Trouble with lock cylinder

Lambo_TJ

I’m trying to replace my ignition actuator pin on my 2003 TJ I6 4.0L but can’t for the life of me seem to find any information on how to remove my lock cylinder. I know that for most Jeeps it seems to be super easy, just put your key in “run” position and press the little release button. Mine doesn’t have a release button in sight. I also can’t find anything like a set screw or any other logical way to release it. I’m hoping I don’t have to take apart my whole steering column to get to it because that seems intimidating.

There are a couple of hole-looking things, one on top and one on bottom of cylinder, but there is just solid metal behind those. No buttons. I really hope somebody can help with some info here.

18C87EDC-9FF3-472F-B9B6-42BD4164624A.jpeg

E87ADA8A-0A4E-4B7B-BBB4-B31EC08D0582.jpeg

hopefully this bump will get some new eyes on it! Still can’t figure out how to get the cylinder out. Any insight would be very appreciated.

Definitely doesn’t look like the xj, tj, wj cylinders from that era I have played with, any better photos

Did you ever get this figured out?

Just curious as to if you did and what it was.

No, still haven’t figured it out. It must be some sort of aftermarket cylinder 🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it crazy hard to take the steering column apart and try to get to it from the inside?

It’s pretty easy to remove. A pinch bolt on the shaft, 4 bolts (I think) holding the column on, some electrical connectors under the column cover and the shift/brake interlock cable thing if you have an auto transmission. Don’t turn the steering wheel while it’s off so it doesn’t mess up the clock springs for the air bag.

In this post I made about changing my heater core, there is some info on taking the column off with tips for the interlock cable and the column pinch bolt.

Mine is an ‘06 LJ, btw.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-heater-core-replacement-and-a-c-evap-core.15568/

Last edited:
It’s pretty easy to remove. A pinch bolt on the shaft, 4 bolts (I think) holding the column on, some electrical connectors under the column cover and the shift/brake interlock cable thing if you have an auto transmission. Don’t turn the steering wheel while it’s off so it doesn’t mess up the clock springs for the air bag.

In this post I made about changing my heater core, there is some info on taking the column off with tips for the interlock cable and the column pinch bolt.

Mine is an ‘06 LJ, btw.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/another-heater-core-replacement-and-a-c-evap-core.15568/

Thank you! I’ll try getting in there soon to see if I can access it. I mean there’s got to be a way, right? I just can’t see myself paying $600 for such a small part replacement.

I would think there would be a way. Hopefully if you get it out you'll see an easy way. I'm curious to find out what it is. I keep thinking it some some of security feature given the size and bulk of it.

Oh, in your 2nd pictures, I think that squarish yellow connector is your Brake Transmission Shift Interlock cable. Did you disconnect that or has it always been like that? The reason I ask is that in you pic it looks like that area it goes into isn't there.

2 - Copy_LI.jpg

3 - Copy_LI.jpg

5 - Copy_LI.jpg