Tweaked coil spring from upper rear shock collapsing

loco1122

Hello, I was replacing my tires and I realized my rear shock the upper connection collapsed due to old age and rust. I am going to fix it I am just waiting on a the terflex upper bolt kit to replace the system. I purchased new shocks, however from me driving like a jackass and abusing the thing without knowing it was off I managed to push the springs back, I looked at a buddy tj and the spring is directly over the circle cup on the top and are straight, mine are squeezing and are bulgine almost off . My question is when I am replacing the rear shocks . Should I lift the rear and put it on jack stands and play around with the coil spring or do I have to remove the little retainer clip? first any guidance will be helpful on how to fix. it when doing my rear shocks. I don't have the money to buy a new coil spring atm. Are mine fine for a couple months? How should I realign my rear coil spring to the right position . I have to go to school tuesday and thursday should i not drive it?? I only have one shock on the back I was babying it going very slow but I NEED HELP PLEASE WITH THE COIL SPRING I have all the toools I just need guidance pleasee thank you???

Man My rear looks so old an janky its a 2003 I need fucking new everything its so old bushing on everything are dried out anyway that's what i got

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

Is it tweaked? I'm not sure I see it in the photos. Other than the shock having broken off, the spring looks okay to me (unless I'm missing something).

The coil spring on top isn't center with the cup its bulging off and the spring is slanted is that just do to my rear shock being disconnected. How should i re postion in playing around moving it ??

The top of the coil is pushed back causing the tension to be squeezing outward , How would I relieve the tension and re allign it to the center. Do I just have to jack it up and play with it??

IMG_2349.JPG

Yep, jack that side up to relieve the spring's tension and pop it back in place. As far as your broken upper shock. spray some penetrating lube on those 2 bolts and remove them. That will release the broken left over pieces of the upper shock bar pin.

Could I last to drive a couple more days I haven't received my parts I have to go to school or don't risk it as it can pop the entire spring out??

Jack it up from the frame so that the weight of jeep is relieved from the spring. I would advise against driving very far or fast without a shock back in place.

Im with @Chris, I dont see anything out of the ordinary? A broken bar pin is all. Coils are going to be bowed with any amount of lift. Also, the coil being slightly off center isnt going to cause any issues. Hell even the bow in the spring isnt hurting anything.

Reactions: jjvw and Chris
Somebody needed bump stop extensions.

The coils are fine, though. It didn't move and there is nowhere for it to go.