JP13

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for recommendations for transmission cooler + temp gauge.
Thanks.

2005 LJ 4.0 Automatic

@Jay

Hands down, the best transmission cooler (and an absolute must have) for the Jeep Wrangler TJ is the Derale, which you can find here:
Derale 20561 Jeep Wrangler TJ Direct Fit Automatic Transmission Cooler

There's also a write-up that @Jerry Bransford did a while back, which can be found here:
How to install a Derale 20561 transmission cooler on your Wrangler TJ

That transmission cooler is made specifically or the TJ. Read the reviews on Amazon (and ask anyone who has it, myself included), and they'll have nothing but praise for it. Definitely a must have mod if you wheel your TJ and happen to have an auto tranny.

Reactions: Apparition
Thanks for the recommendation. I noticed that's twice as expensive as similar remote coolers. Why is that cooler better than others? Trying to justify the price.

Thanks for the recommendation. I noticed that's twice as expensive as similar remote coolers. Why is that cooler better than others? Trying to justify the price.
It's a complete ready-to-install kit with all the parts required and specifically designed for a Wrangler. Thermostat switch, electric fan, cooler, AN coolant fittings, hose, mounting bracket, hardware, etc.

Did you read the installation writeup Chris included in his post?

It's a complete ready-to-install kit with all the parts required and specifically designed for a Wrangler. Thermostat switch, electric fan, cooler, AN coolant fittings, hose, mounting bracket, hardware, etc.

Did you read the installation writeup Chris included in his post?

Yeah, it's very detailed. Great write up.

Why does this one mount at the tranny instead of in front of the radiator?

Yeah, it's very detailed. Great write up.

Why does this one mount at the tranny instead of in front of the radiator?
Easier to install and the cooler with fan is too deep to mount between the grill and radiator support bars
CIMG4173.jpg

3 more questions:

Could it get caked in mud at that location and cause problems?

Does the location interfere with armor or maintenance access?

What is the airspeed velocity of a swallow ladened with the Derale 20561 remote transmission cooler?

Reactions: Chris
Mud can clog anything including the big radiator up front. The cooler's mounting location hasn't interfered with any of my armor including my full engine skid that replaced the OE tcase skidplate.

So far as the airspeed of a swallow ladened with the cooler, that's easily calculated in a few seconds...

25401x7.gif

:eek::D

I asked this question before but possibly in the wrong place.

I am unable to see the pictures in mr. Bransford's excellent installation write up. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? I'm trying to view these pics on an iPad, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

I asked this question before but possibly in the wrong place.

I am unable to see the pictures in mr. Bransford's excellent installation write up. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? I'm trying to view these pics on an iPad, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

No worries. If you can't see the photos it's either one of a few things:

1) You're using the Tapatalk app which doesn't use the forum native technology, and therefore might be causing the images not to work.
2) You're using an AdBlocker that's causing images not to load (even though there's no ads on this forum, sometimes an AdBlocker can mistake inline images for ads, and therefore block them).

Make sure none of those two things are happening, because the images work just fine for me on my iPad.

3 more questions:

Could it get caked in mud at that location and cause problems?

Does the location interfere with armor or maintenance access?

Jerry is right, mud can clog anything, including your radiator up front. I've never had any issues whatsoever with the mud clogging my Derale transmission cooler though.

Also, it doesn't interfere with maintenance access at all. It's a very nifty unit that was very, very well designed. Anyone who has an automatic should undoubtedly be running one of these, seriously. You'll prolong the life of your transmission for sure.

Reactions: JP13
The photos in my Derale transmission cooler thread don't show up here for me either on my desktop or Android phone.

The photos in my Derale transmission cooler thread don't show up here for me either on my desktop or Android phone.

That's strange, they're not working for me either. I thought we were talking about the photos in this thread. Let me look into that other thread and find out what's up with those images not working.