U-joint exploded and left me stranded

I doubt it is a JJ but it is adjustable and given the bizarre angle of the bit of an upper you can see and the oddball lower mount, that points to some sort of aftermarket long arm kit of sorts. Also not sure why the parking brake cable is just cut.
Looks like a 4-link upper and the E-brake cables look intact.

So... I just noticed something. If you see the attached photo my driveshaft yoke on the transfer case end is not aligned with the driveshaft yoke on the rear diff side.... I think I remember seeing a video once talking about the harmonic motion of a driveshaft at an angle and a misalignment of the yokes causes extreme vibration. Is this right or nahh?

So... I just noticed something. If you see the attached photo my driveshaft yoke on the transfer case end is not aligned with the driveshaft yoke on the rear diff side.... I think I remember seeing a video once talking about the harmonic motion of a driveshaft at an angle and a misalignment of the yokes causes extreme vibration. Is this right or nahh?

View attachment 83100
Jerry already mentioned that.

Jerry already mentioned that.

Where? I just went back through the thread and didn't find anything from him mentioning that.
He had mentioned the rear pinion angle being too high.... but not anything about the orientation of the driveshaft yoke's with respect to eachother.

Where? I just went back through the thread and didn't find anything from him mentioning that.
He had mentioned the rear pinion angle being too high.... but not anything about the orientation of the driveshaft yoke's with respect to eachother.

I think those are synonymous, granted maybe an implication than a direct comment. A yoke being too high or low would imply the thing at the end (DS in this case) is also off alignment.

My apologies, I replied too fast. You are correct, they are out of phase with each other. You will need to pull the slip yoke off, turn it one spline and see if it lines up. If it does not, then the tube is twisted and needs to be fixed.

If one spline doesn't do it, then turn it almost 180 and try again. Some are keyed so they will only go on one way and that means it does need to be fixed if it is keyed.

I think those are synonymous, granted maybe an implication than a direct comment. A yoke being too high or low would imply the thing at the end (DS in this case) is also off alignment.
No, he's right, they should be in line with each other. I read his post wrong and thought he was talking about the pinion being too high which it is.

Reactions: rasband
Just to be clear, this guy had no vibes, blew a joint and now he has vibes.
What does the pinion angle have to do with that?
Wasn't it was running fine with the pinion angle just how it is?
I'd hate to waste this guys time jumping to conclusions.

My apologies, I replied too fast. You are correct, they are out of phase with each other. You will need to pull the slip yoke off, turn it one spline and see if it lines up. If it does not, then the tube is twisted and needs to be fixed.

If one spline doesn't do it, then turn it almost 180 and try again. Some are keyed so they will only go on one way and that means it does need to be fixed if it is keyed.

Okay I just wanted to clarify!
Thanks!

W

Well, I always had a LITTLE vibration. I just chalked it up to "Issa Jeep thing". However, the vibrations have gotten much worse after the destroyed u-joint was replaced. I mean, I can't even hear my own thoughts over the vibrations I feel between 30-45ish mph......

Vibrations can't just be lived with, you have to track the cause down and fix it. Vibrations will eventually take out u-joints, bearings, seals, etc.

Vibrations are not normal or acceptable at any level on a Jeep or any other vehicle for that matter. Any vibration indicates a problem.

Why did his u-joint fail?

Vibrations can't just be lived with, you have to track the cause down and fix it. Vibrations will eventually take out u-joints, bearings, seals, etc.

Vibrations are not normal or acceptable at any level on a Jeep or any other vehicle for that matter. Any vibration indicates a problem.

Roger that. I'll definitely have to adjust the slip yoke, replace the rear pinion yoke, and install the non-greasable Spice u-joint and see how the ride is.

Why did his u-joint fail?
Looking at the picture of it, it appears to have run out of lubrication, powdered the needle bearings or seized them up and then the heat melted the end of the pins to the point they were finally able to leave the restraint of the cap. Based purely on how the joint looks. The increasing vibration tells us the joint was dying from extra slop in the caps.

Looking at the picture of it, it appears to have run out of lubrication, powdered the needle bearings or seized them up and then the heat melted the end of the pins to the point they were finally able to leave the restraint of the cap. Based purely on how the joint looks. The increasing vibration tells us the joint was dying from extra slop in the caps.

Yeah this is what I think too and there is STILL slop in the caps even with the replacement u-joint...
So going back to my original question that no one's really answered yet... How often do rear pinion yokes fall out of spec? The only explanation I have for the slop in the new u-joint caps is that the rear pinion yoke has "spread out", meaning, the dimension of the two locations (where the rear pinion yoke interfaces to the two arms of the u-joint) has somehow increased, leading to the slop.

Reactions: T Crawford
If you run them in the CV or Double Carden at the t-case, you give up a fair bit of misalignment in the drive shaft. The 1330 has the least amount of running angle of the common DC joints. 1310 and 1350 have the most. 1350 is way overkill for anything less than 37's and spirited driving to justify the expense over a 1310.

On rigs with bigger tires, we'll run a 1350 at the rear 60 and then a 1310 front since the driveshaft is typically smaller and easily overwhelmed by a DC joint that large. I might run a 1330 at the rear pinion yoke if I think it will save blowing up the 1350 DC.

Just to make sure I am understanding.
You run a 1350 DC shaft on the rear and then a 1330 RC shaft on the front axle? I've not had clearance issues with the large driveshaft I have on my front axle but have always worried about it. When I had my shaft built I got some bad advice from a vendor who gave me the wrong measurement instructions and also had me upgrade to 1350 for my front shaft.

IMG00814.jpg

Just to make sure I am understanding.
You run a 1350 DC shaft on the rear and then a 1330 RC shaft on the front axle? I've not had clearance issues with the large driveshaft I have on my front axle but have always worried about it. When I had my shaft built I got some bad advice from a vendor who gave me the wrong measurement instructions and also had me upgrade to 1350 for my front shaft.

View attachment 83115
We only run two Double Cardan joints. We only run 1 size on the front, 1310. In the back, we run either 1310 or 1350 Double Cardan joints. If we blow up too many 1310 H bars in the Double Cardan, we switch to 1350. At the front pinion, we run mostly 1310 or a conversion joint. In the back we run 1310, 1350, or maybe a 1330 to get slightly less beef than a 1350. We want the pinion joint to break first if possible. Much cheaper repair if it doesn't blow up the tube from slinging around.