Tools needed specific to a TJ

When removing/installing springs, the two tools I invariably use are a good prybar, for when you just need another 3/4" of room to free the spring from the base, and/or a small hydraulic bottle jack, pretty much for those times when the prybar isn't quite enough. Both keep you from having to unbolt a bunch of suspension components just to get the spring out/in.

Reactions: Kathy
One of the branik wall mounted spring compressors paired with the cheaper ones made my lift install a lot easier (and less sketchy than using the cheaper ones by themselves).

...a good drill motor and a 4" angle grinder. A wire feed welder. A small plasma torch. An oxy/propane torch set for heating and cutting. (Victor makes an excellent one)
Might I recommend the Milwaukee 1/2" drill motor with the optional hair removal system...? ;)
While I know it's not "TJ specific", I did finally break down and buy a 20-ton shop press (hydraulic press) from Harbor Freight, and I'd recommend it for any automotive hobbyist's shop. Though I initially had my reservations about it ( I mean, c'mon...it's Harbor Freight), I found it did an admirable job of pressing axle bearings and the like off/on for a Subaru I owned. It was one of those purchases that had me wondering why the hell I waited so long to get one. If you don't already have one, I believe it to be a worthy purchase. Also, I second @jeep_boss' suggestion of a quality bench vise. I've acquired a few beast-sized ones via garage sales, as well as at least one new one. All American made, and one from England. The Chinese ones are garbage...

Last edited:
If you are shopping for a vice you will never go wrong with an old made in England record no. 6 or 8. Be sure it's English and not the newer Chinese ones post Irwin buy out. Rie from Canada asking used to make a good product. They can be found for under a couple hundred bucks in decent shape.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Squatch and Kathy
More like a hair protection system on those drills. I will think twice about drilling with my hair Down.
So we currently have one bench vise in our current garage. I know Dave wants another one. How can I identify if it’s quality or no5 if I’m getting it off of craigslist?is there a brand stamp on them? And and a shop press sounds large? I’m not sure we have one of those. Would that be similar to a spring compressor
That @tomtaylz mentioned? Last thing I want is more bulky tools that’s used once in 10 yrs or less. We have enough of those IMO. Then again Dave always reminds me when we do need one of his tools or strange item he keeps and how lucky we were to have it. He’s right. Darn

My two cents - beer and bourbon. Beer while you are scratching your head trying to figure out how to do something on your jeep and the bourbon afterwards while you sit back and admire your work!

Reactions: Baird and Kathy
More like a hair protection system on those drills. I will think twice about drilling with my hair Down.
So we currently have one bench vise in our current garage. I know Dave wants another one. How can I identify if it’s quality or no5 if I’m getting it off of craigslist?is there a brand stamp on them? And and a shop press sounds large? I’m not sure we have one of those. Would that be similar to a spring compressor
That @tomtaylz mentioned? Last thing I want is more bulky tools that’s used once in 10 yrs or less. We have enough of those IMO. Then again Dave always reminds me when we do need one of his tools or strange item he keeps and how lucky we were to have it. He’s right. Darn
Good vices will have the name brand and country of origin as part of the casting on the main body. Generally they will also have the size on there but not always.

Look for something old made in England, Canada, or the USA. If you don't know brands that's a good place to start. My go to is usually Record but Wilton and Rae are also known to be good brands. Wilton still makes decent stuff if a bit expensive, Rae is out of business as far as I know and Record was bought by Irwin and manufacturering moved to China and the quality went with it. All that makes older better, however if you are looking at newer stuff and don't want to pay the price for US vices, there are some good products out of Taiwan, I just don't know any brand names.

A few plumbers wrenches, duct and electrical tape. A magnet on the end of an extendable antenna for grabbing dropped bolts. A good set of fuses. A picture of a new Rubicon to remind yourself just to buy one of those next time instead of building up yours.
We just got a magnet on the antenna and it has a light on it. Dave thought that was pretty slick. And I’d rather buy a cabin up north or some land with the money it costs to buy a new rubi :ciappa:

Good vices will have the name brand and country of origin as part of the casting on the main body. Generally they will also have the size on there but not always.

Look for something old made in England, Canada, or the USA. If you don't know brands that's a good place to start. My go to is usually Record but Wilton and Rae are also known to be good brands. Wilton still makes decent stuff if a bit expensive, Rae is out of business as far as I know and Record was bought by Irwin and manufacturering moved to China and the quality went with it. All that makes older better, however if you are looking at newer stuff and don't want to pay the price for US vices, there are some good products out of Taiwan, I just don't know any brand names.

I’m all about older. Thank you!

Reactions: Baird
A man/woman can't have too many vises!!I have two Wilton, a Columbia, & a leg vise. Also a broken Craftsman! The big Colombian & leg vises both anchored to a 55 gal oil drum full of concrete outside my shop.
I Use antisieze on allreassemblies as I'm the guy usually going to be taking it apart again. Kroil the best for rusty bolts. Have had great luck with HF $30 grinders w/paddle switch. Can find on sale for $20. I have three--grinding wheel, cutting disc, & wire brush- no need to switch discs!!
I don't sell jeeps; just buy them!!

Reactions: Baird and Kathy
Full set of standard and metric sockets, shallow and deep. Full set of good Torx sockets. A 36mm socket for front wheel bearings. A 12mm 12 pt socket for the front brake calipers. Of course the usual array of hand tools. Oh yea, and a 50 gallon barrel of Kroil :D
Left out BFH, liberal amounts of duh, several bottles of patience brew : )