U-Joint Woes (Help)

Success.

They (and I) just needed a little encouragement. A 3lb mini sledge did the trick. Thanks everyone.
P_20220831_223345.jpg

I was going to say make absolutely sure all of the snap ring is removed. Had the tips of them break off and hold things up. As for joint removal I use the vise and hammer method pictured. Hammer of choice is a 40oz dead blow ball peen. Most other methods run risk of pinching the yoke.

View attachment 354459

Noob question-
I see how it's done when you have half of it out. Thank you.
How should you place the joint to remove it while you still have it connected with all 4 lobes?

Noob question-
I see how it's done when you have half of it out. Thank you.
How should you place the joint to remove it while you still have it connected with all 4 lobes?

It's the same, just place the yoke ears on the vise edges.
Tip #1: elevate the long shaft end on wood blocks
Tip #2: start by removing the joint from the stub end first
Tip #3: don't be scared. Beat the living hell out of it.

It's the same, just place the yoke ears on the vise edges.
Tip #1: elevate the long shaft end on wood blocks
Tip #2: start by removing the joint from the stub end first
Tip #3: don't be scared. Beat the living hell out of it.

I start with taking the caps out if the inner first as it gives me more control to not hit the flinger/abs ring on the outer. Sometimes with tougher shafts and extra pair of hands makes a big difference.

Reactions: PRNDL
Wow, looking at the amount of corrosion on that axle I think I would be looking at some new axles instead of rebuilding the existing.

Hell that is nothing compared to some of the stuff I deal with up here.

I start with taking the caps out if the inner first as it gives me more control to not hit the flinger/abs ring on the outer. Sometimes with tougher shafts and extra pair of hands makes a big difference.

Thanks.
I wasn't sure if it was a good thing to put the yoke ears on the vise.

Reactions: PRNDL