Tourist sub taking groups to look at Titanic wreckage goes missing

giphy.gif

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...anic-wreckage-goes-missing.71274/post-1348493

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC and jjvw
Updating:

ROV from Horizon Arctic discovered tail cone approximately 1600' from Titanic bow.

ROV subsequently discovered two debris fields - one containing the titanium bow cap and the other containing the aft titanium cap, as well as other debris.

Debris consistent with catastrophic pressure vessel failure. Families notified.

Debris fields are in an area that is "smooth bottom", free from Titanic debris.

CG assets did not hear an implosion after CG assets got on scene, implying implosion occurred before they arrived. Hence, knocking unrelated.

Will begin to demobilize many CG personal on scene, but will continue remote sea floor operations for some time.

Presser ended after a number of really stupid questions.

In addition to the landing frame and rear cover that were the first pieces of debris detected, the ROV submarine also found fragments of the pressure hull - the main body of the submersible.

72429403-12223805-image-a-26_1687459893693.jpg

'The debris is consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber. Upon this determination we immediately notified the families. On behalf of the Coast Guard and the entire unified command, I offer my deepest condolences to the families,' Rear Admiral Mauger said.

In its own statement, OceanGate said this afternoon: 'We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost.

'These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans.

'Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew.'

The company added: 'This is an extremely sad time for our dedicated employees who are exhausted and grieving deeply over this loss.

'The entire OceanGate family is deeply grateful for the countless men and women from multiple organizations of the international community who expedited wide-ranging resources and have worked so very hard on this mission.

'We appreciate their commitment to finding these five explorers, and their days and nights of tireless work in support of our crew and their families.

'This is a very sad time for the entire explorer community, and for each of the family members of those lost at sea.

'We respectfully ask that the privacy of these families be respected during this most painful time.'

Earlier, David Mearns, who was friends with two of the men on board, said the 'only saving grace' for the men was how quickly their deaths would have occurred.

'The hull hasn't yet been found but two very important parts of the whole system have been discovered and that would not be found unless its fragmented. That really indicates what is the worst case scenario which is a catastrophic failure, an implosion.

_Odysseus_6K_the_remote_operated-a-4_1687451761136.jpg

The debris was discovered by the Odysseus 6K, the remote-operated submarine deployed by the Horizon Arctic yesterday. The ROV can dive up to 20,000ft

Link

Stolen from elsewhere

Reading about bathyspheres and the first one was a cast steel, 1" thick sphere.

Even with three tiny windows (one plugged), they still did multiple test dives, and did come into leaks a few times, but the point was, they were doing tests.

This little chestnut came up while they were testing:

Beebe normally observed the depths through one of the Bathysphere's three windows since the searchlight was shone through the second, and a steel plug had been in place of the third, but this was changed when Barton had the steel plug replaced with a third window in order to film through it. When conducting an unmanned test of the Bathysphere with the third window installed, they found it almost entirely full of water. Realizing the immense pressure that the Bathysphere must be under, Beebe ordered his crew to stand clear and began loosening the hatch's bolts to remove the hatch himself.[2] Beebe described the experience that followed this in his book Half Mile Down:

Suddenly, without the slightest warning, the bolt was torn from our hands, and the mass of heavy metal shot across the deck like the shell from a gun. The trajectory was almost straight, and the brass bolt hurtled into the steel winch thirty feet [9.1 m] away across the deck and sheared a half-inch [13 mm] notch gouged out by the harder metal. This was followed by a solid cylinder of water, which slackened after a while into a cataract, pouring out the hole in the door, some air mingled with the water, looking like hot steam, instead of compressed air shooting through ice-cold water.[6]

Untitled_jpg-2860444.jpg

Bathysphere-Beebe-Barton_jpg-2860445.jpg

bath23_jpg-2860446.jpg

This one didn't even go down beyond a half mile.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba and Squatch
Reactions: Chris

He does seem to know a bit about this stuff.

Mrs App played some video for me today where a lady was talking about how her dad was a nuclear sub engineer expert and how he claimed the only way (if found intact) to get the sub to the surface was with a ROV equipped with a magnet that could latch on and haul it up. I’m thinking he wasn’t an expert on magnetism of carbon fiber and titanium.

Nothing surprising here. We were experimenting with carbon fiber wound instrument housings, about the time I retired. They were doing pressure testing/cycling to see how well they held up. Dunno what happened after that - maybe I need to send an email...

My understanding is carbon fiber is great in tension, not great in compression. Works well for a pressurized tank.

Reactions: Akitadog
My understanding is carbon fiber is great in tension, not great in compression. Works well for a pressurized tank.

You are correct! Being in engineering and working with CF anything in compression has to be almost twice as thick compared to what's needed in compression. Plus there's a fatigue factor involved here too.

The Navy has an extemely sensitive listening network in both the Atlantic and Pacific. It's there to pick up noise from and track submarines and is very very good. Apparently this network picked up the implosion of the Titan and pinpointed the location which resulted in a very quick find of the wreckage. The performance of the system is top secret and hush hush which is probably why no word of the implosion detection was announced before. The tapping sounds reported earlier aren't believed to have anything to do with the loss of submersible

Wonder what depth the Titan was at when the accident happened?? It was several hours into the descent but no report how deep it would have been after that amount of time.

The Navy has an extemely sensitive listening network in both the Atlantic and Pacific. It's there to pick up noise from and track submarines and is very very good. Apparently this network picked up the implosion of the Titan and pinpointed the location which resulted in a very quick find of the wreckage. The performance of the system is top secret and hush hush which is probably why no word of the implosion detection was announced before. The tapping sounds reported earlier aren't believed to have anything to do with the loss of submersible

Wonder what depth the Titan was at when the accident happened?? It was several hours into the descent but no report how deep it would have been after that amount of time.

I believe I remember hearing something about the timing of the loss of communication with the Titan coinciding with the time the sonar buoys picked up the implosion.

Reactions: Apparition

I believe I read that the descent took 2 hours and they were 1 hour and 45 minutes into it when they lost contact, so were very close to the Titanic depth.

I've also read that at that depth the water compresses the air in the sub so fast that it incinerates everything inside.

Wonder if this is why they keep saying that finding passenger remains is unlikely.

I've also read that at that depth the water compresses the air in the sub so fast that it incinerates everything inside.

Wonder if this is why they keep saying that finding passenger remains is unlikely.

I've haven't read that but I've read that the pressure at that depth is 5500 pounds per square inch. So you go from alive to squashed in milliseconds. 😲

Reactions: reddvltj