Top mount snorkel

Brecontj

Is there a top mount snorkel on the market for a tj?
why top mount?
I don't trust the joins on the side mount kits, why route a tube that will be submerged if you need to use the snorkel ?
Looking at the treads on snorkels - of which there are many. I am not looking to submerge my jeep.
I got caught last year in a flood, and lost my engine, came up to my rock sliders and I,ve a 4" lift. Air box was switched over pointing up. And yes I I must have contributed to the failure.
so should the need arise - I am thinking a top mount - shortest route to the air box

I want to avoid using a hole saw to the cowling through the bulkhead. So, is there a top mounted tj snorkel on the market
Thanks
Rob Uk

Think about if you really want your air intake outside.

Dusty Jeep.JPG
Dusty Trail.jpg

Hauk Offroad Snorkel Kit with Filter - SNK-2309-F
this one is Universal fitment
If you're recommending anything with a K&N or similar reusable/washable filter, just understand such filters are absolutely the WORST where actually filtering dirt & dust out is concerned. I ask because Hauk shows K&N air filters in various intakes they sell.

The data from ISO 5001 conducted lab tests show the K&N is absolutely the worst filter for actually filtering air that has any dirt/dust component to it. As an air filter for typical dirty/dusty offroad conditions it's a joke.

I have an ARB snorkel on my current and previous two TJ’s. I like the fact that any water that does manage to get in the snorkel intake tube has to go straight UP, then wind it’s way through some more intake hose to the stock airbox, then go straight UP again before it can possibly make it’s way into the engine and cause damage.
Cowl snorkels are typically downhill from the cowl to the throttle body.

Now, fasten your seatbelt because you’re about to get a lot of negative comments on using a snorkel at all. People seem to think a snorkel is completely useless unless you waterproof every possible electrical connection and have all vent hoses relocated up high but in my opinion, I can dry out electrical connections on the trail but can’t really straighten connecting rods.
That, and the fact I been power washing the engines In every vehicle I’ve owned during the last four decades without a single issue I’m not expecting any problems caused by water intrusion.
One thing I will say is like Jerry picture shows, keep an eye on the air filter often as it does get dirtier much faster with a snorkel

Reactions: John Scoggins
Plus, he's in Wales. They may have a different take on snorkels over there.

Fix your factory air intake first before you make your Jeep look dumb. Water up to the rockers is nowhere near enough to kill an engine.

Reactions: Chris and chad
I have an ARB snorkel on my current and previous two TJ’s. I like the fact that any water that does manage to get in the snorkel intake tube has to go straight UP, then wind it’s way through some more intake hose to the stock airbox, then go straight UP again before it can possibly make it’s way into the engine and cause damage.

Now, fasten your seatbelt because you’re about to get a lot of negative comments on using a snorkel at all. People seem to think a snorkel is completely useless unless you waterproof every possible electrical connection and have all vent hoses relocated up high but in my opinion, I can dry out electrical connections on the trail but can’t really straighten connecting rods.
That, and the fact I been power washing the engines In every vehicle I’ve owned during the last four decades without a single issue I’m not expecting any problems caused by water intrusion.
One thing I will say is like Jerry picture shows, keep an eye on the air filter often as it does get dirtier much faster with a snorkel
I've always wanted to build a snorkel/light bar out of 2" SS tubing of roughly exhaust weight or slightly thinner. Have it come up each side of the windshield frame, bend over the top like the typical old school light bars. The lower ends would both go inside the cowl and feed the air intake. The middle of the upper section would be opened up into a nice clean rectangle pointing rearward with some screen on it.

Snorkel, cold air intake, light bar, what's not to like? The Swiss army knife of pissin folks off.

I've always wanted to build a snorkel/light bar out of 2" SS tubing of roughly exhaust weight or slightly thinner. Have it come up each side of the windshield frame, bend over the top like the typical old school light bars. The lower ends would both go inside the cowl and feed the air intake. The middle of the upper section would be opened up into a nice clean rectangle pointing rearward with some screen on it.

Snorkel, cold air intake, light bar, what's not to like? The Swiss army knife of pissin folks off.
DO IT!
...and figure out a way to blow fresh air on your fuel rail at the same time!

Plus, he's in Wales. They may have a different take on snorkels over there.
A good point. We're in landrover country here. Roll up to any garage with a jeep and they think u are a weirdo. why run a jeep boyo ? You can.t get parts and they cost a fortune.
Joking apart, it's pretty wet all year round. No dust.
I,m not looking to go river crossing. Just a safe kit .... Just in case.
Some one made a good point on the top mount kits maybe not drying off any moisture in the intake before hitting the filter.

Hi vinman
I get the point on the drying out ,and gravity taking a part in this. It's those couplings which could be underwater that cast a doubt . How deep have u been in your arb set up. Not that I am planning any river crossings soon.

Involve the whole group. Run the fancy stainless exhaust into the fancy stainless snorkel of the Jeep behind. Make a Jeep Jeepepede.

If you can somehow combine this with a hood louvre and an electric fan setup, they’d sell like hot cakes.

F26F2BDC-9768-4935-A71A-855884E95321.jpeg