U-joint exploded and left me stranded

Yeah this is what I think too and there is STILL slop in the caps even with the replacement u-joint...
So going back to my original question that no one's really answered yet... How often do rear pinion yokes fall out of spec? The only explanation I have for the slop in the new u-joint caps is that the rear pinion yoke has "spread out", meaning, the dimension of the two locations (where the rear pinion yoke interfaces to the two arms of the u-joint) has somehow increased, leading to the slop.
It is common to bend the yokes when you change out the u-joint if you screw up. It also could have bent when the u-joint failed. If it is spread or the holes are enlarged I think the yoke is toast. There should be no play in the new u-joint.

I have the same set up and I don't want to be in this boat but I'm having a hard time finding clarification on setting pinion angle.

I assume this is done with the full weight of the vehicle on the ground? Also how close does the angle need to match the driveshaft angle?

My cheap amazon digital angle finder is finikey but I think mine is set within a half degree of each other. By eye the pinion angle and drive shaft angle look spot on. Is this correct?

I did the same thing with my front drive shaft. Thanks!