Torque Wrench Calibration

I have access to a snap on torque checker device at my works fleet maintenance. These are the typical mechanics that have $100k in tools.

I have a Mac 0-250 and several harbor freight smaller torque wrenches. Everything has been good except for one of the harbor freight wrenches.

I was planning on doing a video comparing them all to see how accurate HF is compared to others but I just haven't gotten to it yet

Sta-bil has a shelf life of two years. The bottle on my shelf is five years old now. Seems ironic to only have a short life. 😵
Exactly- It’s like the Barry Manilow song that was such a big hit - I write the songs- Barry didn’t write that.

After you pick your jaw up off of the floor, once you see the prices, hopefully you realize that the home mechanic just doesn’t need that level of overpriced tools…
I have used a Snap-On 0-250 pound torque wrench for decades and it is definitely decent, but no way would I buy it new. I have used many many different brands over the last 29 years…
I can say with absolute certainty that all of my CDI torque wrenches are every bit as accurate, or better, than any other torque wrench I have ever used. Take a look at them…
I am fortunate enough to have a very good friend that is able to test our torque wrenches whenever asked…
I like the case the Snap On comes in. The case makes it well worth the money.

Reactions: MichaelGH
After you pick your jaw up off of the floor, once you see the prices, hopefully you realize that the home mechanic just doesn’t need that level of overpriced tools…
I have used a Snap-On 0-250 pound torque wrench for decades and it is definitely decent, but no way would I buy it new. I have used many many different brands over the last 29 years…
I can say with absolute certainty that all of my CDI torque wrenches are every bit as accurate, or better, than any other torque wrench I have ever used. Take a look at them…
I am fortunate enough to have a very good friend that is able to test our torque wrenches whenever asked…
Yeah I had no idea they were 500 dollars lol. If I buy any more torque wrenches it'll be years down the line and for heavy trucks so it will be worth it. CDI is apparently owned by snap on? So I would expect similar quality. Or as Artsifrtsi says they should be better.
I’ve always been interested in pre set torque wrenches. I wonder if they ever need calibration.

Anyone here ever use one?

I've never heard of preset torque wrenches, what is the application for that?

Reactions: MichaelGH
I've never heard of preset torque wrenches, what is the application for that?
I do a lot of tire rotations on several vehicles and they all have wheel nut torque specs in the 100ft/lb range.

I thought it would be nice to simply pick up a pre-set torque wrench that’s ready to roll out of the gate.

I’m not in any way suggesting that setting a torque wrench is hard. I do know that if you perform alot of vehicle maintenance anything that makes things quicker and easier is appreciated.

I do a lot of tire rotations on several vehicles and they all have wheel nut torque specs in the 100ft/lb range.

I thought it would be nice to simply pick up a pre-set torque wrench that’s ready to roll out of the gate.

I’m not in any way suggesting that setting a torque wrench is hard. I do know that if you perform alot of vehicle maintenance anything that makes things quicker and easier is appreciated.
For use at home, I wouldn't... unless you like storing and maintaining single function items...

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper

I think in that situation the benefits are outweighed by the cons, especially if you don't have a lot of space for tools anyways. Honestly when it comes to lug nuts I worry more about over torquing then under torquing. I've had to deal with the nonsense of too many seized up lug nuts that end up requiring a powerful impact to get them out. If I'm dealing with a luxury car wheel that requires 80 ft pounds only no more or less, the torque wrench comes out. If it's like the TJ and it has a range of 85-110 I know I'm not gonna over torque it unless I stand on the wrench or something and it has a forgiving range, I just use a breaker bar.

Reactions: Blondie70
I build trucks for a living. We calibrate our torque wrenches twice per shift. And all I do with mine is put the side mirrors on, lol.

And we have a stupid expensive CLECO machine that does the lug nuts. All data from that is logged and sent on to the customer.

I have a Proto torquing screwdriver, 1/4” snapon digital that is $500 last year, 3/8 CDI clicker that is 4 years old and was $350, and a Snapon 1/2” digital that was $650 this spring. Snapon 3/8” dial that is obsolete and still works, a cdi1/4” dial that was $350 last year, which I use for running torque on belts and friction lock nuts. And all are calibrated every year. Not including my fluke meter, various weight scales, dial indicators that are also calibrated. A couple are .0005” and one is .0001”. It’s expensive for calibration. And I should get my wire crimpers and strippers calibrated but I can’t justify it yet. My personal calibration bill was $1300 this year so far.

Last edited:
I have a Proto torquing screwdriver, 1/4” snapon digital that is $500 last year, 3/8 CDI clicker that is 4 years old and was $350, and a Snapon 1/2” digital that was $650 this spring. Snapon 3/8” dial that is obsolete and still works, a cdi1/4” dial that was $350 last year, which I use for running torque on belts and friction lock nuts. And all are calibrated every year. Not including my fluke meter, various weight scales, dial indicators that are also calibrated. A couple are .0005” and one is .0001”. It’s expensive for calibration. And I should get my wire crumpets and strippers calibrated but I can’t justify it yet. My personal calibration bill was $1300 this year so far.
Do you eat your wire crumpets with tea? :LOL:

If they are cheap, I wouldn't worry about them. The one's I've calibrated, they are not that accurate. If they are good then get Snap-On to calibrate them. When Bic lighters stop working, buy a new one. If it's that important to you, Buy a good one.