TJ won’t start

Tbird Clair

Li'l Wrascal
Supporting Member
There is a rapid ticking but it won’t turn over. Runs when hooked to jumper cables, but once disconnected it won’t turn over again. Going to try a new battery... the current one is from Walmart and is only 2 years old... what is a good mid range battery I could find locally that is strong enough to run an 8,000 lb winch and four off road lights if need be. Thanks

what is a good mid range battery I could find locally that is strong enough to run an 8,000 lb winch and four off road lights if need be. Thanks
The Optima D34 YellowTop fits TJ and is for winch operations/air compressor/aux lighting etc. Runs about $280.

The Odyssey 34-790 Performance is a solid choice...$235.
The Odyssey 34-PC1500 Extreme also fits TJ and is better...runs around $275.

Last edited:
How about this?

X2 Power Battery by Northstar:

• Pulse cranking amps 1500 A
  • CCA rating at -18°C (0°F) 840 A
  • CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F) 1000 A
  • Reserve capacity 160 min
  • Capacity – 20 hour rate (1.75 vpc) 76 Ah

The Optima D34 YellowTop fits TJ and is for winch operations/air compressor/aux lighting etc. Runs about $280.

The Odyssey 34-790 Performance is a solid choice...$235.
The Odyssey 34-PC1500 Extreme also fits TJ and is better...runs around $275.
You absolutely can't beat Odyssey's batteries, I'll go with one once my present Diehard Platinum finally gives up the ghost.

But Optima? Nope, not a chance with me. Optima's quality took a big dump after Johnson Controls purchased them and moved Optima's manufacturing to Mexico several years ago. I had three Optima batteries in a row fail prematurely... two 34/78 Yellow Tops and one D34M Blue Top which is the same internally as the 34/78 Yellow Top. Optima's reputation started tanking so bad with massive quantities going bad that Optima sent various reps out to the forums to try to combat the situation. They had names like Optima Jim, Optima Dave, etc. but they were shouted down and eventually gave up.

Reactions: Chris
You absolutely can't beat Odyssey's batteries, I'll go with one once my present Diehard Platinum finally gives up the ghost.

But Optima? Nope, not a chance with me. Optima's quality took a big dump after Johnson Controls purchased them and moved Optima's manufacturing to Mexico several years ago. I had three Optima batteries in a row fail prematurely... two 34/78 Yellow Tops and one D34M Blue Top which is the same internally as the 34/78 Yellow Top. Optima's reputation started tanking so bad with massive quantities going bad that Optima sent various reps out to the forums to try to combat the situation. They had names like Optima Jim, Optima Dave, etc. but they were shouted down and eventually gave up.
I'll take your word for it on the Optima's, i'm in the neighborhood to buy a new battery before winter, so i'll most likely go with an Odyssey. Have any preference between the Performance and the Extreme?

I'll take your word for it on the Optima's, i'm in the neighborhood to buy a new battery before winter, so i'll most likely go with an Odyssey. Have any preference between the Performance and the Extreme?
The PC1500 would be my choice, not sure if it would be considered either of those models since it has been a while since I have been on the Odyssey website.

It wasn't long ago that mrblaine commented he also had good luck with Bosch Platinum batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: EJD and Tbird Clair
The PC1500 would be my choice, not sure if it would be considered either of those models since it has been a while since I have been on the Odyssey website.

It wasn't long ago that mrblaine commented he had had good luck with Bosch Platinum batteries.
The battery I got has the same specs of the odessey PC1500... it’s called X2 power sealed AGM ...know anything? Cost a pretty penny. Not a lot of reviews, but all good.

Mine was dead #floridaheat. Thanks for the suggestions...I went with the Odyssey 34-790
image.jpg

It wasn't long ago that mrblaine commented he also had good luck with Bosch Platinum batteries.
I have had good luck with the Bosch Platinum as well, they are made in USA by Exide