Tourist sub taking groups to look at Titanic wreckage goes missing

giphy.gif

72410621-12222279-image-a-13_1687429025732.jpg

Rush, who is lost on the vessel, is seen telling Estrada - who filmed the video and posted it on YouTube last year - about the seven-inch thick acrylic window on the front of the Titan to give those inside a view of the famous wreckage that lies 12,500 feet below the ocean surface.

He explains that the window gets 'squeezed' by the water pressure as it descends, and that it gives a 'warning' if its going to 'fail'.

Experts have said a structural failure is one of the possible fates suffered by the Titan, which set off on Sunday morning and lost contact with its mother ship after just 105 minutes into the two-hour descent to the Titanic wreckage.

Some fear this is likely amid reports that the deep-sea vessel did not meet the necessary safety standards to dive that deep, with Rush admitting in the clip himself that he has 'broken some rules to make this'.

The water pressure at the wreck site of the famous ocean liner is nearly 6,000 psi (pounds per square inch) - which means a weight equivalent to around two tons is exerted on any object at that depth.

Any vessel not able to withstand the pressure would be crushed, allowing water to flood inside. No human could survive such pressure without the protection of a submersible such as the Titan - and would be killed in such an event.

Despite the risks of entering such an inhospitable environment, Rush appears very confident in his invention in the clip, that has emerged on TikTok.

'It’s acrylic – plexiglass,' Rush tells Estrada after being asked what the window mounted at the front of the Titan vessel is made of.

'It is seven inches thick and weighs about 80lbs. And when we go to the Titanic, it will squeeze in about three-quarters of an inch and just deforms,' he explains.

'And acrylic is great because before it cracks or fails, it starts to crackle so you get a huge warning if it’s going to fail.'

More

72407127-12221737-image-a-43_1687423528129.jpg

A door with signage removed is seen at Ocean Gate Headquarters at the Waterfront Building within the Port of Everett complex in Everett, Washington.

• Face Palm
Reactions: ColoJeep
My son presented this shower thought last evening.

This would be an ideal way for a billionaire to "disappear" and avoid any nastiness that may be brewing back home.

The financials of the missing individuals may be an interesting thing to look at.

I have been a bit curious (lets call it) about the name “OceanGate” since the beginning… every big scandal is named what again?…

The water pressure at the wreck site of the famous ocean liner is nearly 6,000 psi (pounds per square inch) - which means a weight equivalent to around two tons is exerted on any object at that depth.

I hope that's not the understanding of how pressure works...or how tons work...when they designed the thing.

The sonar buoys were picking up banging on metal about every 30 minutes. If it was them, then it is likely that the sub got stuck. Seems like Stockton Rush is a bit of a Cowboy and may have maneuvered the sub too close (trying to show off) and the currents shoved them in the wrong place.

Look at all that crap hanging off the bottom of it. So easy to get hung up on rigging/debris, etc.

Reactions: Shank and BlueC
Well, I guess that's the end of that. Goddess keep them in Her arms. I guess that the banging sounds have stopped, and the search continues? @Just Chillin has an interesting theory - have they checked the actual Titanic wreck site?

"The sea lies in wait for the unwary. She stalks the reckless." Even when you do everything right, you can still get killed - even on the surface. This really sucks...

12,500 feet below the ocean surface.... just 105 minutes into the two-hour descent to the Titanic wreckage.

So if that sub is falling at 104 ft/minute, that indicates they lost contact somewhere around 11,000 ft. and 4,750 psi water pressure.

Last edited:
JUST IN: Debris field discovered in search area for missing submersible near the Titanic
A debris field was discovered within the search area for the missing Titan submersible near the Titanic wreckage site, the the US Coast Guard has said in a tweet.
The 'debris field' was found by an ROV that had been deployed to the ocean floor.
The Coast Guard said that 'experts within the unified command are evaluating the information.'

LINK

Well, I guess that's the end of that. Goddess keep them in Her arms. I guess that the banging sounds have stopped, and the search continues? @Just Chillin has an interesting theory - have they checked the actual Titanic wreck site?

"The sea lies in wait for the unwary. She stalks the reckless." Even when you do everything right, you can still get killed - even on the surface. This really sucks...

I would hope they checked on the place that they were going to see if they made it.

Reactions: Zorba
JUST IN: Debris field discovered in search area for missing submersible near the Titanic
A debris field was discovered within the search area for the missing Titan submersible near the Titanic wreckage site, the the US Coast Guard has said in a tweet.
The 'debris field' was found by an ROV that had been deployed to the ocean floor.
The Coast Guard said that 'experts within the unified command are evaluating the information.'

LINK

A "tweet". Wonderful. Still, if true, it potentially confirms everyone's worst fears. Those poor bastards...