Up-travel: What's the big deal?

In a typical TJ setup(2"-4" lift), what else do we need to be aware of in terms of available uptravel? Tire size isn't the only factor.
As far as maintaining and adding to the travel?

-First and foremost, make sure the bump stops are only long enough to prevent damage.

-Make sure the shocks aren't too long for the available travel. Aim for a compressed and extended length that will get you close to a 50/50 split. Longer shocks have a longer compressed length and also require longer bump stops. Short shocks will limit down travel and may result in frequent over extension. Over extension is unpleasant on pavement.

-Is there excessive bump stop required for preventable interferences like a fat front diff cover hitting the track bar.

-Add sufficient lift to restore the travel lost by extending the bump stops.

-Consider a smaller tire. 31" tires will begin interfering with the front factory fenders at full flex. This is usually the beginning of the front bump stop requirements. 37s are big and require a lot of bump stop extension on an intact body.

-Consider moving/removing the body. Body lift, hi line fenders, cutting...

These are the more common things I can think of to be aware of. Lifting and modifying a Jeep is an exercise in balanced compromises. Adding bump stop extension is just a part of the process. Add enough bump. Add enough lift. Add enough clearance. Keep things in balance.

Last edited:
Needs more up! ;)
8 inches isn't enough?
IMG_1670.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Are those 4" air bumps?
So much for keeping this accessable! :)

I know there is a whole area of interesting discussion surrounding the various bump stop options and how they can relate to the shock damping.

Last edited:
My rear track bar relocation bracket hit the tub before the tires got anywhere near the wheel wells. The body lift helped with that. Now the shocks are the limiter, so bump stops were added to keep the shocks from bottoming out.

Reactions: Chris
My rear track bar relocation bracket hit the tub before the tires got anywhere near the wheel wells. The body lift helped with that. Now the shocks are the limiter, so bump stops were added to keep the shocks from bottoming out.
I can see that. The body lift went in very early on in my build so I never saw that happen on mine.

Last edited:
I had thought I heard someone mention that with the Savvy mid-arm, it might even be more beneficial to have even more than 1.25" of body lift.

Last edited:
I had thought I heard someone mention that with the Savvy mid-arm, it might even be more beneficial to have more than 1.25" of bump stop.

Did you mean "body lift"? I can pretty much guarantee you have more than 1.25" of bumpstop extension.

It requires that amount of body lift for the frame mounts alone. More wouldn't help unless other areas get clearenced.