Unable to pass emissions

I think maybe you need to take your own advice because it's very simple. You must be overthinking it.
Not overthinking anything. If the ready monitors won't ready because they need to be subjected to the actual drive cycle, you won't readily duplicate it by just driving around. When is the last time anyone with a Jeep TJ idled it for 4 minutes, did a cold soak, idled it for 5 minutes, and then drove around smoothly in stop and go traffic at specific speeds with the gas tank between full and 1/2 full?

If you apply just a bit of critical thinking to the actual words in the link and what they mean, you, or most will anyway, quickly understand they are not normal every day driving. If yours reset, then it wasn't a ready monitor issue.

http://wranglertjforum.com/threads/unable-to-pass-emissions.1138/

Not overthinking anything. If the ready monitors won't ready because they need to be subjected to the actual drive cycle, you won't readily duplicate it by just driving around. When is the last time anyone with a Jeep TJ idled it for 4 minutes, did a cold soak, idled it for 5 minutes, and then drove around smoothly in stop and go traffic at specific speeds with the gas tank between full and 1/2 full?

If you apply just a bit of critical thinking to the actual words in the link and what they mean, you, or most will anyway, quickly understand they are not normal every day driving. If yours reset, then it wasn't a ready monitor issue.

http://wranglertjforum.com/threads/unable-to-pass-emissions.1138/

Those are not step by step instructions, those are instructions to guarantee monitor cycles. As in letting it idle for 4 min guarantees that it happens, driving at certain speeds for certain lengths of time guarantees it happens. Not that letting it idle for 2 won't also trip it or a shorter drive. Also they can happen at the same time. Most of them are very similar and one drive around town might satisfy 3-4 monitors. Again you are over thinking it.

The OP stated he just replaced his battery and this is obviously his problem. A weekend drive will most likely work for his situation.

Those are not step by step instructions, those are instructions to guarantee monitor cycles. As in letting it idle for 4 min guarantees that it happens, driving at certain speeds for certain lengths of time guarantees it happens. Not that letting it idle for 2 won't also trip it or a shorter drive. Also they can happen at the same time. Most of them are very similar and one drive around town might satisfy 3-4 monitors. Again you are over thinking it.

The OP stated he just replaced his battery and this is obviously his problem. A weekend drive will most likely work for his situation.
Not overthinking anything if you go back to my first reply to you. IF you are having a ready monitor ISSUE, it is highly unlikely that just driving around will duplicate the drive cycle and if you go read what the drive cycle is for each monitor, it is very easy to see why.

I didn't say driving around wouldn't ready them, nor did I say he had to do a complete drive cycle.

Not overthinking anything if you go back to my first reply to you. IF you are having a ready monitor ISSUE, it is highly unlikely that just driving around will duplicate the drive cycle and if you go read what the drive cycle is for each monitor, it is very easy to see why.

I didn't say driving around wouldn't ready them, nor did I say he had to do a complete drive cycle.
Maybe go back a read my first post that you quoted again. Then go back and read the original post. I still stand by it. You are over complicating something simple.

Just when you thought this thread was dead . . . its back.

I didn't get my jeep smogged today,but not for lack of trying.

Unfortunately,the O2 Sensor Heater readiness monitor showed incomplete which would have been an automatic fail. Fortunately, the owner of the testing facility checks for readiness with an OBDII scan tool before filling out a work order or taking a customer's money. (Yes, I should have done it myself before leaving home, but it had completely slipped my mind that the battery had been disconnected when my heater core was replaced 2 1/2 weeks ago and that I had driven my jeep less than 50 miles since.)

I tried driving around town and a quick round trip to the town 10 miles down the road but that didn't complete the drive cycle. So I went home, let my jeep cool down for half a day, then did another course of around town and Interstate driving. No joy - the O2 Sensor Heater Monitor drive cycle is still incomplete.

I may or may not have an issue with a monitor, but I've driven 105 miles since the battery was disconnected on different days in different conditions and I'm still not smog test ready, so I am now going to test my reading comprehension abilities by following advice given in the Chrysler Drive Cycle Information linked by @mrblaine and perform only the O2 Sensor Heater Monitor Drive Trace rather than the All Monitor Drive Trace.

Stay tuned, I'll let you know in the morning how it turns out.

From Instructions for All Monitor Drive Trace:

"NOTE: Due to the limited preconditions provided with this drive trace, NCVECS recommends using the monitor specific drive traces for Chrysler vehicles." [Emphasis supplied.]

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor Drive Trace

Pre-Conditioning Requirements:

- MIL must be off.

Driving Procedure

1) Idle vehicle for five minutes (to reach closed loop operation).

2) Shut engine off and leave vehicle off for ten minutes.

Unfortunately,the O2 Sensor Heater readiness monitor showed incomplete which would have been an automatic fail.

I've dealt with this in the past. You will pass barring other issues. See: Smog check OBD reference - BAR

"Jeep 2005-2006 Wrangler O2 sensor, O2 heater, and catalyst readiness monitors may indicate not ready.

Vehicle design anomaly.

TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A contains wiring modification to make vehicle ready.

OIS allows incomplete O2 heater monitor"

Last edited:
Does the provision on page 22 of the 10/12/18 B.A.R. Smog Check OBD Reference you linked mean that a test station can run my test with an incomplete O2 Sensor Heater Monitor or does it mean that I have to modify the wiring in my jeep per the T.S.B?

Is this book something that every test station has and will follow or will I need to contact the local smog referee?

Does the provision on page 22 of the 10/12/18 B.A.R. Smog Check OBD Reference you linked mean that a test station can run my test with an incomplete O2 Sensor Heater Monitor or does it mean that I have to modify the wiring in my jeep per the T.S.B?

Is this book something that every test station has and will follow or will I need to contact the local smog referee?

The CA Bureau of Automotive Repair made an exception because of this manufacturer fault and will pass the vehicle with the incomplete heater readiness monitor. You can do the TSB (factory instructions are available on this site) which only involves cutting a few wires and connecting them to other wires if you wish but it's not necessary to pass. My smog guy knew about the exception but you can always download it or print out the exception and bring it with you.

The CA Bureau of Automotive Repair made an exception because of this manufacturer fault and will pass the vehicle with the incomplete heater readiness monitor. You can do the TSB (factory instructions are available on this site) which only involves cutting a few wires and connecting them to other wires if you wish but it's not necessary to pass. My smog guy knew about the exception but you can always download it or print out the exception and bring it with you.
So glad I live in a state that does not have so many rules and laws to place a vehicle on the road. Seems to me just more ways to get deeper into your pockets.

So glad I live in a state that does not have so many rules and laws to place a vehicle on the road. Seems to me just more ways to get deeper into your pockets.

This is envy is ignorance in reverse, not condemning I think we all do it just saying everyone has their cross(es) to bear. I don’t deal with this California smog issue either but I can’t drive my TJ today because the road is covered in salt 😩.

Reactions: L J

I don't mind the smog checks. It's $50 every two years for the Jeep ... BFD. The rest of the government sucks, though. And Indiana has smog checks as well. ;)

Our smog check and monitoring system is sorta bullshit and sorta not. Were it not in place and working very hard at reducing smog levels, we'd make China look like a bunch of rank amateurs when it comes to pollution. It wasn't that long ago that it was just terrible due to geography and the sheer numbers.

Basic google search shows that the whole state of Indiana has around 2.3 million registered vehicles on the road. Los Angeles County (a single county) has 6.5 million autos and 1.1 million trucks. Add in the counties in proximity, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside and you can add another 5.8 million autos and trucks.

So yeah, it does suck that we have to pay for cleaner air, but it is rare that anyone gets a mud flap ticket. We don't have bumper or headlight height laws, doors on laws, and no brake and light inspections annually.

My biggest issue are the requirements. If they were solely in the interest of cleaner air, they would check the emissions levels at the tail pipe and if it passes for that year and model, it wouldn't matter what was under the hood or what cat you have or what intake you have or any other what you have.

Yeah, I'd take our (Oregon) goofy DEQ inspection any day over some of the other state's "safety" inspections.

This is envy is ignorance in reverse, not condemning I think we all do it just saying everyone has their cross(es) to bear. I don’t deal with this California smog issue either but I can’t drive my TJ today because the road is covered in salt 😩.
I don't think anyone out there wouldn't be happy to trade a smog check or two for a rusted out frame.

I've dealt with this in the past. You will pass barring other issues. See: Smog check OBD reference - BAR

"Jeep 2005-2006 Wrangler O2 sensor, O2 heater, and catalyst readiness monitors may indicate not ready.

Vehicle design anomaly.

TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A contains wiring modification to make vehicle ready.

OIS allows incomplete O2 heater monitor"

This
The X-51 extended warranty O2 sensor wire repair for monitor readiness emissions testing.
Go to the dealership and have them run a VIP report and that report will show if your Jeep is covered under warranty, o2 sensor wire modification
If I had your VIN # I could look it up for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The X-51 extended warranty O2 sensor wire repair for monitor readiness emissions testing.
Go to the dealership and have them run a VIP report and that report will show if your Jeep is covered under warranty, o2 sensor wire modification
If I had your VIN # I could look it up for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer. PM sent with VIN.

Reactions: TJDon
Our smog check and monitoring system is sorta bullshit and sorta not. Were it not in place and working very hard at reducing smog levels, we'd make China look like a bunch of rank amateurs when it comes to pollution. It wasn't that long ago that it was just terrible due to geography and the sheer numbers.

Basic google search shows that the whole state of Indiana has around 2.3 million registered vehicles on the road. Los Angeles County (a single county) has 6.5 million autos and 1.1 million trucks. Add in the counties in proximity, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside and you can add another 5.8 million autos and trucks.

So yeah, it does suck that we have to pay for cleaner air, but it is rare that anyone gets a mud flap ticket. We don't have bumper or headlight height laws, doors on laws, and no brake and light inspections annually.

My biggest issue are the requirements. If they were solely in the interest of cleaner air, they would check the emissions levels at the tail pipe and if it passes for that year and model, it wouldn't matter what was under the hood or what cat you have or what intake you have or any other what you have.
I definitely remember the smog being really bad in Long Beach CA where I grew up as a kid in the 50's & 60's. It'd be so bad at times we couldn't see our local mountains and our lungs hurt when we ran. It was so bad at times that my school would keep everyone inside as much as possible and there were no outside activities during gym class. Smog was bad then, I haven't seen it like it was when I was a kid in many years.

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping

When I moved to San Francisco in 98, I had my car smogged. It passed all the CARB requirements, but I had to pay an extra $300 because my underhood sticker didn't say CARB. The guy who did the test said, Welcome to California - bend over.

A few years later, I got my money back (somebody sued).