips.

13mm socket
T50 bit socket
Ratchet
13mm ratcheting wrench

The sockets and ratchet were used to remove the two bolts behind the seat while the ratcheting wrench was used to remove the two bolts to the front seat.

Tools used to remove the cover/seat foam:

Cutting Pliers
90* Pick

Once the seat is off you’ll remove the plastic insert at the front of the seat. I grabbed a handful of the material to the base of the seat and pulled towards the plastic insert and using the 90* pick pulled the plastic insert off.

View attachment 513561

View attachment 513562

View attachment 513563

Using the same method, locate the plastic inserts on each side of the seat inbetween the seat base and foam seat:

View attachment 513571

View attachment 513573

View attachment 513574

View attachment 513575

At this point you can pull the cover starting at the front up and cut the hog rings 2 at a time as you move your way to the back. You’ll find 3 hog rings on each side 6 total all marked in red arrows. You’ll notice the hog rings are wrapped around a long wire that’s attached to the seat cover giving the cover a tight fit to the foam seat, keep this in mind when it comes time for the installation of the new hog rings with foam seat.

The blue arrow indicated a strip of Velcro that’s attached to the seat base. Carefully remove the felt from the seat against the Velcro.

View attachment 513576

View attachment 513577

View attachment 513578

While working the seat cover back you’ll have to work around the seat belt and lever. I ended up removing the plastic inserts found at each towards the back of the seat (only took photos of one side):

View attachment 513579

View attachment 513580

Finally there’s the large plastic insert found at the back which likely took me the longest trying to reach it with the 90* pick through the seat base and again pulling the material towards the insert:
View attachment 513581

View attachment 513582

View attachment 513583

Now you would replace it with the new foam seat and put it back together in reverse order with the following tools:

Hog Rings

The only difference is you would run the hog rings through the seat foam and wire attached to the cover and pinch the hog ring using a hog ring tool (or long flat nose pliers).

I would give directions of the installation if it wasn’t for the fact that I thought the large package summit sent contained the seat foam, but instead was the hog ring tool…😂

View attachment 513572

When you get done you should finish this and post(submit?) it for the how to section. Apparently its confusing for some people

Reactions: Sgt Jarhead
In case anyone is interested, I weighed the Summit late model (2003-2006) seat base foam with my refrigerant scale (pretty accurate scale). Results:

SUM-RP20034-LH (Driver) - 2.88 lb
SUM-RP20034-RH (Passenger) - 2.68 lb

I don't plan to replace mine immediately, so I don't have the OEM weight to compare, yet.

In case anyone is interested, I weighed the Summit late model (2003-2006) seat base foam with my refrigerant scale (pretty accurate scale). Results:

SUM-RP20034-LH (Driver) - 2.88 lb
SUM-RP20034-RH (Passenger) - 2.68 lb

I don't plan to replace mine immediately, so I don't have the OEM weight to compare, yet.

I just did this today. 2002 Shara. I used a cheap pair of hog ring pliers I had and the big hog rings supplied. I did notice while clipping that several places had a couple of hog rings. I forgot to double up. The old foam has a glued fabric backer. I didn’t peel it off and reuse it. I didn’t see it until I picked up the trash.
The new foam is a bit firmer but it feels fine and gave my left bolster better shape.

I completed mine driver side seat today in about 45min. I found it easiest to remove the back from the bottom and then separate the cushion pan. Once the cushion pan is removed it is easy to removed the plastic retainers, cut the original hog ties and pull the seat cover off. With the fabric removed, lay the seat cover over the new foam, re-hog tie it, stretch the seat cover over the foam, lay it on the pan and reinstall all the c-channel retainers. reassemble the bottom track pan to seat bottom pan and lastly reattach the back.

Haven take my seats out numerous times and replacing a broken cable a year ago I wasn’t afraid to separate the bottom two pans and the back.

To seperate everything there are a total of (8) 13mm bolts. (3) on each side and (2) in the back of the pan.

By doing it this way it allowed me to have full access to everything without any incumbents.

Once completed I will say it is much firmer and I do sit a bit higher. I’m short so it was an added bonus.

@Sgt. Jarhead did a fantastic write up with easy to follow along directions for those that don’t want to dismantle the whole seat.

I wish I had taken photos to show what bolts to remove and how I completed the project. Since I hadn’t done that, the least I could do was explain it and encourage everyone to tackle it as it is not a difficult project.

Quick Tip: you might have to slide the seat forward or back to have a better angle to reach some of the plastic inserts.

13mm socket
T50 bit socket
Ratchet
13mm ratcheting wrench

Tools used to remove the cover/foam seat:

Cutting Pliers
90* Pick

View attachment 513561

View attachment 513562

View attachment 513563

View attachment 513571

View attachment 513573

View attachment 513574

View attachment 513575

View attachment 513576

View attachment 513577

View attachment 513578

While working the seat cover back you’ll have to work around the seat belt and lever. I ended up removing the plastic inserts found at each side towards the back of the seat (only took photos of one side):

View attachment 513579

View attachment 513580

Finally there’s the large plastic insert found at the back which likely took me the longest trying to reach it with the 90* pick through the seat base and again pulling the material towards the plastic insert:
View attachment 513581

View attachment 513582

View attachment 513583

Hog Rings

View attachment 513572

Thanks for the great writeup and photos. I would recommend removing the 4 bolts that hold the seat's spring frame to the seat riser base so you can work on just the seat without the base. An extra step but I found it much easier to work that way.

Just a quick update to Sgt Jarhead's excellent instructions:

There are also a couple of hog rings at the back of the seat foam that need to be removed (at least on my 01 tj). Please note from the pictures that only the two on the most right hand and left hand side of the foam need to be removed. I'm currently doing the passenger side. Not sure if driver side has them as well. Once I complete both sides I'll update the sticky with pics.

Seat 1.jpg

Seat 2.jpg

Just a couple of thoughts for those doing this work.

1 - Perfect time to install seat heaters, you are doing the work anyway.
2 - Perfect time to clean your seat covers, I ran mine through the washer, and they came out great.

Also perfect time to replace broken wire springs under the foam.