Transfer case shifter

I got mine (2, actually) on Ebay. The link to Ebay from my install posts no longer works, though, and a search may still turn up another seller.

You can see pics and details on my install of the TC shifter handle and knob on page 5 of the thread in my signature below.
Thanks, I'll keep trying on eBay.

There's plenty of used oem handles on Ebay if you want to try the cut & weld method. I still have the extra ball I didn't use sitting on the shelf...

Reactions: gottifour
There's plenty of used oem handles on Ebay if you want to try the cut & weld method. I still have the extra ball I didn't use sitting on the shelf...
I don't currently own a welding rig. I could probably get a friend to do it though.

I thought maybe they were available somewhere else or perhaps people were using one from a different vehicle.

If I do end up finding or fabricating one I'll post it here! 👍

Did the same shifter change. Love it

4888C321-7A9A-433B-BB83-964CE8886497.jpeg

A4401B15-B667-472D-847E-DC879E244677.jpeg

FFBA63E1-EBA7-4453-9140-816FDB795E5D.jpeg

On eBay
the guy only built a few of them

eBay

Ok, I assumed since your post was recent maybe they were available again.

I actually posted on a couple of *ahem* other forums asking for this exact thing but no one knew anything. Shame, 'cause at that time they were probably still available.

well it looks like I may have to tackle it on my own...heat it up in a bench vise, bend it, throw it in some oil to quench it, find a machine shop to put threads on. Just need to find a torch more capable than my little propane one.

I actually posted on a couple of *ahem* other forums asking for this exact thing but no one knew anything. Shame, 'cause at that time they were probably still available.

well it looks like I may have to tackle it on my own...heat it up in a bench vise, bend it, throw it in some oil to quench it, find a machine shop to put threads on. Just need to find a torch more capable than my little propane one.
I went to the junk yard and got me a shift-stick from another Jeep that is the same as the one in my TJ. Cut it. Found the best angle and welded it to my transfer case shifter. Look at my pictures and hopefully it makes sense.

20191005_111134.jpg

20191006_081420.jpg

20191006_083003.jpg

20191007_160236.jpg

20191007_155902.jpg

Reactions: NDSpeed

I wonder if another vehicles shifter would work in it's place it if I should just buy a welder and learn..

I wonder if another vehicles shifter would work in it's place it if I should just buy a welder and learn..
A local welder was going to do it for me for $30. I have a friend that is an amateur welder and wanted to practice, so he offered to do it for free. I let him and it came out good. Find a local welder or a person that is learning to weld...unless you want to learn the skills of course.

A local welder was going to do it for me for $30. I have a friend that is an amateur welder and wanted to practice, so he offered to do it for free. I let him and it came out good. Find a local welder or a person that is learning to weld...unless you want to learn the skills of course.

Could take that route, too. I have a harbor freight flux core welder I was going to use to learn with. It's been sitting in my garage since last Father's Day. Just don't have a 20A circuit to run it off of, and I don't want to install one until I get out of this rental in March.

Could take that route, too. I have a harbor freight flux core welder I was going to use to learn with. It's been sitting in my garage since last Father's Day. Just don't have a 20A circuit to run it off of, and I don't want to install one until I get out of this rental in March.
Sounds like a good learning experience! Would like to do the same.

Reactions: Byhumba
I have the same welder. I have zero training or experience with welding. Just a little common sense & have done my share of reading & Youtubing on the subject. If your not going to use gas, get some "tip dip". It seems to help keep the tip clean & not splatter everywhere. Get some welding gloves & an apron. Read up on the safety aspect of it. Like WEAR SHOES!!

I also found that all welding wire is not the same. The cheap HF stuff is garbage. I had a lot better success with some good Lincoln Electric wire.

And be reasonable about your limits. I've made repairs on patio furniture, built a surfboard rack for my pickup, added light tabs to a bumper, etc. I am not so stupid to be building suspension parts and have my 3k lb Jeep jumping & landing on it. Building a shifter would be a great first project. Just test it out good when your done.

Reactions: Byhumba
I have the same welder. I have zero training or experience with welding. Just a little common sense & have done my share of reading & Youtubing on the subject. If your not going to use gas, get some "tip dip". It seems to help keep the tip clean & not splatter everywhere. Get some welding gloves & an apron. Read up on the safety aspect of it. Like WEAR SHOES!!

I also found that all welding wire is not the same. The cheap HF stuff is garbage. I had a lot better success with some good Lincoln Electric wire.

That's what I hear about the HF wire. I'll check out the tip dip (a term guaranteed to get a giggle out of my wife).

For someone who's never struck an arc, I'm surprisingly prepared for it. I've worked around welding for 14 years including 4 in the largest producer of welded ASME pressure vessels west of the Mississippi where I sat across the aisle from one of the most experienced welding engineers there. Finally got tired of it being something that I knew enough to talk about but couldn't actually do.

Reactions: Airjunky
View attachment 2846 While I still had a manual this was my shifter knob. Can't figure out how to make the push button lock out work on the new tranny. This is the cyclic control head off the last bird I flew in Viet Nam.

The way you guys made mission in Vietnam is crazy. I was doing overhead security during an exfil of black hawks while they sat on the ground re-computing their performance cards. With vehicles approaching!!!!

that was probably the most intense exfil I covered that didn’t ’t turn out to be anything. Just circling overhead questioning why they were just sitting there all exposed like that.

Reactions: Blondie70
I love my rock knobs. But Man do they ever get cold in the winter.
LOL. Oh really?! I'm sorry I am about to sound like I am rubbing it...I have not experienced that here in SoCAL. I didn't realize that they can get cold (which makes a lot of sense) until I read your post.

Reactions: Blondie70