Tweezer's 2004 LJ

Just an awesome early fall Saturday in southwest Ohio. Went for a long drive on some winding backroads. The Jeep rides so nicely and I can't really believe the difference since the regear. It's so much more fun to drive. Anyway, stopped at a nature preserve for some hiking in the woods and grabbed some pictures against a decent fall backdrop. The place was empty and we had the trails to ourselves too. Just an amazing afternoon.

View attachment 461807

View attachment 461808

View attachment 461809

The rig looks awesome, Tweez. Great to see you enjoying it.

Would you like for me to suggest your next mod?

😀

I've noticed a slight gear oil smell after long rides but no leaks identified. Drove the Jeep to the in-laws this weekend for my MILs birthday, which required about a 30 minute highway drive. After the Jeep sat for a bit I noticed a small spot under the left rear corner panel, which was definitely gear oil. My former mechanic BIL and I took a look and determined the oil was leaking from the rear differential breather hose. A quick search on the forum (thanks @g.hayduke) and it looks like either the differential was overfilled (unlikely since it's been a few months) or the installer didn't create the necessary slot in the axle tube when installing the ARB air locker. Jeep is going to the shop next week to have Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks installed and I asked to have them investigate. I am glad to know the root cause but annoyed if it's the lack of the slot, which is clearly in the instructions. I am not taking it back to the original installer, as I am more confident in the new shop. I am guessing the highway drive created enough pressure to spit out enough oil for it to result in a small puddle? I haven't had it on the highway for more than a few miles since the gears, lockers, axles were installed. Annoying.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I've noticed a slight gear oil smell after long rides but no leaks identified. Drove the Jeep to the in-laws this weekend for my MILs birthday, which required about a 30 minute highway drive. After the Jeep sat for a bit I noticed a small spot under the left rear corner panel, which was definitely gear oil. My former mechanic BIL and I took a look and determined the oil was leaking from the rear differential breather hose. A quick search on the forum (thanks @g.hayduke) and it looks like either the differential was overfilled (unlikely since it's been a few months) or the installer didn't create the necessary slot in the axle tube when installing the ARB air locker. Jeep is going to the shop next week to have Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks installed and I asked to have them investigate. I am glad to know the root cause but annoyed if it's the lack of the slot, which is clearly in the instructions. I am not taking it back to the original installer, as I am more confident in the new shop. I am guessing the highway drive created enough pressure to spit out enough oil for it to result in a small puddle? I haven't had it on the highway for more than a few miles since the gears, lockers, axles were installed. Annoying.

I wouldn't drive it much at speed until you get that resolved. I believe it could starve the gears for lubrication and possibly trash your new diff parts.

I wouldn't drive it much at speed until you get that resolved. I believe it could starve the gears for lubrication and possibly trash your new diff parts.

Thanks for the follow up. That is the plan. It's parked until I drive it over for service and I will be taking the slow route and avoiding the highway.

The lease on my Mini Cooper S was up so it was returned. Decided on a 2023 Toyota 4Runner Off Road Premium for my next daily driver, not that I drive much working from home. Anyway, it drives really nice and I am digging it. We plan to buy a small teardrop camper and will use the 4Runner as our travel and camping vehicle. Picked it up today after getting the TRD wheels and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires installed. Maybe a small lift in the future but the stance isn't bad as is.

IMG_0579.jpeg

Reactions: PNW_LJ
The lease on my Mini Cooper S was up so it was returned. Decided on a 2023 Toyota 4Runner Off Road Premium for my next daily driver, not that I drive much working from home. Anyway, it drives really nice and I am digging it. We plan to buy a small teardrop camper and will use the 4Runner as our travel and camping vehicle. Picked it up today after getting the TRD wheels and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires installed. Maybe a small lift in the future but the stance isn't bad as is.

View attachment 465388

An IFS rig? Blasphemy!

Just finished going through the build. Awesome progress! You've been able to do what we all wish we could and just pull the trigger on the big ticket items all at once! Definite build envy

Just finished going through the build. Awesome progress! You've been able to do what we all wish we could and just pull the trigger on the big ticket items all at once! Definite build envy

Thanks! It's come a long way in just over a year. A few things remaining but getting close to the end of my initial list.

Picked up the Jeep this afternoon from the shop. Fox 2.0 Performance Reservoir shocks installed and front and rear differentials serviced. Definitely a different ride with the Fox shocks. Feels a bit stiff but need to drive it more for a true evaluation. The slots in the axle tubes required for an ARB locker are there and the assumption is the rear diff was overfilled. Both the front and rear gears look good. That said, I still smell diff fluid after the drive home, though no fluid on the rear frame. I talked to the tech and he said he filled it per the dip stick (1.3 qt front, 2.4 qt rear) but it might be too much if I experience the same behavior. They are happy to drain a bit off as needed to determine the correct fill volume. Could the ARB cover be that misleading? Anyway, will see what happens after a few long rides and highway driving. Definitely happy the gears look good and I am looking forward to more miles on the new shocks. It feels more like my Mini Cooper S than an LJ with Rancho shocks. It handles bumps really well, it's just very responsive.

Reactions: L J