Transfer case shifter

How do you remove the stock one? Do you have to pull the center console?
Yeah you just remove the console then pull the little r clip at the back of the handle. Then shift into 4LO and unhook the spring and rotate it towards the rear. Work the stock handle out. Slide the spring on the new handle and put the handle in. Re hook the spring, shift back to 2WD, put the r clip back in and re install the console. I have a 2004 console in my 98 so only had to remove the front half of the console makes it a much easier job, total install time was about 15 minutes for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DCB
That would be awesome if these shift knobs could have a photo of our face on them, haha!

Reactions: Kevin E
Mine was harder to install due to rust. There is a drain hole in the base of the little cup that the lever lives in. Mine was plugged by a dime on the hole and a quarter on top of the dime. The whole cup was badly surface rusted and the end of the lever had ground off its paint over the last 13 years, so it rusted into the rod that connects to the transfer case sector shaft (I think it's called). I had to removed the three sheet metal bolts and the Z gate bracket so I could yank it side to side with some Kroil on it to work it loose. Once that was done it was really easy to install. I really, really like this mod. Highly recommended if you dislike the TJ's "ejector seat handle" TC shift lever.
IMG_4296.jpg
IMG_4298.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg

Reactions: Blondie70 and Chris
What's under the oe shifter's plastic handle if you cut it off Wade? Is it round solid steel so it could it be threaded with a die? I have an aluminum tcase knob just itching to get threaded onto something suitable. The OE shifter length looks like it'd work better, that aftermarket shifter above is a little too long for me.

What's under the oe shifter's black handle Wade? Is it round solid steel so it could it be threaded with a die? I have an aluminum tcase knob just itching to get threaded onto something suitable. The OE shifter length looks like it'd work better, that aftermarket shifter above is a little too long for me.
I remember (pastorscott) on WF modified his stock handle to resemble this one. Don't remember the exact steps he took but I know he used a torch to heat and bend the stock one. Can't remember what he said it looked like under that handle though. The height of this one is great for me. I can reach it from 2hi without having to lean forward from my seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's under the oe shifter's plastic handle if you cut it off Wade? Is it round solid steel so it could it be threaded with a die? I have an aluminum tcase knob just itching to get threaded onto something suitable. The OE shifter length looks like it'd work better, that aftermarket shifter above is a little too long for me.

Honestly, I don't really know. I remember seeing some pics a guy took after he did that. It still point forward rather than up, though. I specifically wanted a CJ-esque straight rod and not the "ejector seat handle" that DC opted to put into our TJs.

I own a musical instrument repair shop (lots of oxy-acetylene brazing and soldering, fabrication in brass, downdraft lacquering booth, etc.) and I have learned to never cut up parts but to use or make replacements. I plan on refinishing my OS TC shift lever, bagging it and storing it in my big closet of jeep take-offs. That way nothing I do to a horn (or my vehicles) is irreversible. ;)

Regarding the length, it is actually pretty short once the console is installed.

Reactions: Chris
Big Sarge was kind enough to provide me with a link to Pastorscott's thread. Basically Pastorscott cut the OE handle off and welded a bolt on in its place that gives the right thread size for a different handle to thread onto. That's now on my to do list.

Yeah, I considered that, but

1. I don't weld
2. I don't want to chop up the OE handle

I am very good at threading using my mill or drill press, so I *could* have done the alternative to that, which was to pilot and tap the rod stump and then cut down and thread an extension.

But I am lazy. HAHAHA!!!

Will this shifter eliminate the need for me to buy the bracket to (transfer relocation) when i buy a body lift? or will I also need the relocation bracket as well? Hope i explained myself well enough? If I need a transfer relocation shifter, what does everyone recommend?

It looks like with a body lift you might be able to just grind/file the lever gate at the ends to allow the full stroke.

i definitely like this mod. Puts the lever back closer to the original CJ2 location. Way better erignomics.

Reactions: Big Sarge
Spoke with the maker, He states I will still need the relocation kit to mount to transfer. Sooooo, Has anyone installed the cable and bracket kit to relocate the shifter of the floor to the transfer? I know i have seen them, If i recall it was a cable and bracket to mount to the transfer. Any ideas where i can get this kit?

Spoke with the maker, He states I will still need the relocation kit to mount to transfer. Sooooo, Has anyone installed the cable and bracket kit to relocate the shifter of the floor to the transfer? I know i have seen them, If i recall it was a cable and bracket to mount to the transfer. Any ideas where i can get this kit?

If you have the NP231J transfer case then this is what I used:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2x/sk2xc/

If you have a rubicon you would need a different kit from them for the NP241OR in that TJ.

image.jpg
Here's mine, just installed it this morning, only took about 10 minutes from start to finish. I'd agree with jerry that it could be a little shorter, but I'm not gonna complain, I had the extra shift nob sitting in my garage and needed to make use of it. Very happy with this product.

Here's mine, with an old school CJ shift knob on the end. I installed it about 6 months ago and I find it to be just the right length. My hand just drops naturally onto it when I reach for it, although it would be easy to shorten it for those who think it's too long.

193_zpsfufa8vef.jpg