Tweezer's 2004 LJ

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't plan to do a TT, but I have been back and forth in my head about 33s vs 35s, for the exact reason you mentioned. I do want to set myself up for whatever comes in the future and build with the best parts so I am not redoing work potentially in the future. It will most certainly see waaaay more pavement than anything else, and I want it to drive amazingly. I figured to do that I had to spend some money, but it is probably overkill. Thanks again, I really do appreciate your point of view. It has me rethinking where I end up in the end.

TT is not necessary to do 35’s. With the parts you’re already installing you can run 33’s or 35’s (if you add a BL). Because you’re already building it the right way, the can of worms would come from a TT not from the 35’s.

Reactions: tweezer
Jack, two of my stands, and assorted tools have arrived and this guy is now on vacation. Woo! And, Crutchfield with the win on shipping my entire order in two days. Quadratec is a little slower, but I guess it is coming from Nevada. Looking forward to making some progress.

Reactions: Apparition
Silly question #1: Do I just lift the backend where the body meets the frame?

ya you're not really lifting it off the ground just taking the weight off the springs to gain some clearance, it's often done to access that rear track bar bolt on the axle too.

i don't see any damage to the RnP or spider gears. i might get the wheels off the ground and spin things ,listen to the carrier bearings make sure they don't sound like they are full of gravel. look down deep under the RnP and see how the pinion head teeth look , wiggle it in/out, up/down check for slop.

Silly question #2: After lifting the front end, just put it in neutral and spin the tires by hand, right?

I lift the rear axle, put Jack stands under the frame in front of the rear control arm mounts and then lower the axle back down.

this work better if you have to be tuggin and jerkin you don't wanna bet your fingers on a jack. either way use stands or blocks don't depend on the jack

Silly question #2: After lifting the front end, just put it in neutral and spin the tires by hand, right?

unless you got 4wheel locked it should not be engaged in the transfer case. the driveshaft and axle shafts will always spin, they are all clocked together. both wheels need to be up.

Reactions: tweezer
this work better if you have to be tuggin and jerkin you don't wanna bet your fingers on a jack. either way use stands or blocks don't depend on the jack

Ok, yep this makes sense. I had been worried about just this scenario, knowing how hard it was to get the bolts off of the front diff cover.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Should I go ahead and grab these rear lower shock mount extensions for the Savvy 4" kit? I didn't order them when I got the lift and currectlync, which shipped today but I don't think anything else has of yet. I am going to run Rancho 5000X shocks.

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9601

Keep in mind that the shock mount extensions will result in losing approximately 1" of shock travel.

Keep in mind that the shock mount extensions will result in losing approximately 1" of shock travel.

Thanks, Irun. I guess I was asking if I need them, which I am now guessing I don't?

Thanks, Irun. I guess I was asking if I need them, which I am now guessing I don't?

Best to get the lift installed, then check the shock clearance on the lower spring perch. If necessary you can always trim the lower perch to clear the shock.

Last edited:
Best to get the lift installed, then check the shock clearance on the lower spring perch. If necessary you can always trim the lower perch to clear the shock.

Ok, awesome. I wondered if that were the case. Thanks again.

I didn't get to much of what I intended to accomplish today, but was able to do some other stuff. I have some health conditions and woke up feeling poorly this morning. Almost had my wife take me to the ER, but shook it off and eventually got to work. I started by ordering Lubelockers for the front and rear. Scraping the seal off of the 30 sucked and I still have the 44 to do, so I don't want to have to do that again in the future. Those will be here by morning. I also ordered some wheel chocks, which will be here tonight. I planned to just use wood blocks, but my garage floor is painted/treated and it is slippery. Once the chocks arrive, I will get the backend on stands tonight so I am good to go in the morning. My 6 ton stands haven't arrived, but the 3 ton have. They will work to support the back end, no?

Since my plan for the day shifted, I decided to hunt down all and any tools I have, as well as my father in law's tool chest I got after he died. I got the toolbox organized and setup in the garage. I then put the jack together and unpacked the stands, torque wrenches, sockets, and the impact driver. I don't think the impact driver is going to be as helpful as I thought, but we shall see. From there I scrubbed the inside of the Dana 30 cover with a scrubby pad in an effort to remove some of the rust. It worked ok, not awesome. Then I installed the Ebay special seat risers I bought, and put on the brackets for the doors off mirrors. Lastly, I dumped the old diff fluid from the front, so that the pan is clean for the rear tomorrow. I don't need to tell you, but holy shit that oil freaking stinks so bad. I left it under the Jeep all week and it's nice to go out to the garage and not smell it.

Tomorrow I will drain and inspect the Dana 44 and put the covers back on both the 30 and 44 and fill them with fluid. I am interested to see if it makes a difference with the sound I have been hearing. After that, I am going to start on the sound system. Hopefully I get that done in one day, though I am replacing everything, so maybe not. I am going to wire up the harness tonight so that will be done.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
I didn't get to much of what I intended to accomplish today, but was able to do some other stuff. I have some health conditions and woke up feeling poorly this morning. Almost had my wife take me to the ER, but shook it off and eventually got to work. I started by ordering Lubelockers for the front and rear. Scraping the seal off of the 30 sucked and I still have the 44 to do, so I don't want to have to do that again in the future. Those will be here by morning. I also ordered some wheel chocks, which will be here tonight. I planned to just use wood blocks, but my garage floor is painted/treated and it is slippery. Once the chocks arrive, I will get the backend on stands tonight so I am good to go in the morning. My 6 ton stands haven't arrived, but the 3 ton have. They will work to support the back end, no?

Since my plan for the day shifted, I decided to hunt down all and any tools I have, as well as my father in law's tool chest I got after he died. I got the toolbox organized and setup in the garage. I then put the jack together and unpacked the stands, torque wrenches, sockets, and the impact driver. I don't think the impact driver is going to be as helpful as I thought, but we shall see. From there I scrubbed the inside of the Dana 30 cover with a scrubby pad in an effort to remove some of the rust. It worked ok, not awesome. Then I installed the Ebay special seat risers I bought, and put on the brackets for the doors off mirrors. Lastly, I dumped the old diff fluid from the front, so that the pan is clean for the rear tomorrow. I don't need to tell you, but holy shit that oil freaking stinks so bad. I left it under the Jeep all week and it's nice to go out to the garage and not smell it.

Tomorrow I will drain and inspect the Dana 44 and put the covers back on both the 30 and 44 and fill them with fluid. I am interested to see if it makes a difference with the sound I have been hearing. After that, I am going to start on the sound system. Hopefully I get that done in one day, though I am replacing everything, so maybe not. I am going to wire up the harness tonight so that will be done.

Pics (of the tools) or it didn’t happen…

🙂

Pics (of the tools) or it didn’t happen…

🙂

Ha! Nothing special but it's nice to have everything in one place, and make good use of the FIL's toolbox. I am a fan of the creeper/stool combo thing. And, I don't think the 3 ton jack stands are high enough to use. Chocks are here and I just took a look. The stands at their highest point are about the height of the frame with the wheels on the ground. 6 ton should be here tomorrow. Hopefully early in the day.

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpeg

Last edited:
I have one of those z creeper stools. Make sure you keep an eye on the bolts that hold the wheels on. They get loose constantly on mine.