Tourist sub taking groups to look at Titanic wreckage goes missing

Elon Musk slams left-wing fact-checker Snopes after website rated claim his Starlink satellite was partly responsible for Titan submarine disappearance as TRUE

ommunity_note_on_Twitter_which_-m-73_1687456832441.jpg

72427823-12223979-image-a-51_1687455582281.jpg

72427843-12223979-image-a-49_1687455570465.jpg

eran_PH_Nargeolet_is_in_the_sub-a-16_1687467740461.jpg

Paul-Henri Nargeolet, 77 - known universally as PH - was part of the first human expedition to visit the Titanic's wreck in 1987, and had visited the site at least 35 times. His family said their hearts were broken over his death.

'He is a man who will be remembered as one of the greatest deep-sea explorers in modern history. When you think of the Titanic and all we know about the ship today, you will think of Paul-Henri Nargeolet and his legendary work.

'But what we will remember him most for is his big heart, his incredible sense of humor and how much he loved his family. We will miss him today and every day for the rest of our lives.'

we have carbon fiber SCBA tanks at work that have a 2216 psi working pressure

I've seen them before, but never used any. Do you know if they have a depth limit any different from traditional tanks?

That reminds me, I went into my local SCUBA shop years ago, and they had an entire exterior wall section missing in the refill room. Turned out a tank ruptured while filling. I think it even moved their machine around, which has to weigh a ton or more.

I've seen them before, but never used any. Do you know if they have a depth limit any different from traditional tanks?

That reminds me, I went into my local SCUBA shop years ago, and they had an entire exterior wall section missing in the refill room. Turned out a tank ruptured while filling. I think it even moved their machine around, which has to weigh a ton or more.

Scba tanks are for firefighters. My chief doesn't think its funny when i threaten to go diving with mine,lol

Do you know if they have a depth limit any different from traditional tanks?
I do not but the tanks I've used are SCBA not SCUBA. Think firefighters not divers. I don't even know if there's a difference in construction between the two.

Reactions: Rickyd and BlueC
Tycoon who turned down tickets for him and HIS son on doomed Titanic sub reveals texts from company boss trying to sell him last-minute cut-price seats for $100,000 off and telling him 'it was safer than crossing the street'

A Las Vegas financier turned down cut-price seats on the Titan's doomed trip after raising safety concerns – but was told by the company boss that it 'was safer than crossing the street', MailOnline can reveal today.

Jay Bloom has shared texts between himself and OceanGate chief executive Stockton Rush showing he and his son were offered a 'last minute price' of $150,000 a head (£120,000) – a discount on the usual $250,000 (£195,000) fee.

In a Facebook post he said: 'I expressed safety concerns and Stockton told me: “While there's obviously risk – it's way safer than flying in a helicopter or even scuba diving".

'He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street. I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong'.

72449407-12225963-image-a-85_1687505169501.jpg

72450973-12225963-image-a-123_1687509073879.jpg

h_show_he_was_offered_100_000_-m-122_1687508833443.jpg
h_show_he_was_offered_100_000_-a-118_1687508374866.jpg

72449401-12225963-image-m-121_1687508823173.jpg

72449403-12225963-image-a-93_1687505215832.jpg

72449455-12225963-image-a-84_1687505086926.jpg

In February this year Stockton Rush asked Mr Bloom and his son Sean to go on the dive to Titanic in May. Both May dives were postponed due to weather and the dive got delayed until June 18, the date of the ill-fated trip.

Mr Bloom said: 'I told him that due to scheduling we couldn’t go until next year. Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion, the fifth being Hamish Harding.

'RIP Stockton and crew. As for Sean and I... we are going to take a minute to stop and smell the roses. Tomorrow is never promised. Make the most of today'.

Texts between Mr Rush had repeatedly tried to reassure Mr Bloom about the safety of the Titan and heading to the Titanic's wreck.

He said his son was very worried about the risks after speaking with a friend. Mr Rush said: 'I'm happy to have a video call with him. Curious what the uninformed would say the danger is and whether it's real or imagined'.

They discussed how the hull would deal with pressure, or even if it came into contact with a whale or squid.

Mr Rush said: 'While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying in a helicopter or even scuba diving, There hasn't even been an injury in 35 years in non-military subs'.

Titanic director and submersible expert James Cameron said he predicted Titan's implosion days before the debris from the missing submersible was found, calling the search a 'prolonged nightmarish charade'.

More

TITANIC-BOUND SUBMERSIBLE Liability Waiver Protects OceanGate From Lawsuits ... EVEN IF THE CO. IS NEGLIGENT

The company behind the ill-fated submersible designed to explore the depths of the sea covered itself from the perils of underwater exploration with a comprehensive liability waiver, and we have a copy.

The document — used on a trip from last summer — repeatedly mentions the risk of serious injury or death, and tells passengers they assume the risk without any recourse against the company.

OceanGate makes it clear ... even if it's negligent in the design or operation of the vessel, the passengers have no legal recourse. The document states, "I hereby assume full responsibility for the risk of bodily injury, disability, death, and property damage due to the negligence of [OceanGate] while involved in the operation."

TITANIC-BOUND SUBMERSIBLE
Liability Waiver Protects OceanGate From Lawsuits
... EVEN IF THE CO. IS NEGLIGENT
Here's how robustly the company covered itself, telling passengers what they're up against -

6/23/2023 1:00 AM PT
The company behind the ill-fated submersible designed to explore the depths of the sea covered itself from the perils of underwater exploration with a comprehensive liability waiver, and we have a copy.

The document — used on a trip from last summer — repeatedly mentions the risk of serious injury or death, and tells passengers they assume the risk without any recourse against the company.

OceanGate makes it clear ... even if it's negligent in the design or operation of the vessel, the passengers have no legal recourse. The document states, "I hereby assume full responsibility for the risk of bodily injury, disability, death, and property damage due to the negligence of [OceanGate] while involved in the operation."

Here's how robustly the company covered itself, telling passengers what they're up against.

— "A portion of the operation will be conducted inside an experimental submersible vessel. The experimental submersible vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body and may be constructed of materials that have not been widely used in human occupied submersibles."

— "When diving below the ocean surface this vessel will be subject to extreme pressure, and any failure of the vessel while I am aboard could cause severe injury or death."

"If I choose to assist in the servicing or operation of the submersible vessel, I will be exposed to risks associated with high-pressure gases, pure oxygen servicing, high-voltage electrical systems and other dangers that could lead to property damage, injury, disability and death."
.... I hereby agree to defend, indemnify, save, and hold harmless OceanGate Expeditions, Ltd. ... from any loss, liability, damage, or costs they may incur to due to any claim brought in violation of this Release."

• Dislike
Reactions: Zorba
Hold on now, I’ve been reading about these electric car fires requiring complete submersion. Yall might need some new certifications with those tanks. ;)

I just did an electric car fire training tuesday. There are companies trying to sell shipping containers converted into tanks you can submerge cars in. But none of them will tell you what to do with the contaminated water afterwards.

Also contraptions you slide under that will spike the battery letting you inject water directly inside of it.

Barring that it can take 20k gallons to eventually cool a tesla pack so it will go out.electric trucks have even bigger batteries. Around here we don't have many hydrants so our focus is keeping the surroundings from burning,not so much the car.

Reactions: reddvltj and BlueC
I just did an electric car fire training tuesday. There are companies trying to sell shipping containers converted into tanks you can submerge cars in. But none of them will tell you what to do with the contaminated water afterwards.

How do you get the car into the tank?

Reactions: reddvltj

Also contraptions you slide under that will spike the battery letting you inject water directly inside of it.

Barring that it can take 20k gallons to eventually cool a tesla pack so it will go out.electric trucks have even bigger batteries. Around here we don't have many hydrants so our focus is keeping the surroundings from burning,not so much the car.

No hydrants here , if it's fully involved fuck the house , keep the fire out of the forest.

Reactions: Rickyd and reddvltj

From the basic understanding I have, it's rupturing battery cells that keep the fire going. I imagine spiking the pack would make that worse. Did they demo it?

Reactions: Rickyd