Uncaged's long overdue maintenance and build thread

After breaking the track bar axle bolt, replacing it, and torquing it properly I decided to revisit the tire balancing. Now it rides smooth again.

Now I need to get back to changing fluids. My local mechanic said that he would change the transmission filter, do a complete fluid flush, change the t-case fluid and both differentials for $250. As much work as I have put into correcting the tires I am seriously considering paying him to do the fluid changes.

Next up... re-gear.

This morning I talked with two local shops about re-gearing my axles. Keep in mind my regular use, we might call this my daily driver (after the motorcycles); 70% highway (60-70 mph), 25% in-town (0-50 mph), 5% or less off pavement (sandy forest roads with a few washouts), no mudding or hill climbing. Currently running 31" tires on 2" Pro Comp springs; 4.0L, 32RH 3 spd auto and 3.07 gearing in Dana 30 & 35. Not really planning on going larger, only a slim chance of going to 32" or 33" tires with a body lift once the current 31s get worn out. I am thinking 3.73 because of mostly highway driving and only light off-roading... maybe 3.55 but there is only about 125 rpm difference on the highway.

First shop asked a bunch of questions to determine my intended use and possible future build plans. They brought up the debate about 3.55 because of the highway use and light off-roading. Either way it involved new ring and pinion plus carriers and estimated $2,200.

Second shop does a lot of big builds for more extreme off-roaders. He only asked "which rear axle do you have" before recommending a trussed and, rebuilt Ford 8.8 with new disc brakes and emergency brake plus the gears and carrier for the Dana 30. If I understood correctly, the estimated cost was around $4000-4500 (but that may have only been the rear axle). We did eventually get around to the other information about my build and use but he kept to the Ford 8.8 because it is "bullet-proof." His next suggestions would be rebuilding a Dana 44... if he could find one.

Your thoughts on the shops or their recommendations are much appreciated.

Thank you!

Gears are on backorder, so I completed a couple other projects over the Thanksgiving week. Installed a winch and added 1.25" wheel spacers. I am liking both.

The winch: Smittybuilt XRC 9.500 lb. Plenty for what I may require. Most likely it will only get run for maintenance and inspection.
Winch.jpg

The wheel spacers make a subtle difference. Instead of the wheels being completely inside the fender flares now the sidewalls stick out but the tread is under the flares. I like it.
Wheels with spacers.jpg

Reactions: OnlyJeeps
Had the gears changed to 3.73 the other day, now I am waiting on the new gear to correct speedometer.

Two questions. First, is it okay that there is a slight whine when coasting? When I let off the gas and coast I notice a quiet whine once the driveline slack is taken up and the tires are pushing the motor. Honestly, I do not know that it was not there before but it caught my attention after the gearing was changed. Second, should I change the gear oil before the next regularly scheduled interval?