TJ's handling

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
So been driving my TJ for a few thousand miles and one thing I never thought I would say about my TJ is how well it handles around corners. Obviously it is a Jeep with a 2.5" lift, so we aren't comparing it to my other car which is an S5, but I am very impressed with the handling characteristics of my Jeep for what it is. Not sure if the BFG's I have help as well with that stiffer sidewall, but the combination I have seems to suit me very well. These things don't roll over super easy if I can squeal the tires around a corner.

Reactions: billiebob
So been driving my TJ for a few thousand miles and one thing I never thought I would say about my TJ is how well it handles around corners. Obviously it is a Jeep with a 2.5" lift, so we aren't comparing it to my other car which is an S5, but I am very impressed with the handling characteristics of my Jeep for what it is. Not sure if the BFG's I have help as well with that stiffer sidewall, but the combination I have seems to suit me very well. These things don't roll over super easy if I can squeal the tires around a corner.
I love taking corners fast in my Jeep. That thing hugs turns like it's glued down. I hardly ever get tire squeal and it never seems to give me the feeling it doesnt mind. :)

Reactions: Ozzie
Curves are much better when you’re running the Currie Anti-rock :)
I can't quite say that since even at its stiffest setting the Antirock isn't quite as stiff as the OE antiswaybar is. But its handling is still very good in my opinion, even with my Antirock set on its loosest setting.

I have the ORO dual rate front sway bar and it does handle extremely well for a 6-inch lifted TJ.

I can't quite say that since even at its stiffest setting the Antirock isn't quite as stiff as the OE antiswaybar is. But its handling is still very good in my opinion, even with my Antirock set on its loosest setting.

If the OE antiswaybar is stiffer than the Antirock, what is the purpose of changing to the Antirock?

Reactions: EJD
we aren't comparing it to my other car which is an S5, but I am very impressed with the handling characteristics
For sure. Wide Track, Short Wheelbase, pretty stiff suspension.

I loved my LRE MT2s when they were wore out. Stiff sidewalls, lots of bare rubber. I did several hundred miles on paved BC secondary roads with the temperature over 100F. When the "Warning, Curve, Slow to 40mph" signs show up. The TJ just carves the corner at 60mph.

There is nothing better than beating a BMW thru a mountain highway in a TJ.

Reactions: KCsTJ
here it is,... in Curries own words.

CAUTION: Jeeps will have more body roll than stock. This sway bar may be used on the street however, it will not provide the same performance as the stock setup.

There is nothing better than beating a BMW thru a mountain highway in a TJ.

If a BMW loses to a TJ on a mountain highway, I am thinking the BMW driver isn't a "driver" much. I would make a TJ look like it is standing still in my Audi with ease. Our Jeeps handle well for what they are, but they aren't a BMW.

Couldn't you just get quick disconnects for the stock sway bar, so you can enjoy safety on the highway and full articulation when disconnected?
Disconnecting the front antiswaybar doesn't give any greater useful articulation than the Antirock gives. Going on a difficult trail on two different similar Jeeps except one being equipped with an Antirock and the other just having a completely disconnected factory antiswaybar would quickly let you feel the differences between them. With the Antirock you'll get stability but with the front antiswaybar being completely disconnected, you'll get a loosey-goosey unstable Jeep... the more difficult the trail, the worse it gets when the front antiswaybar is disconnected.

And don't for an instant believe some of the misguided rumors that claim the Jeep will sway excessively with an Antirock... they just don't know what they're talking about. With good shocks, as opposed to worn out or overly soft shocks, the Jeep will still handle well. I regularly drive my TJ on very tight-twisty mountain roads while towing my pop-up tent trailer. My Antirock is permanently set to its loosest most flexible setting. My TJ still handles well on those mountain roads, so much so that I'm not wishing for my BMW 330ci on those roads instead.

Reactions: Chris and billiebob
Exactly !! Man does it feel good to show him up.
Not all BMW drivers are interested in getting into a competition with some unknown yahoo on a mountain road. Count me as one of those. I have enough closed track racing experience from my younger days to not feel my manhood is threatened if someone passes me on a tight twisty mountain road.

Reactions: KMG