Turbo Kit Test TJ

Stock vs turbo

TurbovsNARuns.jpg

cough cough... Don't mind me imma just add an extra 100hp and an extra 100 lb-ft at the wheels - no Bigee, almost doubling the power.

Also curious to see reliability and extra stress on the engine, I would love to have one but I would imagine my 280,000mile motor wouldn't be to happy with me if I tried?

Any concerns with extra heat? especially down here in Dallas, negative effect on the A/C efficiency (Condenser no longer in the front) or other drawbacks from a DD position?

I don't think there is a turbo that is efficient at 6-7 psi. I have looked at a lot of maps and it seems that efficiency doesn't start getting good until 20 psi. Bottom line is the significant power gain.

Nice. I'd imagine it is nice to drive and the power on the freeway is good?
Any notable concerns or issues? Can someone with a 150,000 mile rig slap a kit on and be OK? What would you recommend someone do to their rig prior to installing a turbo kit?

I'm going to try and do a freeway driving video. It is not as easy as it sounds, as the background noise is appalling when going over 40 or so. This TJ has over 200k on it and it is running fine. Obviously putting more pressure on a tired engine is more risky that a fresh engine. My other TJ has almost 180k on it and has been turbo for over a year. I am pushing that one a bit harder making over 300 whp. I would defiantly do a compression test and a oil pan inspection on any engine I planned on putting a turbo on. Also a good tune up and check things like the fuel pump and cooling system.

cough cough... Don't mind me imma just add an extra 100hp and an extra 100 lb-ft at the wheels - no Bigee, almost doubling the power.

Also curious to see reliability and extra stress on the engine, I would love to have one but I would imagine my 280,000mile motor wouldn't be to happy with me if I tried?

Any concerns with extra heat? especially down here in Dallas, negative effect on the A/C efficiency (Condenser no longer in the front) or other drawbacks from a DD position?

A good cooling system is a must. If you are already having cooling issues a turbo is not going to improve the situation. My silver TJ runs up and down the Bush at 80 with the A/C on full blast with no issues. The TJ actually has decent cooling reserve if things are all working as they should.

Obviously not even remotely close to the efficiency island of that turbo. How far you going to push it? And this will get the stroker down the road, right? I love dyno numbers!

That is probably it for this shippable kit. It has an external wastegate, so it would not be difficult to turn up the boost. Also each kit will come with the manufacturer supplied wastegate replacement springs. The spring installed right now is a 8 psi, and we were seeing between 7-8 psi at the manifold. Realistically with proper tuning you could probably run the 10 psi spring and make closer to 275.

I don't think there is a turbo that is efficient at 6-7 psi. I have looked at a lot of maps and it seems that efficiency doesn't start getting good until 20 psi. Bottom line is the significant power gain.

There are defiantly other turbo options that are more efficient than this one at lower boost levels. I was concerned about backpressure and overall efficiency in and out of boost.

That is probably it for this shippable kit. It has an external wastegate, so it would not be difficult to turn up the boost. Also each kit will come with the manufacturer supplied wastegate replacement springs. The spring installed right now is a 8 psi, and we were seeing between 7-8 psi at the manifold. Realistically with proper tuning you could probably run the 10 psi spring and make closer to 275.

Your layout in the engine bay is perfect. It is very similar to what I was planning but you definitely have some better ideas than some of mine. I like your intercooler better than the ones I found for sure, the 90 degree inlet/outlet is perfect for that location.

What were people paying for the banks kit? Wasn't it something like 4K and then another 2K if you added the A2W? And the only Super Charger Kits available right now that I know of are 5-7K. I think your average person that still owns a TJ 17 years later is willing to spend the extra dough for a quality product, however your average TJ owner probably isn't looking into forced induction. There is definitely a demand with those of us who want the power but are unable or unwilling to do a V8 swap, and most of us see the shortcomings of the current available options for forced induction.

One more question. The little reservoir on the firewall just to the right of the intercooler, is that your fill point for the A2W system?

I lied when I said one more question because I almost immediately thought of another. And this is mostly my lack of knowledge with turbos. Why did you choose an external wastegate vs internal? I know external can be better in high boost applications, but I would think in the psi ranges we are looking at on our tired old 4.0s the internal would have the advantage simply due to saving a little space under the hood and a little less complexity for your average end user.

And to be clear, I totally get the reasons for going bigger on the turbo and not turning the wick up as much for a production unit. Makes perfect sense from several angles. I was just saying I can't wait for Jezza to turn it up to 11 (not psi) and see what happens 🤘

Your layout in the engine bay is perfect. It is very similar to what I was planning but you definitely have some better ideas than some of mine. I like your intercooler better than the ones I found for sure, the 90 degree inlet/outlet is perfect for that location.

What were people paying for the banks kit? Wasn't it something like 4K and then another 2K if you added the A2W? And the only Super Charger Kits available right now that I know of are 5-7K. I think your average person that still owns a TJ 17 years later is willing to spend the extra dough for a quality product, however your average TJ owner probably isn't looking into forced induction. There is definitely a demand with those of us who want the power but are unable or unwilling to do a V8 swap, and most of us see the shortcomings of the current available options for forced induction.

One more question. The little reservoir on the firewall just to the right of the intercooler, is that your fill point for the A2W system?

The reservoir is for the air to water.

Reactions: Wildman
I lied when I said one more question because I almost immediately thought of another. And this is mostly my lack of knowledge with turbos. Why did you choose an external wastegate vs internal? I know external can be better in high boost applications, but I would think in the psi ranges we are looking at on our tired old 4.0s the internal would have the advantage simply due to saving a little space under the hood and a little less complexity for your average end user.

An internal wastegate would definitely have worked. The problem with them is they usually have higher preset boost pressures. Also packaging can be an issue as the diaphragm and swing valve are clocked in a set position.

Reactions: Wildman

How efficient does it need to be? They may not be at peak efficiency there but they aren't terrible. Plus less pressure is less heat so lower efficiency is less of a problem than at high boost.

Low boost does call for a relatively large compressor. Random example but the shape is typical:
1659747338791.png

I picked 2 points just above 70%. Area #1 is good for ~325hp at 24psi, area 2 is good for 140hp at 6psi.

When people say "this turbo can support x psi" they're usually talking high pressures. To be efficient at low pressures and the same flow you need a much bigger compressor.

Brilliant thread.

I don't suppose you know if the layout differences for a right hand drive mean your packaging is blown of the water? My guess is shipping and taxes would make this a tough call to import, but...