Trouble Starting

It sounds like the starter is engaging and then disengaging the flywheel to me. Is the serpentine belt spinning the entire time you are cranking?
I think you are onto something. What does this mean?

No problem (y)
Pressure tested the fuel this evening. I hooked up the gauge and the pressure was at 0, this was after it sat for a week. After cycling the key it jumped up to 20psi, cycled it again it jumped to 50 psi. At dinner and checked 2hrs later and the gauge read 38.

Forgot to mention it started first crank. This was after I cycled the key 2 hours prior. Couldn’t get it to turn start again.

You sir need a new starter. The starter spins to crank the engine but also extends to engage the flywheel. It is momentarily extending but then retracting which is why the engine stops turning over even though you can still hear the starter spinning.

Reactions: Chris
Hey man, hang on here, this @ sign will notify some experienced guys like @Jerry Bransford and @Chris .

Remember Fuel, fire and compression....it's got to have all 3 and it's got compression likely.

Also , you are a whole lot taller than the girl in the picture, or standing on a rock. Or she's like real short. That may somehow have something to do with it ..can her feet reach the gas pedal?

I've met @Landon when he sold me a sway bar. He really is that tall and a super nice guy

Reactions: Landon and AndyG
He would enjoy some seat risers possibly.. or some of the seat relocation brackets.
What I would truly enjoy is my seat to sit 3-4” lower. My head is dangerously close to the roll bar. And the big boy brackets that give me the extra leg room raised my seat.

Reactions: Chris
You sir need a new starter. The starter spins to crank the engine but also extends to engage the flywheel. It is momentarily extending but then retracting which is why the engine stops turning over even though you can still hear the starter spinning.
Thanks for the help diagnosing the issue. The starter looks like an easy replacement. Any preferred brands or ones to stay away from? I also see remans offered with warranty.

What I would truly enjoy is my seat to sit 3-4” lower. My head is dangerously close to the roll bar. And the big boy brackets that give me the extra leg room raised my seat.
There are some seat relocation brackets and I think what you're going to find is the seat goes down as it goes back ...I can't swear to that... But we've had some pretty lanky guys that were happy with that setup.

It would be worth checking into...from your picture it looks like you and your wife like to get out and do things outdoors... A TJ can take you anywhere you want to go.. and get you back.

Replaced the starter tonight. The old one looked pretty grimy. Jeep started right up with the new one in. Thanks for the help.
7B08AAEC-0B4D-4D2A-B411-DD5E45EF4D2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Replaced the starter tonight. The old looked pretty grimy. Jeep started right up with the new one in. Thanks for help.View attachment 202672
Awesome. Stick around... If you have a TJ this forum is an asset.

Thank you for posting what solved the problem...When you learn it adds to the collective knowledge base for all of us... That helps us to help ourselves and others.

These are tough little vehicles... About as simple as anything you will find with modern features.

Good job.