Utah Trade Rubicon for Non Rubicon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowhunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Price
Very likely this is an idiotic idea but there’s some thought behind this… and I’m still very much on the fence which is why I don’t have an official for sale ad. Wanted to gauge the waters first…

Took me a long time to find a clean (as rust free as possible) good shape Rubicon in the South West and that’s when I found my 03.

Clean title, 119k miles, 4.0L, auto transmission, 2.75” SL, 1” BL, 1” MML, DC rear drive line, ARB front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, rear steel bumper and tire carrier, recently gone through cooling system, recently added transmission temp gauge, new pan and ATF, and good knowledgeable PO that took care of the jeep.

What I’m considering is trading mine for a non rubicon model plus the difference in value in cash to me.

Reason being is that I have a hard time really off-roading this Rubicon because it’s in great shape and I don’t want anything to happen to it which really holds me back from trying new trails/obstacles.

The jeep to me is a secondary vehicle that is mainly for off-roading so I would be looking for a rust free or close to it, good shape, well maintained wrangler with a 4.0 and auto transmission.

Feel free to ask questions here or PM, happy to answer any questions. I apologize if this isn’t allowed and Chris, feel free to remove this and I can post an official for sale ad if I do decide to go that route

IMG_2951.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
Very likely this is an idiotic idea but there’s some thought behind this… and I’m still very much on the fence which is why I don’t have an official for sale ad. Wanted to gauge the waters first…

Took me a long time to find a clean (as rust free as possible) good shape Rubicon in the South West and that’s when I found my 03.

Clean title, 119k miles, 4.0L, auto transmission, 2.75” SL, 1” BL, 1” MML, DC rear drive line, ARB front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, rear steel bumper and tire carrier, recently gone through cooling system, recently added transmission temp gauge, new pan and ATF, and good knowledgeable PO that took care of the jeep.

What I’m considering is trading mine for a non rubicon model plus the difference in value in cash to me.

Reason being is that I have a hard time really off-roading this Rubicon because it’s in great shape and I don’t want anything to happen to it which really holds me back from trying new trails/obstacles.

The jeep to me is a secondary vehicle that is mainly for off-roading so I would be looking for a rust free or close to it, good shape, well maintained wrangler with a 4.0 and auto transmission.

Feel free to ask questions here or PM, happy to answer any questions. I apologize if this isn’t allowed and Chris, feel free to remove this and I can post an official for sale ad if I do decide to go that route

View attachment 442192

So, you’re saying you want to let someone else tear it up? 🤣 😉

Last edited:
La la la la la I can’t hear you. I believe this jeep will stay in great shape forever ;)

Really, if you're going with a tire size bigger than 32" the Rubicon is not worth it. With 33+" tires you definitely need a regear and you might as well throw some lockers in there. The only thing is the 4:1, but if you've got a 42rle you can always resolve that with a rubicrawler, so for more than one reason a non-Rubicon is a better way to start. Only things you miss out on are some of the niceties like the Security Key, Compass Mirror, Cruise Control, and Console Sub. I bought one a couple years ago and flipped it.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Really, if you're going with a tire size bigger than 32" the Rubicon is not worth it. With 33+" tires you definitely need a regear and you might as well throw some lockers in there. The only thing is the 4:1, but if you've got a 42rle you can always resolve that with a rubicrawler, so for more than one reason a non-Rubicon is a better way to start. Only things you miss out on are some of the niceties like the Security Key, Compass Mirror, Cruise Control, and Console Sub. I bought one a couple years ago and flipped it.

But he’s got one he likes and has some history of how it’s been taken care of so I’d just build and wheel it, it’s just a Jeep.

Oh and my non-Rubicon has all the niceties you listed.

But he’s got one he likes and has some history of how it’s been taken care of so I’d just build and wheel it, it’s just a Jeep.

I'd keep it. I've wheeled mine hard and just take care of the dents and dings as they come. Most people don't notice anything wrong with it. My wife just saw a good dent on the hood two days ago and it happened 2 years ago. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 97TJNM and Danarch
Only things you miss out on are some of the niceties like the Security Key, Compass Mirror, Cruise Control, and Console Sub.

My X has the cruise control option, so that isn't limited to Rubicons. An auto-dimming mirror with compass/temp/homelink can be added for $100 - see my recent "how to". How much to add SKIM and Subwoofer? $300 each? They are on my to-do list.

Andy

Well this thread has officially gone side ways :ROFLMAO: We’re now debating the worth of the rubicon package. I originally thought there would be all kinds of people interested in a trading clean rubicon

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
My X has the cruise control option, so that isn't limited to Rubicons. An auto-dimming mirror with compass/temp/homelink can be added for $100 - see my recent "how to". How much to add SKIM and Subwoofer? $300 each? They are on my to-do list.

Andy

Don’t forget the 4:1 transfer case (Rubi crawler is $2100), the 44 rear and front axles with 4.10 gears, lockers and the SWEET factory “rock sliders”! @JMT can expand on how good those sliders are! Lol

Reactions: AndyA
I would entertain a trade like this if I didn’t have a Rubi and lived closer. I’m just jealous of the lack of rust! I prefer a manual trans though.
I would think you’d be able to find somebody, but would also be just as well selling yours and taking all that cash to buy a non-Rubi and start over.

That said though I also agree that you should just stick with yours … because it’s yours!

Well this thread has officially gone side ways :ROFLMAO: We’re now debating the worth of the rubicon package. I originally thought there would be all kinds of people interested in a trade clean rubicon

If you never plan to swap axles or go atlas then a Rubicon is the right choice. If you want bigger axles then what you start with is just a financial decision on what you can find or already have.

It gets easier after the first scratch/dent. Armor it up correctly, wheel it sanely, go have fun. If you want to try harder obstacles where the 4:1, front and rear lockers, and the D44s would come in handy, why would you get rid of them? After you get rid of the rubi, your next excuse would be that I would like to try that obstacle but I don't have lockers, then it would be I need a lower crawl ratio, then........... If the obstacles that you want to try don't benefit from what the rubicon offers, then you aren't going to damage it anyway.

If you want to try and make a buck off a pristine Rubicon, then do it, no one will blame you for flipping it and making money. It actually makes sense. But to premise it with I want to make a gain but it is only because it is too nice for me to utilize it for what it is designed for?

Remember the guy who came on the forum asking if he could/should get Rubicon hood decals because he had made his X a Rubicon? It came down to the sixth letter in his VIN. Nope, it’s not a Rubicon. 🤣

Remember the guy who came on the forum asking if he could/should get Rubicon hood decals because he had made his X a Rubicon? It came down to the sixth letter in his VIN. Nope, it’s not a Rubicon. 🤣

I don't recall that one. Did it pop and spit flames?

Just wheel the Rubicon man. It's a Jeep, not a super rare exotic collector car.

So far. It's a "classic" vehicle now ;), with prices for pristine examples selling for more than they did new.

Reactions: Bowhunter
Status
Not open for further replies.