TJ seat foam

Bummer they don't sell the back foam. Next time I'll remove the hog rings - sounds like its an easier approach.

Is the new one heavier because the old one lost foam or is the old one heavier like an old mattress?

How do you know which one is heavier, if you don't weigh them? To answer either of those questions, you have to start by weighing them.

How do you know which one is heavier, if you don't weigh them? To answer either of those questions, you have to start by weighing them.

I’m not the one doing job here. I’m asking which one do we expect to be heavier since somebody said to weigh them.

I’m not the one doing job here. I’m asking which one do we expect to be heavier since somebody said to weigh them.

Well, the old foam in the picture chili_pepper posted looked fairly well intact, so I don't think weight lost due to losing foam would be substantial. Likewise, I don't think the old foam would gain substantial weight over time (unless it's been wet frequently and a crazy amount of mold has grown in it). Therefore, if Summit is using the same foam as OEM, I'd expect very little difference in weight.

I ordered driver's seat foam and bushings for both my jeeps yesterday, and it should be here Monday.

Mine arrived, without the hog rings but my china best hog wrench plies came with a multi pack. Hand Dyno says the new foam is denser and heavier but unless you’ve got a postal scale, hard to get an accurate weight.

Pic with a 10lb plate show much more compression on the old foam.

IMG_0959.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

IMG_0957.jpeg

Had to get the seat and sub put back.

Didn’t get to drive it but it feels like I’m sitting on a booster seat. I’m 5’6 and i feel much higher than before, I’m sure the foam will settle down in a few weeks. Its definitely firmer, less butt sinking down, thighs are more supported and its nice to have side bolsters again.

More time spent getting the seat in/out than installing the foam.

Buy the chi-com Amazon / HF hog ring pliers + mix of rings. It was easier to use the 1/2in rings on the back of the foam and the 3/8 in the front.

My seats are pretty comfortable with low usage. The replacement will be a stock item for future use.

Mine only has ~39k miles but the foam had definitely deteriorated. Interested in how to store an extra for long term storage as a backup.

My driver/passenger set will be here tomorrow. I'm not installing them but just bought for backup. I'm going to keep mine inside the house in a closet for future use.

I think the problem is that by the time the foam starts ripping, the seat material is gone too, since it is just fabric and vinyl. So, you will have to replace the seat material as well as the foam. It is definitely cheaper if you install everything yourself. Here is an updated picture of my interior with the white seat belts that I took at work. I haven't detailed it recently. I also installed 255 color LED interior lights, because I was bored with the strictly white ones. They are really bright at night. As you can see, I've done a lot of work on my interior.

20240322_133219.jpg

20240322_133315.jpg

I just ordered the driver cushion, the seat rail kit and RR door threshold guards. My seat is much softer than the passenger, looking forward to getting this.

Spent the day driving around, very happy with the new foam and well worth the $ and hr of effort. Had to adjust my driving position and mirrors since it’s so much firmer and higher up but like a mattress, I suspect it will break in over the coming weeks.