Trouble Starting

Landon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago and the Jeep would start right up. This past week its been parked in the garage because it won't start. I have fuel pressure up at the engine so I don't think it's a fuel line or pump issue. I can hear the new pump start up when key is in ignition. I filmed me trying to start it up... I'm hoping someone here can help me diagnose the issue from the video audio. Thanks in advance.

Hey man, hang on here, this @ sign will notify some experienced guys like @Jerry Bransford and @Chris .

Remember Fuel, fire and compression....it's got to have all 3 and it's got compression likely.

Also , you are a whole lot taller than the girl in the picture, or standing on a rock. Or she's like real short. That may somehow have something to do with it ..can her feet reach the gas pedal?

What is the fuel pressure at the rail reading?

And, after sitting overnight?

Pressure does not equal flow. Even at a drop per minute, eventually pressure will equalize (against a closed point) but the flow will still only be a drop per minute

I suspect you may have goofed up the pump install and will probably have to drop the tank again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

Pressure does not equal flow. Even at a drop per minute, eventually pressure will equalize (against a closed point) but the flow will still only be a drop per minute

I suspect you may have goofed up the pump install and will probably have to stop the tank again.

Yep, this is what I was thinking as well.

After replacing my fuel pump with garbage from auto parts store twice, I read to buy an oem bosch unit. Which I only found at Napa and they got $450 from me for it. But it's been 2 years and I haven't had any more issues. In hind site I probably could have bought only the pump and not the entire unit but such is life. Course second time dropping it I broke the rollover valve...which lead to a hole nother search and buying another tank off eBay...you get it figured out.

I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago and the Jeep would start right up. This past week its been parked in the garage because it won't start. I have fuel pressure up at the engine so I don't think it's a fuel line or pump issue. I can hear the new pump start up when key is in ignition. I filmed me trying to start it up... I'm hoping someone here can help me diagnose the issue from the video audio. Thanks in advance.

You do not mention the brand of fuel pump installed, what did you get.

Could be totally misguided by the video but it sounds like the engine crank over then the starter bendix disengages from the flywheel. Are you sure the engine is continuing to turn over throughout the cranking process?

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
Also , you are a whole lot taller than the girl in the picture, or standing on a rock. Or she's like real short. That may somehow have something to do with it ..can her feet reach the gas pedal?
I am 17" taller than my wife!

After replacing my fuel pump with garbage from auto parts store twice, I read to buy an oem bosch unit. Which I only found at Napa and they got $450 from me for it. But it's been 2 years and I haven't had any more issues. In hind site I probably could have bought only the pump and not the entire unit but such is life. Course second time dropping it I broke the rollover valve...which lead to a hole nother search and buying another tank off eBay...you get it figured out.
I couldn't find a bosch unit so I bought a Delphi FG1353 which was recommended in the following thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fuel-pump-issue.42363/#post-705675

I suspect you may have goofed up the pump install and will probably have to drop the tank again.
I have a full tank... I certainly hope not.

It sounds like the starter is engaging and then disengaging the flywheel to me. Is the serpentine belt spinning the entire time you are cranking?

Reactions: Landon
I am 17" taller than my wife!
This reminds me of a joke..

This man was with his wife and he was commenting on how tall women were so attractive and she was very petite... She said well why did you marry me... He said Oh I thought you'd grow.

Let us know if you have any luck getting your TJ going.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Hog