Talk me out of this sub 10k mile LJ

Dennis Collins is a great salesman and marketer-he may be making all of ours more valuable as a rising tide lifts all boats.

I can’t make any practical case for buying a jeep. None. But I know guys that have never lost money on them- one has had about 40.

Now, if you want to talk fun....

Who are you kidding? You cannot open the door on a newer car and reverse... it'll put itself into park.

@Zorba you don't like the tech, yet try to start and drive your TJ without the tech...
I'm not too happy with the "tech". What are many of the threads on this board about? Sensors and PCM. Even I'll admit that computer controlled engines run great - until they don't.

Are you serious about the car putting itself into park? Aside from a strong preference on my part for manuals, that's just dumb. I'd override that for sure - its even dumber than a clutch "safety" switch.

I guess my only question is what would be your asking price if your Wrangler had 500 miles today and was still flawless and untocuhed?

Its one of the tougher questions that these threads bring up that no one ever seems to want to answer.

Not a spec of dirt, chalk lines under the tub, not a spec of rust, never even seen the rain or wet roads.

Wonder what is everyone's answer for above question? Presumably a perfect TJ that has lower points of failure than modern cars with backup cameras is worth... more than a later model?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Wonder what is everyone's answer for above question? Presumably a perfect TJ that has lower points of failure than modern cars with backup cameras is worth... more than a later model?
It can be perfect condition but being that old parts are still not in the same condition as they were new. Accordingly, simply being low in miles should not magically make something astronomically expensive. You can nearly guarantee anything at that age even with low miles will still need work due to the age from all the parts just sitting forever. Plastics could be brittle, old fluids not offering protection, bearings ran dry, etc. Low miles should not ever be the one single factor for anything.

Reactions: Zorba
It all depends on the market, Is a 1932 Duesenburg SSJ , ( a 90 year old car ) worth more than a new S class Mercedes ???,
Some would argue no way.
Some would appreciate the quality, and artful design of the former, (even if the Duesenburg doesn't have WIFI or Adaptive cruise control ) .

Of course it's a personal decision, but so is drinking the new vehicle Kool - Aid as the answer to all ones transportation needs.

I guess my only question is what would be your asking price if your Wrangler had 500 miles today and was still flawless and untocuhed?

Its one of the tougher questions that these threads bring up that no one ever seems to want to answer.

Not a spec of dirt, chalk lines under the tub, not a spec of rust, never even seen the rain or wet roads.

CB basically ran the '04 MSRP through an inflation calculator given it's almost new, and added a finders fee:

1651439380429.png

FWIW I think the price is a bit high, but you're paying for convenience. Honestly OP, if you know you're going to keep it for a long time, have the means, and enjoy that it's basically a "new" car - hell go for it. Shoot them an offer and see what they say. You'll never get back what you paid, but it'll still hold value going forward. I bought my 100% clean, bone stock, 55k LJR in 2014 for a relatively high price of $22k and don't regret it at all.

The longer you keep it, the less it matters how much you paid for it. Just plan on putting in $5-10k easy to upgrade the Jeep if you don't plan on doing the work yourself and want 33s or 35s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
Back in 2010 I bought a 1985 Pontiac TA with 50k original miles. Driving it 1000 miles, I had to replace the starter, alternator, water pump, and transmission. The transmission and water pump were entirely due to dried out seals. The car was driven for only 5 years, then garaged... it was pretty, but the low miles did not help the car at all.

It's a hard question to answer, because the usual answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it". I'm sure there is someone out there willing to pay $70k for one, but it's probably a collector hoping they can store it in a garage for years and have it go up in value.

Buying an ultra low mileage Jeep to daily drive is never a good idea. I've owned older low mileage vehicles and they always have more issues than average mileage older vehicles. Sitting is bad for vehicles, even in a heated climate controlled environment. My '98 TJ has 160k miles on it, but was owned by an aircraft mechanic in southern California. It looks and drives like almost brand new.

Buying an ultra low mileage Jeep and driving it would be a worse financial investment than buying a high mileage one you keep having to fix. Driving an ultra low mileage vehicle will make it depreciate faster than a new car would.

It's a hard question to answer, because the usual answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it". I'm sure there is someone out there willing to pay $70k for one, but it's probably a collector hoping they can store it in a garage for years and have it go up in value.

Buying an ultra low mileage Jeep to daily drive is never a good idea. I've owned older low mileage vehicles and they always have more issues than average mileage older vehicles. Sitting is bad for vehicles, even in a heated climate controlled environment. My '98 TJ has 160k miles on it, but was owned by an aircraft mechanic in southern California. It looks and drives like almost brand new.

Buying an ultra low mileage Jeep and driving it would be a worse financial investment than buying a high mileage one you keep having to fix. Driving an ultra low mileage vehicle will make it depreciate faster than a new car would.
If daily driving it I'd look for a good rust free specimen and figure a new engine and trans would be the worst case scenario and that can be done for a lot less than $38k

Reactions: jeepguy03
If daily driving it I'd look for a good rust free specimen and figure a new engine and trans would be the worst case scenario and that can be done for a lot less than $38k
Yup, I'd rather take something with a clean rust-free body and put a 4.6L stroker and new AX-15 in it, customize the suspension, interior, etc, and you will still be way ahead on price while using better than OEM parts.

Reactions: Apparition
Hi all. I have my eyes set on a 2004 LJ with ~4k miles on it. 38k, located at Collins Brothers Jeep in Texas.

I would want this to be a daily driver, planning on putting ~10k miles on it yearly for commuting and fun. I need something that is reliable so I can get to work everyday.

This would also be my first jeep. Not looking to make any mods but to start getting acquainted with mechanical work.

I am hoping I can offset part of the steep cost by reselling the jeep in a few years with minimal depreciation.

Please talk me out of it if I am thinking about it the wrong way. Any mechanical issues that such low miles will bring?
OP, what did you end up getting?

I have to agree with some of the other comments above regarding daily driving a low-mileage TJUR. I have 42K on mine and it runs perfectly, so that isn't my issue. I am in the process of selling it (I already bought a JKUR) because, due to the mileage and condition, it keeps appreciating and I found myself less and less willing to add miles and certainly to take it off road, where things could get torn up.

I bought the Jeep (my 3rd, at the time) because (A) I have always loved the TJUR and (B) I wanted to enjoy all the great off-roading in NW Arkansas with my boys. I found as it appreciated that was averaging like 1,000 miles a year, all on pavement or occasionally in the snow, and we were not getting out as a family like I wanted to. It became a trophy and that is just what I was looking for.

In the two months I have owned my JK, I have put about 1,500 miles on it, including a really great trail ride with my boys. I have a more aggressive ride coming up in June, and a few planned trips with my sister who has a JKUR, so I could not be happier with my decision to make the switch to the JK.

Ok, everyone can boo me now. :)

Just to be clear on the post above, that is supposed to say "that is just NOT what I was looking for". LOL! Apparently, I am not so hot at proof reading when my kids are constantly calling my name.

I am still in the market for a LJU or LJR. I was close to a deal with a member of this forum but fell through due to difficulty of a peer to peer deal in different states. The feedback from folks around here has been awesome so please keep it coming.

One question I would get value from is seeing if TJ values have followed the exponential growth post pandemic- what would a good condition LJ go for in 2019?

One positive from this long search is I am confident in my choice. I have test driven several jeeps since then and it is clear JK is not for me. At this point I would rather buy a Subaru- the "wise" choice.