Transfer case spitting fluid and vibrations with Savvy skid plate

Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have the savvy installed by po. My driveshaft angle is so out of whack, I called savvy today to see if they had any kind of special spacer that I could use and the guy at savvy got mad at me before I even finish my question. But bottom line is I have all kinds of vibrations and now T case fluid everywhere on the underside of my tub.

31810A79-DBCC-4E6A-963A-8995665D40A6.jpeg

B0F25415-B7DC-48C5-BF8F-B655D229385E.jpeg

Chris you always shed some good light. I have the savvy installed by po. My driveshaft angle is so out of whack, I called savvy today to see if they had any kind of special spacer that I could use and the guy at savvy got mad at me before I even finish my question. But bottom line is I have all kinds of vibrations and now T case fluid everywhere on the underside of my tub.

View attachment 216541

View attachment 216542
Your driveshaft angle looks just fine to me. This should have nothing to do with your transfer case spitting fluid. It sounds like you need to drop the skid and inspect the transfer case first to see what’s going on.

Also, what do you need a spacer for?

Reactions: Forty
Chris you always shed some good light. I have the savvy installed by po. My driveshaft angle is so out of whack, I called savvy today to see if they had any kind of special spacer that I could use and the guy at savvy got mad at me before I even finish my question. But bottom line is I have all kinds of vibrations and now T case fluid everywhere on the underside of my tub.

View attachment 216541

View attachment 216542

A spacer for what?

Reactions: Chris
Your driveshaft angle looks just fine to me. This should have nothing to do with your transfer case spitting fluid. It sounds like you need to drop the skid and inspect the transfer case first to see what’s going on.

Also, what do you need a spacer for?
There’s no more adjustment left on my lower control arms as you can see in the picture and I’m still getting horrible vibration

A spacer for what?
I’m still getting horrible vibration, my lower control arms Are all the way in so there’s no more room left for adjustment. At this point I just don’t know what to do anymore

There’s no more adjustment left on my lower control arms as you can see in the picture and I’m still getting horrible vibration
What arms are those? Is your rear axle centered under the vehicle so that when you cycle the suspension the lower spring perch is centered with the jounce bumper?

Did these vibrations recently or have they been there since you purchased the vehicle?

What arms are those? Is your rear axle centered under the vehicle so that when you cycle the suspension the lower spring perch is centered with the jounce bumper?

Did these vibrations recently or have they been there since you purchased the vehicle?
They have always been there, it’s a rough country X 4” lift. The axle is centered

They have always been there, it’s a rough country X 4” lift. The axle is centered

Centered at full bump or at ride height?

Did you fully cycle the axle without springs in place?

Do the vibes go away with the rear shaft removed?

Reactions: Chris
Also, you never answered the question:

Is your rear axle centered at full bump or at ride height?

I have the savvy installed by po. My driveshaft angle is so out of whack, I called savvy today to see if they had any kind of special spacer that I could use and the guy at savvy got mad at me before I even finish my question. But bottom line is I have all kinds of vibrations and now T case fluid everywhere on the underside of my tub.

View attachment 216541

View attachment 216542
Your parking brake is fucked.
You have way too much lift height, find out why.
We need a good picture of the upper rear control arms.
The main skid is cracked at the welds from all the vibes it has.
The belly skid wings are missing the three bolts that hold them to the frame.
A pic from the back would show if those shock extenders are fucking you.
The Savvy bits should have been painted before installation.
You need to get under there and try to see where the t-case fluid is coming from. The good news is it is helping with the rust so you may want to just keep adding fluid now and then.
What spacer would Savvy possibly have?

Reactions: Forty and Chris
As MrBlaine points out, without those 3 bolts to the frame (6 total) you basically have the trans/transfer just hanging unsupported. Of course this will cause problems. I'm surprised it let's you get to 60 before a vibe. Get a jack under the tranny and support it. Then pull the skid off and check everything. Who knows what the PO did down there. Make sure to pull off the trans mount and inspect it. You often can't tell with it still attached to the trans. Replace if needed. Rubber mounts best control vibrations. Find the transfer leak. It could be the output seal from the drive shaft flailing from lack of skid support. If anything you might have the axle pinion a degree or two high. Won't know until you get everything around the skidplate corrected.
There is also a fair chance that the engine mounts are wiped out from having everything hanging behind them.
Do Everything MrBlaine tells you to. He can see more in a dark photo than damn near anyone else can see standing right next to the Jeep.
Good luck. A TJ is one of the easiest machines to get from F.U.B.A.R. to great.👍

As MrBlaine points out, without those 3 bolts to the frame (6 total) you basically have the trans/transfer just hanging unsupported. Of course this will cause problems.
You can remove the wings and the crossmember will still be supporting the trans. That's beauty I designed into it.

I'm surprised it let's you get to 60 before a vibe. Get a jack under the tranny and support it. Then pull the skid off and check everything. Who knows what the PO did down there. Make sure to pull off the trans mount and inspect it. You often can't tell with it still attached to the trans. Replace if needed. Rubber mounts best control vibrations. Find the transfer leak. It could be the output seal from the drive shaft flailing from lack of skid support. If anything you might have the axle pinion a degree or two high. Won't know until you get everything around the skidplate corrected.
There is also a fair chance that the engine mounts are wiped out from having everything hanging behind them.

Reactions: fuse and Chris
Damn, I missed that crack until I zoomed in. Gotta love previous owner fuckery.

X2 and it could be your front driveshaft giving you vibes, remove it and go for a drive and see what happens to the vibes

Reactions: HardSell and Forty
Also, you never answered the question:

Is your rear axle centered at full bump or at ride height?

I did not check that yet. I had the front end adjusted today and there is no more vibration. Attached is the picture of the specs that it was taken to

BC836324-DE3B-4D6F-A784-DB0C65B4D9B9.jpeg