Trick for Removing Steering Stabilizer Tapered Bolt

So I ignorantly ignored the many threads on about how to not hit the bolt (as it will mushroom) and to whack the side of the tie-arm to pop the bolt free. Of course I just hit the bolt thinking it'll pop right out....not a chance :(

So after torch heating, banging with heavy hammer and trying everything I could think of doing...it wouldn't budge. Then I found a youtube video with a guy ("Jeep Pickle") showing his "tip" for removal...using a tie-rod removeal tool. IT WORKED GREAT! So I'd thought I share his video and my pics.

PS I would still heat up the bolt as it no doubt still makes it easier to remove.

View attachment 85072

View attachment 85078

I have always used this method with a nut on the end of the threaded tapered bolt. Leave approx. 1/2 of the nut exposed so the pointed end of the puller can center itself. That keeps the puller rod centered. Load up the puller until you can't apply any more force and soak with Kroil. Let sit for about ten minutes and whack the puller with a small sledge. The nut also keeps the tapered rod from flying. When you put the new tapered rod back in clean the hole with a wire brush and a bit of fine emery. Coat taper with Never Seize and re-assemble. Several years down the road, when you need to change this again, you'll be thankful you took these extra steps.

Another Hazard Fraught pitman puller success story. Tightened it up, had to stop because it was trying to rain, so while I was rolling up the windows on the Jeep, I heard a "pop!", and the darn thing had come loose. Beating on previously it with a BFH did no good whatsoever, but the pitman tool did it right away. Thank Goddess I'm close to a Harbor Freight store, grabbed a 20% off coupon out of the nearest gun rag, and went down and grabbed one.

Now the new stabilizer has a bushing on the other end that is about 100 mils too wide/long, and I can see where "the last guy" had ground the bushing down on the old stabilizer, which just happens to be the same brand (Monroe) as the new one, so I'll be grinding this one down as well. Then on with the Never-Seize which "the last guy" neglected to use and in it goes.

Another easy way is to use a pickle fork. Bang it in there. 5-6 good hits and the tapered bolt will break free.
1621088886153.jpeg

Reactions: Zorba