Up Next: Radio Project

Day 3: I boxed the radio back up and did a return through Amazon. I decided to go up a step and get a radio with a few more features. Scheduled for delivery on the 3rd. I did run the rear camera cable from the front to the rear. I am going to flush mount the camera in the middle of the bumper.

Also spent $10 on a nice set of rear fender liners a lady was selling local. One of mine was butchered when the PO did the trailer wiring hack job.

Day 4: A lot of sideways movement.

The new radio arrived Wednesday. Today I sorted the brackets and test fitted the radio and bezel. On the left side, the double din bracket screws into the plastic dash. I tried to install u clips but they were too long. I cut a chunk off with the Dremal and all is well.

The bulb housing for the shifter light broke, I had to stop and repair that.

The three wires on the HVAC control panel keep falling off. After reattaching twice, I took the HVAC panel out. Tomorrow I wiill lengthen the wires and reinstall the panel, shifter bezel and handle, then start on the radio again.

I planned on wrapping this install up in 2 days. Now I am hoping to have the radio and reverse camera done by this weekend.

Reactions: Jack72
5 Days over a 13 day period, it is finally in and functional.

I put the mic on the roll bar cover and the gps antenna is magnetic, so I stuck it on the A-pillar.

I am not satisfied with the phone holder I bought. I love it, but it obstructs the view out the windshield, so I did not install it.

Radiowire.jpg

Mic.jpg

To properly triangulate, and get the most amount of reception from GPS satellites, the antenna really should be horizontal. I would just velro/sticky tape it to the dash just ahead of the gauge cluster.

I still have to connect the E-brake lead and work on a camera solution on mine... I'm thinking the camera will be signalled off a switch I have on the dash, and be placed on the front of the Jeep for a trail-cam.

Did somebody say "Double DIN"?

View attachment 484214

Oh Zorba, that is so you! 😆

Day 2: Working on the wiring harness and phone mount/charger.

Any idea if these wires belong here?

I can't see where they go, the red wire was powering the old radio and is constant power. If you left the radio on, it would run the battery down.

I don't think the blue wire was connected to anything.

I pulled a few fuses, most are old and corroded, some are the incorrect amperage, so I am replacing them all.

Back to the red and blue wires, if they don't belong, I am taping and tucking them.

View attachment 486640

Did you say this traced out to the rear of the vehicle? Might be a reverse trigger wire. Kinda looks like the switched & unswitched trigger wires Jeep gives you from the factory but since you traced them, I guess not.

What new hat unit did you go with?

Reactions: Zorba
This is my wireless charging setup.
Add a fuse in the glovebox + apple mag charger. Keeps the dash clear and the upper tray useable.

HU is the Joying Android which does wireless apple and android CarPlay.

View attachment 484210

View attachment 484211

View attachment 484212

Can you post up a pic with the phone stuck to the charger and the e-brake down? I've been thinking about mounting mine there for a while but worried how it would be with the brake lever down.

Reactions: red02tj
To properly triangulate, and get the most amount of reception from GPS satellites, the antenna really should be horizontal. I would just velro/sticky tape it to the dash just ahead of the gauge cluster.

I still have to connect the E-brake lead and work on a camera solution on mine... I'm thinking the camera will be signalled off a switch I have on the dash, and be placed on the front of the Jeep for a trail-cam.

The e-brake lead just goes to ground. I grounded my e-brake lead and radio ground to the radio case, then ran a 10-gauge ground wire to the tub.

I use navigation off my phone, it is better and more up to date. If I am out of cell range and need the installed navigation, I can lay the antenna on the dash.

I bought an SSL off Amazon for $300. It boots quicker and is much more user friendly than the oem unit in my Santa Cruz.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Storm-...W-Multimedia/dp/B08NWJN22S?tag=wranglerorg-20

What's weird, is the HU I used does not have a chassis ground stud... Pioneer DMH-A4450BT is the HU I'm using. I'll just ground to a vehicle ground somewhere in the dash.

Do you know if the reverse lead to activate camera is a to ground connection, or does it need a 12v signal?

Amazon was great of the purchase... initially it said in stock. Ordered first week of December, and the estimated arrival was mid January... Called to cancel, as that was not o.k., they said they could not cancel the order as it was coming from out of country and to call if/when arrives and they would refund the money and not to bother sending it back in... thus my HU was free. It's an Australian market HU, but is working great so far.

Can you post up a pic with the phone stuck to the charger and the e-brake down? I've been thinking about mounting mine there for a while but worried how it would be with the brake lever down.

Let me know if you need more. I can fit my thumb between the phone and brake button but maybe not with winter gloves.

The charger plate is low enough so that case is supported by the trans tunnel and not hanging.

IMG_8146.jpeg

IMG_8145.jpeg

IMG_8150.jpeg

IMG_8149.jpeg

IMG_8148.jpeg

IMG_8147.jpeg

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
This guy explains the process pretty well.

The harness that runs from the HU to the camera has a yellow connector and a red lead on each end. On the HU side connect the red lead to the reverse wire. On the camera end, connect the red wire and the red wire off the camera to the reverse + wire.

The - camera wire I ground to the tub, not to the taillight harness like this guy does. The tub provides a much better ground.

I did not wire the front or rear camera leads, I have no need for them at this time.

I used a cup holder charger for mine making my phone much more accessible. My Android Auto is wireless, so I just place my phone in the holder and it automatically connects to Android Auto and charges my phone. The holder automatically grabs my phone, and releases it when I turn off my Jeep.

20230703_070515.jpg

• Face Palm
Reactions: Zorba and red02tj
My version:

The suction cup holder on the windshield is a no-go, that is a small windshield as it is.

I took an old license plate and used it as a backing plate to tie the phone holder into the two screws that hold the top of the radio bezel on.

The holder and phone puts quite a bit of weight on the plastic bezel and on the two plastic tabs that hold the bezel on. By tying the phone mount into the metal on the dash, it should be pretty stable.

The dash tray and radio bezel had a small gap between them, so I placed a fender washer between the two to tie both pieces together.

I will give it a couple weeks and see if it meets my expectations.

Cell1.jpg

Cell2.jpg